Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Harney Coach Works

Anyone have one of these?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bruceea

bruceea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:00 AM

We are considering the purchase of a 1999 Harney Coach Renegade, 300HP Cat. My biggest concern is the fact that I have read some reviews about poor stopping power claiming it is because it has Hydraulic brakes. These reviews came from NON Harney owners. Hydraulic brakes are used on many commercial trucks with over 30,000GVW so I'm not sure the review was accurate.

Does anyone have experience with a Harney?

#2 huffypuff

huffypuff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:29 AM

I had hydraulic disc brakes on a older 34 foot Southwind diesel pusher.  It stopped very well and it's easy to replace brake pads on it.  It didn't have the high tech electronic used on systems today and the unit was gvw at 19,000 lbs.  

At Redmond, OR

Ray & Hana Huffman

2006 Holiday Rambler, Ambassador PLQ 40' 10" 

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD used as toad

2012 Cadillac SRX4

1976 Cadillac Coupe deVille

2009 7,000 lbs Carhauler Trailer

#3 mrboyer

mrboyer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

We had a 1999 Harney Coach Renegade and never had problems with the brakes.  We towed a small auto with a Brake Buddy auxiliary braking system.  We had this braking system not so much because of the added weight of the auto, but to brake the auto in case of a break away.

Many Harney Coach motor homes had problems with delamination.  Carefully, check the sides for irregularities.  We did have to replace all the bin doors.  The doors have aluminum frames that are screwed together with steel screws.  The two dissimilar metals caused galvanic corrosion.  I had firm in Elkhart, Indiana make new doors (they are not in business anymore), and had the lower body of the coach painted.

We drove the coach for 138,000+ miles with no other difficulties.

Ross & Melanie Boyer

2006 Fleetwood Expedition 37U

Cat C-7 300HP

Allison MH3000

#4 wolfe10

wolfe10

Advanced Member

• Moderator, Super
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,660 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 11:56 AM

I agree with Ray.  Nothing wrong with with hydraulic over hydraulic 4 wheel disk brakes.  Like any other brake system, they are not maintenance free.

With the hydraulic over hydraulic, brake fluid should be changed every couple of years (just like on any hydraulic system with DOT III brake fluid) and the caliper slides cleaned and greased with caliper slide grease every couple of years.

BTW, we have had both air and hydraulic brakes and either one works very well.

Dianne and Brett Wolfe
1997 Safari Sahara 3540
Moderator, FMCA.com Forums
Chairman, FMCA Technical Advisory Committee
Member, FMCA Long-Range and Development Committee 2007-2009
Moderator, http://www.dieselrvclub.org/(FMCA chapter)

#5 DickandLois

DickandLois

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 12:25 PM

bruceea,

Welcome to the FMCA forum.

The reference to poor braking with hydraulic brakes, might have been the fact that when the fluid gets hot there is more brake fade.

One has to remember that all braking systems will experience brake fade as things heat up.

Just need to keep from over driving the brakes! Going to fast down hill is not a situation anybody wants to be in.

Brett, Should the owner live in the North East, the entire braking system should be done yearly; if your chasing the best snow for snowmobiling and skiing. They just love salt in this part of the country !!!

Rich. 

#6 bruceea

bruceea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 01:53 PM

Thanks to all of you for your comments. You've been very helpful.

#7 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 09:39 PM

My Spartan chassis came with air over hydraulic disc brakes.  They worked fine until I went with 22.5 wheels and then I had trouble stopping.  I changed to full air brakes and no more problems.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users