bxplt

Route Across Texas-- I 10

Question

I'll soon be driving my Golden Eagle from Florida to Phoenix. I'm planning to just stay on 10. Are there any issues I should be aware of? Any nasty grades that aren't apparent? Also, anyone in the Phoenix area, any ideas for a reasonable shop for some engine work? Thanks -Bob

8 answers to this question

Bxpit,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

While there are more scenic routes across Texas (U.S. 90 from San Antonio to Van Horn for example), I 10 is an easy shot all the way. Take I 12 in Louisiana-- shorter than staying on 10 and better road surface.

I have read really good reviews on the Oasis Freightliner dealer in Phoenix. Remember also, if your a FCOC member the discount available.

You don't say when you're traveling; the wind can be pretty fierce from central Texas to Phoenix. Heck, we had high wind advisories two days ago in the Houston area. I would recommend planning the drive through Houston either in the middle of the night or between 9:30am to 3:30pm. I always drive straight through as its quicker and much shorter than taking Loop 610 or the toll road. Unless you have an EZ-Tag for the toll charges, you may sit in long lines (10+ minutes) at each ticket booth.

Safe travels.

Thanks for the info , guys. Now for round 2. From Phoenix I'm heading to Seattle. I'm thinking' up thru Las Vegas and Bend Ore. to the Dalles and then Vancouver and up I-5. Anybody ever been that way? This will be in a couple of weeks so I'm thinking' the weather will be good. Any ideas? I'm trying to avoid major passes and grades like grapevine and the Siskues (sp?). thanks

Louisiana I-10 will probably be the worst interstate road you will ever drive on. It's as rough as a Texas cattle trail. IMHO

Actually, most if I 10 in Louisiana has been repaved. Less than 50 miles of hump de hump.

This was on the way back from Perry on Friday.

Brett is correct, and that area of I 10 that will make you stutter is around Lafayette. We were in the area for Mardi Gras.

Don