Icon Welcome to the FMCA Motorhome Forums!

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and signed in, you will be able to create topics; post replies to existing topics; upload pictures; manage your profile; get your own private messenger; create blogs; and more. Sign up now! Already have an account? Sign in. This message will be removed once you are signed in.

Photo
- - - - -

Car Dolly

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 motorcyclist

motorcyclist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 11:42 AM

Looking to buy a dolly-any input on some popular brands would be appreciated ie. Roadmaster, master tow? 

Product quality-ease of use-and any problems you have encountered.

#2 H2orobks

H2orobks

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 04:47 PM

For six years I've used a MasterTow with surge brakes.  It is a good solid dolly.  The surge brakes make for a very simple system that needs very little maintenance.  It takes us about two to three more minutes to get road ready than towing four down.   

#3 motorcyclist

motorcyclist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:47 AM

Thanks-here in NH/Ma there doesn't seem to be anyone with units in stock. Like to see before I buy-internet helps but not the same-reviews are the best. 

#4 pixtony2008

pixtony2008

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 09 July 2014 - 02:54 PM

Very happy with Acme EzeTow. http://cartowdolly.com

#5 lewisedge

lewisedge

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

Demco's Kar Kaddy SS is a top-of-the-line car caddy made from galvanized steel, uses surge disk brakes and tracks behind your towing vehicle which reduces the turning radius.  Unfortunately, it's also one of the most expensive car dollies on the market.  One of its nicest features is that it folds into a much smaller space, so it doesn't take up a lot of garage or campsite space when it's not being used.  Unlike car dollies with electric brakes, Demco's Kar Kaddy SS does not require an electric brake controller and should work with virtually any front-wheel-drive car.

#6 dogfan99

dogfan99

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 07:55 PM

We looked at most of the dollies a few years back and finally ordered the King of the hill a DEMCO Kar Kaddy SS.  The best price I could find was through PLP Motorhomes in Texas.  At the time we lived in Fresno, CA so they shipped it via truck to our then home.  

I was surprised as anybody when the huge crate came un-assembled.  Once unloaded the crate barely fit into my garage.  We put the whole thing together.  The instructions were great.  We had a few calls to DEMCO customer service, but we got it assembled and have had many tow's with it and no problems at all.

Yes it is the best and most expensive, but in my book you get what you pay for.  We are towing a Lexus SUV and it goes right on down the road.   :) 

#7 paulcarson

paulcarson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

Recently, I was camped next to a man from Savannah, Ga. that was using this tow dolly for his car.  He was driving a 31' Coachmen Concord Class C towing a Honda Accord on the dolly.  I was very impressed with the dolly....the first of that brand I had ever seen.

2008 Winnebago Outlook/Saturn Vue toad
Ham Radio-KE5VLE
Good Sam Life Member
USAF Veteran

#8 akadeadeye

akadeadeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 05:25 PM

We have a Master Tow 80HD.  We needed the width of 80 inches for one of our cars.  We tried some others but they were too narrow.  Something to think about.  See if your car fits so there is sufficient room between the car and the fender of the dolly or you will have some body damage on some sharp turns.  We are happy with our Master Tow.  However, I had to change the bias tires for radials as the bias were wearing very unevenly and I have had a brake job after only about 8,000 miles.  The pads are thin but this is common among dollys I am told.  We have surge brakes.

I have to say that I am impressed with the quality of our dolly.  It is very well made.

Don

2009 Newmar 42' Allstar, Wheelchair Accessible,
400HP Cummins, Allison 3000,
Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
San Antonio, Texas

#9 motorcyclist

motorcyclist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 03:00 AM

Thanks for the input. I feel better now looking at the brands mentioned.

#10 JohnJill

JohnJill

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 63 posts
  • I travel:With children, With Pets

Posted 17 July 2014 - 06:59 PM

Akadeadeye what kind of car are you towing?

I would like to tow a Chevy Traverse but it has a 78" tread width and 20" tires

#11 akadeadeye

akadeadeye

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:33 PM

Akadeadeye what kind of car are you towing?

I would like to tow a Chevy Traverse but it has a 78" tread width and 20" tires

We tow a Toyota Sienna (the widest and heaviest of the two), and a Buick Rivera.

Don

2009 Newmar 42' Allstar, Wheelchair Accessible,
400HP Cummins, Allison 3000,
Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
San Antonio, Texas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users