#1 JohnJill

JohnJill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
  • I travel:With children, With Pets

Posted 26 February 2014 - 03:34 PM

Here I am again, looking for advise from my seniors. We have a 2007 40ft Meridian 400hp cat. Looking for any trick to improve my miles per gallon. Right now I'm about 6.9 empty 6.6 towing. Coach has been services oil, fuel filter, tire pressure. Either mileage is at speeds of 62 and even bumped it up to 70 still 6.9mph. Any tricks of the trade.

Thanks Again

John

#2 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:04 PM

John,

How many miles on the coach?

Air filter minder reading?

What is coach weight?  Toad weight?

Do you drive in "economy mode"?

At what speed do you go into 6th gear?  what RPM?

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#3 Planocat

Planocat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:09 PM

If your mileage is the same at 70 as it is at 62, you may be experiencing one of the following conditions. Your mileage is probably:

1. Understated at 62
2. Overstated at 70

My guess is you weren't experiencing the same conditions of headwinds, tailwinds, terrain, etc. On my coach and most I have heard of, there would be a major difference in mileage at the speeds you are quoting. But hey, I guess anything is possible. I've had motorhomes for 35 years and 70 mph isn't in my comfort zone. 62 is what I usually run..... But I can notice a decrease in mileage at 65.

Planocat F89699

"The Rodney Dangerfield of RVing"

I have the age, when do I get the wisdom?

#4 JohnJill

JohnJill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:17 PM

There is 31,000 miles on it all of the fluids and filters have been change less than 500miles ago. There is not a economy mode on this 6th gear I'm turning about 1500. And it could be my computer reading I have not checked it the non technology way, but will

#5 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:46 PM

John,

All Allison 3000 and 4000 transmissions have an economy mode option (button on shift pad labeled "MODE").

Please DO check mileage the "old fashion way" (miles divided by gallons less fuel used by generator). The computer can be well off.

You are approaching the first scheduled valve adjustment for your engine.  If the valves are out of adjustment, that can cause lowered MPG and HP.

Air filter minder reading?

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

#6 JohnJill

JohnJill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

I do have a Allison transmission not sure what series. Never seen a mode button on the electric shift plate

#7 John_Harris

John_Harris

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

I do find a good bit of difference between computer mileage and actual "old fashioned way" of figuring it. On one trip as much as 1 MPG difference with computer showing the lesser of the two. That said, i see bigger difference in speed variations than whether or not I am towing. At 62 to 65 MPH i seem to get in the 7.5 MPG range on average but at higher speeds like 70, i was closer to 6.8 when traveling relatively flat terrain. only .3 MPG or so difference when towing. I have gotten as high as 8.1 on trip from WV to Indy traveling light and 7.8 with toad at the lower speed and no AC. As stated by Planocat, my comfort zone has dropped to the 62 to 65 range and my pocket book seems to agree.

I am running a 400HP Cummins w/ Allison tranny in a 40ft Holiday pulling a Jeep Liberty.

John & Cathyrn Harris
2007 HR Endeavor 40 SKQ
2007 Jeep Liberty Toad

#8 hermanmullins

hermanmullins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,711 posts

Posted 26 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

John, watch Planocat, he just got his drivers license.

Some times I think Brett has his sail up when he has a trailing wind. :lol:

John, Bobbie and I generally get about the same as you. But as stated that is with the computer. If you have a GPS, set the mileage to zero when you fill up and check the mileage when you fill the next time. Subtract the beginning from the ending. Divide the miles by the amount of fuel used and you should get your true MPG. At the same time check you miles traveled against the GPS. Also check your speedometer against the GPS to see if your speedo is correct. I have found my speedo to be 5 MPH slower then my actual speed. The GPS is very accurate.  

Happy Trails

Herman

"Fair winds and Following Seas"

Herman & Bobbie Mullins, F302225
Whitewright, TEXAS
'02 Monaco Dynasty, 40-foot 400 HP ISL
Chevrolet Silverado (M & G air brakes)
U.S. Navy PR-3 1956 to 1964

Southern Region Vice President for Six-State Rally Association
Lone Star Chapter FMCA Past President
South Central Lucky Rollers
Rally in The Pasture

#9 WILDEBILL308

WILDEBILL308

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 10:43 AM

What Herman said. My GPS correction is +5.8% that can add up. My unit doesn’t shift into 6th until 65 mph. I would use at least 10 tanks to get an average that helps average in the conditions you are driving in.

Bill

2003 Bounder 38N
5.9 Cummins
Allison 3000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

#10 JohnJill

JohnJill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:47 PM

My gps and speedometer are the same, I assumed that people were pulling my leg when I heard the type of mileage they were claiming.

Thanks Again

#11 Allegiance40x

Allegiance40x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 27 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

When I adust my fuel mileage for fuel used by the generator, the Aqua Hot and when idling, my computer is right on.

#12 JohnJill

JohnJill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

Wolfe10

On the mode button is the economy on when the light is on?

#13 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:55 AM

Though it could be programmed either way I am not aware of any RV's that differ from "default to power mode" each time the engine is started.

So, pushing the mode button which turns on the mode light selects for ECONOMY mode.

But, it is quite to verify:

From a stoplight, with mode in the default setting (power mode), accelerate up to 45 MPH at or close to wide open throttle.  Note max RPM in each gear.

Press the mode button and repeat.  Economy mode should upshift at well lower RPM-- again, ONLY under high throttle positions.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

#14 huffypuff

huffypuff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 469 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:39 AM

I use the economy mode and at times i find it's not best to use it.  The economy mode is set by pressing the up arrow and then the mode button on my 6 speed.  Good to use on flat land but in hilly or mountain grades will hurt speed and fuel mileage.  Sometimes it is best for the transmission to downshift sooner.   

At Redmond, OR

Ray & Hana Huffman

2006 Holiday Rambler, Ambassador PLQ 40' 10" 

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD used as toad

2012 Cadillac SRX4

1976 Cadillac Coupe deVille

2009 7,000 lbs Carhauler Trailer

Pacers Northwest Member

#15 JohnJill

JohnJill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:57 AM

Ok so this maybe a dumb question, so it shifts faster at take off, so how does it save fuel at flat cruise control if it still has a 1600rpm at 63mph the motor is still turning the same rpm as in regular mode

#16 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,838 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:11 AM

Ok so this maybe a dumb question, so it shifts faster at take off, so how does it save fuel at flat cruise control if it still has a 1600rpm at 63mph the motor is still turning the same rpm as in regular mode

Economy mode makes ZERO difference on flat land cruising.  It only makes a difference on places that the throttle goes to or close to WOT.

So, on I 10 in Louisiana, no difference.  On I 10 further west in the hill country of Texas substantial difference.

Ray, I am surprised you have to push the up arrow to get the mode button to work.  Normally, you can go from power mode to economy mode (and back) by merely pressing the mode button.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
2003 Alpine 38'

#17 jlandon13399

jlandon13399

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:49 AM

I agree with everything Brett said.  Also I believe your tires are rated to 65 MPH.  Anything over 65 could spell problems.
Jack & Sheralyn Landon + Abby
2008 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40 SKQ
2013 Honda CRV

#18 JohnJill

JohnJill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 02:09 PM

I understand now its more of a in town/ traffic savings

#19 Allegiance40x

Allegiance40x

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 396 posts

Posted 15 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

huffypuff...read post #16.

#20 N8VTXN

N8VTXN

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:37 AM

Are you using any of that BioDiesel added fuel? Biodiesel has much less BTU content than regular diesel fuel. When they add biodiesel to fuel to make it "green", it mostly just adds green to their bank account. You will actually burn more fuel per mile, so any "over all" pollution mitigation or "green" aspects are highly questionable.

I have a CAT turbo 300 and get around 11 MPG towing a Jeep on level ground with no wind in economy mode on the tranny. A lot can be said for large engines and fuel use. That extra power comes with the penalty of reduced fuel economy. Big engines have a lot more "internal friction" and losses than smaller engines and need more fuel just to idle.

Also watch your RPM's, diesels get the best mileage at around 1500-1600 RPM's on the highway. Hills always kill fuel mileage. I never buy fuel with added BioDiesel. Synthetic oil always helps too.

Tire pressure is one of the worst fuel mileage offenders, aside from the headache of more frequent blowouts.

If you smoke at the tailpipe, your wasting fuel. Avoid that as much as possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users