• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 brandta

brandta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

We have a new Jeep Wrangler and are flat towing it.  Despite the salesman's assurances, we discovered (the hard way) that two days of towing will deplete the car's battery (Jeep manual says to disconnect the battery ground.)

Now here are my issues:

1.  We are using an auxillary brake (Blue Ox Patriot) that requires battery power.  If I disconnect the Jeep battery I will need to do an end run around the disconnect for the brake power.

2.  Does disconnecting the battery impact the circuits for running the lights?  My ground from the coach is connected to the battery ground on the Jeep.

3.  I can add a charge circuit from the coach to the Jeep although most kits don't include the wire/connector for the charge line and if it were to fail I wouldn't know I wasn't charging the battery.

4.  Anything I haven't thought of yet?

Any experiences/ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Alan Brandt

#2 kingfr

kingfr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • I travel:With Pets, Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:11 PM

Did you have the ignition off and the key in your pocket? We towed a 2012 Wrangler Rubicon for multiple days many times with no battery issues!

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot
Allie - Beagle

Rascal - Beagle

2015 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Toad
F294035
"Not All Who Wander Are Lost"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

#3 brandta

brandta

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

In Reply...Key was in the ignition in "acc" position as per the owners manual...only way to unlock the steering that I know of.

#4 kingfr

kingfr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • I travel:With Pets, Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 09 January 2014 - 04:29 PM

Unless they have made a major change from 2012, there is no steering lock on the late model Wrangers. They dropped the lock in 2010. My 2012 had no lock, and my current Grand Cherokee has no lock. If you left the key on Accessory, that is why the battery drained. It has been posted on more than one forum that the owner's manual is just plain incorrect in this regard. If you download the latest version of the 2014 Wangler Users Guide and go to the section on flat towing, you will find no mention of leaving the key in or disconnecting the battery. (I just did, Page 93) Go out and turn the wheel with the key in your pocket and see if I am wrong!

Frank
Kay - Co-pilot
Allie - Beagle

Rascal - Beagle

2015 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Toad
F294035
"Not All Who Wander Are Lost"
"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

#5 drj07

drj07

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

Our 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited has no steering wheel lock nor have we every had a battery discharged.  We have towed almost 10,000 miles this year during a trip to Alaska and now down to Florida.  Shift transmission or transfer case to neutral, put the key in your pocket after locking the door.  It is a wonderful vehicle to tow behind any capable motorhome.

Don Jacobs

2007 Tiffin Allegro Bay 37QDB FRED

2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

#6 Elkhartjim

Elkhartjim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:16 PM

drj07,

I tow a 2005 Wrangler automatic and a 2014 Wrangler automatic.  Both manuals are very specific about the transmission being in Park and the transfer case in Neutral.  If you're towing with the automatic tranny in neutral and the transfer case in gear, you're possibly doing damage.

Jim Sims
2008 38S Fleetwood Bounder DP

Houston, TX area

#7 HenryPatterson

HenryPatterson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 10 January 2014 - 10:32 AM

We tow 2011 Wrangler Rubicon ..There is no lock on steering wheel either!!  We make sure tranny is in park(auto trans)and transfer case is in neutral,key in pocket, and your ready to go..Toooo easy!

Butch

#8 majorberry

majorberry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 03:57 PM

drj07,

I tow a 2005 Wrangler automatic and a 2014 Wrangler automatic.  Both manuals are very specific about the transmission being in Park and the transfer case in Neutral.  If you're towing with the automatic tranny in neutral and the transfer case in gear, you're possibly doing damage.

x2 on 2014

2005 Itasca Sunrise 33V, W20 WH, 2014 Wrangler Unlimited, NSA ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, CoolTech Harness

#9 Carolbrown

Carolbrown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 10:34 PM

Great information! I am new to RVing and just joined FMCA. I also just bought a 2014 Jeep Wrangler and am in the process of gathering information on how to tow it. I will most likely have to buy my tow bar, brakes and lights bit by bit. Any information or suggestions on how and what to purchase to get started would be greatly appreciated! I was pretty shocked at the cost the RV dealerships have quoted me to have it all done at once.

Thanks,

Carol

2008 Winnebago Aspect

2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport

#10 majorberry

majorberry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:09 PM

Great information! I am new to RVing and just joined FMCA. I also just bought a 2014 Jeep Wrangler and am in the process of gathering information on how to tow it. I will most likely have to buy my tow bar, brakes and lights bit by bit. Any information or suggestions on how and what to purchase to get started would be greatly appreciated! I was pretty shocked at the cost the RV dealerships have quoted me to have it all done at once.

Thanks,

Carol

2008 Winnebago Aspect

2014 Jeep Wrangler Sport

If you get a NSA ReadyBrute Elite tow bar you will also get toad brake system included.  You can research the ReadyBrute and find many happy users.  I went with Blue Ox base plates due to quality company and install was easier than Roadmaster.  For lights I went with CoolTech which is easy install and priced reasonable.  You can Google to find vendors and pricing.  I think you will find this system much less than MH dealer.

2005 Itasca Sunrise 33V, W20 WH, 2014 Wrangler Unlimited, NSA ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, CoolTech Harness

#11 Carolbrown

Carolbrown

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:29 PM

Thanks Majorberry...I will definitely research your recommendations! 

That was easy...<smile>

#12 CarolinaNomads

CarolinaNomads

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • I travel:Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 16 January 2014 - 11:56 PM

Bought a 2014 Rubicon JKU 6 weeks ago. Used Cool Tech harness and was very impressed with ease of installation and quality of the harness. Would buy again.
http://www.cooltechl...rness_kit.shtml

Used Blueox base plate, easy to install yourself. Took about an hour with common hand tools.
Bought it on Amazon for $358.00 free shipping.

Enjoy!
2004 Newmar Dutch Star Model 4025 370 Cummins Spartan Chassis
2006 Jeep Wrangler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users