If you are having problems signing in, please contact webmaster@fmca.com. Thank you.

Photo
- - - - -

Reducing Hot Passenger Side Floor In Class C E450

Best Answer arthurhugh, 27 July 2014 - 03:49 PM

Jim,

I also have an E-450 based class C that had a very hot floor and engine doghouse.  It was a problem for our little dog who liked to curl up on the floor in front of the passenger space.  I removed the doghouse (fairly easy to do - 4 clips, and then out) and inspected the limited woven insulation installed at the factory. 

I bought some DynaMat heat/sound insulation from Best Buy near me.  This stuff is often used when installing upscale sound systems in cars.  It is two layers of aluminum foil with a layer of black mastic between them.  Only about 1/8 to 1/4" thick.    One side has a self adhesive film which is exposed by removing a thin pull-off sheet.  It cuts easily with scissors and sticks very firmly to the plastic doghouse inside surface. I reapplied the original factory insulation over the DynaMat. 

The work really reduces the heat transfer through the doghouse.  Now I will turn my attention to the floor heat - have not done so yet.  DynaMat, or other similar materials are not cheap - they run about $5 to $10 a square foot but they do work.

ArtS

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jimlavagent

jimlavagent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 09:34 PM

I was wondering if anyone has reduced the heat generated by the engine in the E450 Ford Class C motorhomes.

My wife sits in the passenger seat and indicates the carpet gets very warm on long trips.

Has anyone found away to reduce the heat generated by the engine?

#2 desertdeals69

desertdeals69

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:22 AM

You can insulate the underside with the appropriate material.  Also sheet metal shields on the exhaust manifold and be fabricated.  I have done several Class C's for customers in the past.

#3 arthurhugh

arthurhugh

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 July 2014 - 03:49 PM   Best Answer

Jim,

I also have an E-450 based class C that had a very hot floor and engine doghouse.  It was a problem for our little dog who liked to curl up on the floor in front of the passenger space.  I removed the doghouse (fairly easy to do - 4 clips, and then out) and inspected the limited woven insulation installed at the factory. 

I bought some DynaMat heat/sound insulation from Best Buy near me.  This stuff is often used when installing upscale sound systems in cars.  It is two layers of aluminum foil with a layer of black mastic between them.  Only about 1/8 to 1/4" thick.    One side has a self adhesive film which is exposed by removing a thin pull-off sheet.  It cuts easily with scissors and sticks very firmly to the plastic doghouse inside surface. I reapplied the original factory insulation over the DynaMat. 

The work really reduces the heat transfer through the doghouse.  Now I will turn my attention to the floor heat - have not done so yet.  DynaMat, or other similar materials are not cheap - they run about $5 to $10 a square foot but they do work.

ArtS

#4 jimlavagent

jimlavagent

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 03 August 2014 - 08:27 PM

Thanks for the help guys. I will give your suggestions a try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users