#1 huffypuff

huffypuff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 01 September 2014 - 11:42 AM

I saw the new Holiday Rambler Ambassador at the Redmond reunion and now there is coverage on it in FMCA magazine as a comeback.  When I went to the reunion one of the things I wanted to see is the new HR's to see what improvements were made.  I toured a few coaches before I found the HR and Monaco displayed in the back end of the lot.  I was dismayed of what I saw and here is why.  

1. HR had only two displays, the Vacationer and the Ambassador.

2. The displayed of the Ambassador is like the picture on the front cover of FMCA magazine.  The first thing that bother me was the bright glare of the tan paint walking up to the front of it.  

3.  The next thing that bother me as well as my wife is that HR put the door midway behind the slide.  Then there is only one handrail to get you inside the bottom step and your on your own to get the rest of the way up and in.  It also takes away from the layout of the coach as that brings on the next point.

4.  The mid entrances and the step well takes away from the space from the middle of the coach.  HR answered that by eliminating the love-seat.   The power room also has much wasted space with too much cabinetry.  All that is needed there is a toilet and a sink with just enough cabinet to keep hand towels and toilet supplies.  

5.  My wife and I always felt that a large window at the head of the bed is a bad idea.  Too much light and noise at the top of our heads isn't something we want.  A better option is to have smaller windows on the side of the slide with a double shade to block light if needed.  These windows would be at eye level and more acceptable if there are windows in that area at all.    

6.  We like the bathroom in the rear of the coach but there is a layout problem there also.  The shower is too small as older style tub like showers of the 80.  Move the shower to where the toilet is where there is more space for a larger one.  If the sink is moved to the corner there will be more space for cabinetry floor to ceiling across the rest of the back of the coach.  Those that demand a washer and dryer can go back there also.  Why in the heck would you want it in the bedroom?

7.  The placement of the TV in the center of the coach is in a place that would be better utilized as more kitchen space.  How about hanging that from the ceiling right behind the driver seat at a slight angle for better viewing from the seating area?  

8.  The only improvements I see is better TV's and residential refrigerator option.  All of the other coaches have it as well as the Retro Winnebago Brave.  If you have a older coach, those can be updated as well as the generator auto start if house batteries gets too low.  

9. Going through the new Ambassador I found much less of just about everything compared to the Ambassadors before the crash of 2008.  Less engine, transmission, chassis, length, tires, towing capacity and generator.  There is so many other things if you look at the specs that are less than what it was and I consider this a step down not an improvement of what the Ambassador use to be.  One thing that is less that we may all like is starting at $206,000 the price is less.  But as it goes we all get what we pay for.  

At Redmond, OR

Ray & Hana Huffman

2006 Holiday Rambler, Ambassador PLQ 40' 10" 

2006 Jeep Liberty Limited CRD used as toad

2012 Cadillac SRX4

1976 Cadillac Coupe deVille

2009 7,000 lbs Carhauler Trailer

#2 jlandon13399

jlandon13399

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 08:45 PM

Sounds to me that Allied Specialty Vehicles are positioning the Holiday Rambler brand to be an entry level diesel pusher. If true it is really a shame that a proud brand is demoted from a midlevel luxury coach to entry level.

Jack & Sheralyn Landon

2008 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 40 SKQ

2013 Honda CRV

#3 huffypuff

huffypuff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 September 2014 - 10:35 PM

That makes sense as the Vacationer is a gasser with lower price than Ambassador.  The next thing there was the Monaco Dynasty with a $689,000 I guess their flagship.  I did stop at the tent and was told a mid luxury model will come out in six months but not sure which brand name.   

At Redmond, OR

Ray & Hana Huffman

2012 Cadillac SRX4

#4 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts
  • Location:At Cummins Southern Plains in San Antonio for service before parking for the winter!

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:24 AM

We attended the Monaco International Rally in Gillette last year and were present for a briefing from a Monaco executive.  Their strategy (as I understood it) for restarting the company is to start with the most popular of their vehicles and then expand the line from there.  They are positioned at the top of the ASV RV line and plan to stay separate from the other companies in the line as much as possible.  They are however located in the same manufacturing facility so there will likely be some economies associated with common facilities.  With the economy and the market for RV's remaining weak, this start-up is likely to be a slow deliberate process and it may never blossom into the full range of vehicles that we once had available. 

As you suggest, some models may be repositioned in this process.  We all know that following the merger of Holiday Rambler and Monaco the two lines became more and more similar as suppliers and manufacturing processes were standardized.  This resulted in what I considered a set of parallel models with smaller and smaller differences with time.  Our model was orphaned several years before the bankruptcy and first reorganization.  I'm certain that the same will happen with other models.  This is all similar to the General Motors reorganization. 

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

#5 huffypuff

huffypuff

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 02 September 2014 - 11:28 PM

Monaco and Holiday Rambler were still being built to the 2013 model year by Navistar but was brought out.  Unfortunately didn't look like the MaxForce engines did very well with all the problems customers had with them.  When Allied Specialty Vehicles brought out Navistar their first goal is to get rid of the Roadmaster chassis.  They are using the Roadmaster name on a modified Freightliner chassis on the Dynasty and Freightliner on Ambassador so it's not the same.  That means that all models has to be redesign to fit the new chassis as a drop on the frame bodies as opposed as the way it was built before.  Looks like Fleetwood is part of Allied Specialty Vehicles that was formed in 2010. Maybe that's their plan to get more market shares by hanging well know name brand on an entirely different coach.   The only thing that exists of Holiday Rambler and Monaco today is the name.   

At Redmond, OR

Ray & Hana Huffman

2012 Cadillac SRX4

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Holiday Rambler Ambassador, HR, Monaco

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users