Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Raising Tag Axle on Newmar Motorhome

tag axle dump switch

Best Answer washbob, 24 January 2014 - 05:28 PM

The tag axle on the Newmar will not raise.   All the tag axle dump does is dump the air and take some of the weight off the tag to assist with turning.   It automatically engages when you shift into reverse & if I recall correctly it only works under 10-15 mph in forward.   I use to own a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star & from reading the manual that was how it operated.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 washtech

washtech

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:05 AM

Newbie looking for help with tag axle question.

I understand the purpose of the tag axle on a coach and I further understand that tight turns can be assisted with raising the tag axle. However, I haven't been able to find any info about how to operate the tag on my 2004 Newmar.

There is a switch labeled "tag axle dump." Therefore, am I to assume the tag axle is "normally" held in the "down" position by "air pressure" and if I push the "dump" switch it releases that air pressure and the tag axle automatically raises up? If that's the case, does it then automatically go back into the "down" position after a certain period of time or upon certain actions of the coach? 

Thanks for any help.

#2 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

Washtech,

Is your switch a momentary or 2 position? If it is a 2 position then here is what I would do. First I would dump the air and then go out and check to see if the Tag Axle wheels are raised up off the ground. Then I would go back in the coach reverse the switch and go back out and check to see if the wheels have lowered. That would answer your question about the raising and lowering the Tag.

I understand that some tags will go down after you exceed a certain MPH. My Dynasty will stay up till I reverse the switch. It does have a alarm but I can't hear it but the DW can and will let me know to "Lower the Tag dummy".

Herman

"Fair winds and Following Seas"

Herman & Bobbie Mullins, F302225
Whitewright, TEXAS
'02 Monaco Dynasty, 40-foot 400 HP ISL
Chevrolet Silverado (M & G air brakes)
U.S. Navy PR-3 1956 to 1964

Southern Region Vice President for Six-State Rally Association
Lone Star Chapter FMCA Past President
South Central Lucky Rollers
Rally in The Pasture

#3 washtech

washtech

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 10:37 AM

Thanks Herman I'll give that a try and let you know what happens.

Washtech

#4 washbob

washbob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 05:28 PM   Best Answer

The tag axle on the Newmar will not raise.   All the tag axle dump does is dump the air and take some of the weight off the tag to assist with turning.   It automatically engages when you shift into reverse & if I recall correctly it only works under 10-15 mph in forward.   I use to own a 2005 Newmar Dutch Star & from reading the manual that was how it operated.

#5 washtech

washtech

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 08:17 AM

Thanks Guys:

I tired what Herman had said and it actually worked as washbob indiciated. I really wish the manufacturer provided more "detailed" info on these type matters, as I find nothing in the owner's manual with much detail on systems operations. But, I'm learning through trial & error and most especially through communication with experienced owners such as you folks. Thanks again.

Not sure I can ask this but I'll give it a try. Washbob are you in the car wash business, as I am?

Thanks again,

Washtech

#6 washbob

washbob

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 January 2014 - 12:21 PM

Not in the car wash business.   Name is just a play on other factors.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users