Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tilldee

Ballpark Cost of Setting up to Tow Vehicle Four Wheels Down

9 posts in this topic

We are thinking of towing our 2011 Chevy Equinox and wondering if anyone could give us a ballpark estimate of the cost of getting everything we will need, including wiring the car.

Tilldee,

Tow Bar $650.00

Base Plates $450.00

Brake system $1,200.00

Light wiring $175.00

Some of these cost can be reduced If you can do your own work. Remember these are estimated cost.

I have not looked at the towing guide, is the 2011 Equinox towable?

Herman

I recently installed a base plate, wiring and brake for my 2014 Jeep Wrangler.

Base Plate: $358.

Bulb and Socket Tail Light Wiring: $45

M&G Brake: $432.

M&G Break-away: $210

I have a Blue Ox towbar that I purchased off Craig's List for $250

I did the install myself.

I got everything off craigslist except baseplates and tow lights and saved a bundle. Example is braking system I got for $200 and had to buy second vehicle kit for $100 saving $900.

I had my 2013 Equinox equipped for four wheel towing when I bought my motorhome a few months ago. I believe it ran around $2,500. Be sure that you also add a toggle switch so you do not have to remove the fuse when towing.

Jaime

I figured our 2005 Odyssey at about $2,200 in '05 and I did the wiring myself. Everything new from RoadMaster, including the Sterling towbar. I see Camping World is running some specials too. RoadMaster Falcon2 and brackets (no brake though) for $1575.99 installed.

Blue Ox Aventa tow bar--used--$450

Readybrake brake bar--$430 --I installed

Baseplate for 2006 Saturn Vue--$125--Had fabricated because I wanted 18" spacing on tow points--I installed.

Towing lights--I made wiring harness from drop cord, added ground wire, two 1157 sockets and bulbs, drilled hole in each taillight assembly and then plugged in the sockets. The Balkamp 7 pin plug and cord, safety cables all came with the tow bar.

Total, all pieces including nuts, bolts, washers, Loctite, and several cans of "calming" fluid came to about $975