• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Racer042

Racer042

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 09:33 AM

My wife and I are looking at larger RV's and are looking at a repo Alfa See Ya Gold 40 ft unit.  My friends who have had a Alfa all loved them and the unit looks great.  I know about the paint problems and am prepared to budget money for a repaint.

I have also heard that some of the Alfa RV's did not have adequate basement air to keep the coach cool in Florida (where I live).  I am getting more information about the unit later today, but wanted to hear from others who have or have had this RV.

Thanks in advance

Racer042

#2 ClayL

ClayL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

I don't think it was a paint issue but rather a pitting of the fiberglass problem. The repair costs I saw quoted back when the problem surfaced were very high.

Clay (WA5NMR), Lee (Wife), katie & Kelli (cats)
Full timer domiciled in SD for 11 years. Now snow birds with a house in western CO
2004 Winnebago Sightseer 35N - Workhorse chassis

#3 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 01:59 PM

Clay is correct-- the issue is with the fiberglass, not paint.  The only real "solution" was whole exterior side wall replacement.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#4 Racer042

Racer042

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 02:34 PM

I am learning that the problem was osmotic blisters and an inherent defect with the fiberglass made by Cooper Industries.  I am leaning towards something else, like a Fleetwood Discovery.  We currently have a 2001 36 ft Fleetwood Discovery and the exterior is still very nice.  Thanks for the feedback.

#5 Erniee

Erniee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 07:28 PM

I stayed in an Alfa a few years ago while in California. I believe this unit had the tallest ceiling of any coach I have been in. There was so much storage that it would be a full timers dream. The basement air- with the air coming up from the floor, although quiet, was pretty dismal cooling the coach. I would have added a couple of roof airs in place of the ceiling vents, if it was mine.

Ernie Ekberg
Bluebird Wanderlodge- 43

Weatherford, Tx

#6 deenad

deenad

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:38 PM

I looked at them, and found that even the Gold had too many shortcuts in quality and manufacturing for my liking. I think the bean counters got too much their way and the quality suffered.

Deen
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 4090 350/1050 W/Banks (now 435/1200)
Towing an '05 Honda Odyssey four down
RV'ing since 1957
FMCA f47302s
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users