Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Direct TV

dvr

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 PKSCHAF

PKSCHAF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • I travel:With Pets, Full-time in my motorhome

Posted 12 March 2014 - 12:19 PM

My wife and I are going to get Direct TV in our coach.

She has contacted Direct but can't seem to get a good answer.

Does Direct have DVR's available for RV's?

I was told Dish does not offer a DVR system.

Peggy and Kerry Schafer

#2 kaypsmith

kaypsmith

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 265 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:55 PM

I have Direct TV, and I have a Direct DVR in my coach. Works well!! It is the same unit as used in my home.

#3 PKSCHAF

PKSCHAF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 02:12 PM

Thank you!! This will make my wife extremely happy..

Peggy and Kerry Schafer

#4 BillAdams

BillAdams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:21 PM

Both Dish and DirecTV have DVR's but there's not such thing as a DVR for an RV.  DirecTV has and HR24 which is a dual tuner DVR or the Genie which has 5 tuners.  The Genie requires special DirecTV SWM hardware so you need to ensure your antenna setup is capable of providing that signal.

Bill

F192XXX

#5 gfstryder

gfstryder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:25 PM

We have the Direct TV Genie DVR.  It is compatible with the Winegard Traveler Satellite receiver.

#6 rd55127

rd55127

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:37 PM

I went through this experience with DTV last year and found it very painful. If you contact Direct TV and tell them you want a box for your MH to add to your existing account you will get passed to multiple people who will not have any cogent answers other than you need a separate account for your DTV MH. The easy way is to take an existing registered box on your account and move it to your MH but you won't get your local channels once you move out of your home zip code satellite spot beam. I'm not certain of the legality of this approach so caveat emptor. If you want to go full legit you can contact one of the Winegard installers and they can set you up with a box and a new DTV account - not certain how local channels are handled.

#7 BillAdams

BillAdams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:53 AM

We have the Direct TV Genie DVR.  It is compatible with the Winegard Traveler Satellite receiver.

The Genie will also work with a dome if you add the SWM hardware.  You just can't receive the DirecTV HD programming via any dome.

Bill

F192XXX

#8 rwaho

rwaho

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 11:52 AM

We have had a Directv account for years at our S&B.  This year we upgraded our coach to Directv HD  with the Winegard Traveler.  We added a new DVR to the front, and moved the old receiver to the rear TV.  We called Directv told them we wanted to add the new DVR to our account. We just called it another room, so both coach receivers are part of our S&B account.  The winegard installer configured it to the new dish appropriately.  

When we travel, to keep our local channels, we simply call Directv and change our service address to the park where we are staying.  By the time we get off the phone, we are receiving the new channels.  As snowbirds, this works well for us since we tend to stay at a park for a month or so at a time.   When traveling, we don't bother changing service address, but just use the antenna for locals.  

#9 PKSCHAF

PKSCHAF

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:24 PM

The Genie will also work with a dome if you add the SWM hardware.  You just can't receive the DirecTV HD programming via any dome.

I didn't know about this issue before we ordered our new Phaeton, we are getting the in motion Satalite. I'm hoping that we can get the Genie with the in motion. By what you are saying I should be able to, I'm assuming direct tv will have this hardware.

Thank you very much for the information.

Peggy and Kerry Schafer

#10 BillAdams

BillAdams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 05:41 PM

I didn't know about this issue before we ordered our new Phaeton, we are getting the in motion Satalite. I'm hoping that we can get the Genie with the in motion. By what you are saying I should be able to, I'm assuming direct tv will have this hardware.

Thank you very much for the information.

The installer "should" have this hardware but DTV installers have not needed to use it for a year or 2 since the release of the home dishes with SWM built in.  They are not going to have a clue how to hook it up in an RV so you might want to check around before you get started to ensure the person doing the work is willing to do the work.

Bill

F192XXX

#11 rsmorgan2

rsmorgan2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 08:56 PM

We have Direct TV and use one of our home recievers for our motor home. We are just finishing up our first snow bird trip . For about 10 times over the past 4 months we had address changes to pick up local channels. Tonight they refused to change our location stating it is a FCC violation to do this. They said we have to fill out a affidavit for DNS. OH, that will be another $15 a month.

#12 gfstryder

gfstryder

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:15 PM

We have just started with Direct TV and have found the experience to be painful.  A very substantial majority of employees and supervisors have no clue regarding RV installations.  All employees are very friendly and pretend to be helpful, but it is clear they have no idea what you are talking about when you try to discuss RV's.  However, once you finally end up with the right person the process is suddenly very simple.  It just takes a lot of patience and some firm discussions.

#13 BillAdams

BillAdams

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 10:16 PM

That's when you hang up and call back again.  That's the "Party Line" but it is not the only option available as you have found to be true in the past.

Bill

F192XXX

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users