Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Route Across Texas-- I 10

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bxplt

bxplt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:34 PM

I'll soon be driving my Golden Eagle from Florida to Phoenix. I'm planning to just stay on 10. Are there any issues I should be aware of? Any nasty grades that aren't apparent? Also, anyone in the Phoenix area, any ideas for a reasonable shop for some engine work? Thanks -Bob

#2 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 05:46 AM

Bxpit,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

While there are more scenic routes across Texas (U.S. 90 from San Antonio to Van Horn for example), I 10 is an easy shot all the way.  Take I 12 in Louisiana-- shorter than staying on 10 and better road surface.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#3 Elkhartjim

Elkhartjim

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 07:56 AM

I have read really good reviews on the Oasis Freightliner dealer in Phoenix.  Remember also, if your a FCOC member the discount available.

You don't say when you're traveling; the wind can be pretty fierce from central Texas to Phoenix.  Heck, we had high wind advisories two days ago in the Houston area.  I would recommend planning the drive through Houston either in the middle of the night or between 9:30am to 3:30pm.  I always drive straight through as its quicker and much shorter than taking Loop 610 or the toll road. Unless you have an EZ-Tag for the toll charges, you may sit in long lines (10+ minutes) at each ticket booth.

Safe travels.

Jim Sims
2008 38S Fleetwood Bounder DP

Houston, TX area

#4 bxplt

bxplt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 12:45 AM

Thanks for the info , guys. Now for round 2.  From Phoenix I'm heading to Seattle. I'm thinking' up thru Las Vegas and Bend Ore. to the Dalles and then Vancouver and up I-5. Anybody ever been that way? This will be in a couple of weeks so I'm thinking' the weather will be good. Any ideas? I'm trying to avoid major passes and grades like grapevine and the Siskues (sp?).  thanks

#5 bizsmith@yahoo.com

bizsmith@yahoo.com

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 21 March 2014 - 06:25 AM

Elkhartjim is right about the wind. It tipped an 18 wheeler over at the same time we were there.

#6 majorberry

majorberry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 06:59 PM

Louisiana I-10 will probably be the worst interstate road you will ever drive on.  It's as rough as a Texas cattle trail. IMHO

2005 Itasca Sunrise 33V, W20 WH, 2014 Wrangler Unlimited, NSA ReadyBrute Elite Tow Bar, CoolTech Harness

#7 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,604 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 08:23 PM

Actually, most if I 10 in Louisiana has been repaved.  Less than 50 miles of hump de hump.

This was on the way back from Perry on Friday.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#8 akadeadeye

akadeadeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 24 March 2014 - 09:43 PM

Brett is correct, and that area of I 10 that will make you stutter is around Lafayette.  We were in the area for Mardi Gras.

Don

2009 Newmar 42' Allstar, Wheelchair Accessible,
400HP Cummins, Allison 3000,
Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
San Antonio, Texas

#9 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 05:29 PM

I go on Nv 95 from Las Vegas to Fallon then to Ca and north to Bend.  I've done that a number of times.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users