8 replies to this topic

#1 KKelly

KKelly

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • I travel:With Pets

Posted 08 November 2009 - 07:46 PM

I would like to know from state to state what the speed limits on interstate roads are. Do I need to follow the truck limits and car limits? I do know some states post a speed limit for RVs pulling a trailer or just RVs. Thanks for your advice. Kevin

#2 GreenBeaver

GreenBeaver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 08 November 2009 - 09:04 PM

I would like to know from state to state what the speed limits on interstate roads are. Do I need to follow the truck limits and car limits? I do know some states post a speed limit for RVs pulling a trailer or just RVs.

Put the cruise on at 60mph and you'll be ok in 49 of 50 states.
May our travels bring us together.

FMCA# 409720
SKP# 99967
U.S. Army/National Guard retired
DoD Civilian retired

Beaver Travels - my blog

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"

#3 absolutelyranita

absolutelyranita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:55 AM

Please use the following link which shows both the car and truck speed limits in each state:

http://www.motorists...ed-limit-chart/

As you can see, in most states, cars and trucks have the same speed limit. Hope this helps.

#4 Guest_Wayne77590_*

Guest_Wayne77590_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:06 AM

That answers part of the question.

Now, what do motorhomes qualify as, truck or car?

#5 Guest_2driftrs_*

Guest_2driftrs_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:13 AM

A motorhome is a passenger vehicle, not a truck. The truck designation implies commercial license plates, not passenger plates. I'm not aware of any State that requires commercial plates on a motorhome.

#6 GreenBeaver

GreenBeaver

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 87 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:20 AM

That answers part of the question.

Now, what do motorhomes qualify as, truck or car?

I would have to say that unless specifically listed on a sign, as they are in Indiana, a motorhome would follow the car speed limit.
May our travels bring us together.

FMCA# 409720
SKP# 99967
U.S. Army/National Guard retired
DoD Civilian retired

Beaver Travels - my blog

"A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'"

#7 Eagle

Eagle

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:36 AM

I would have to say that unless specifically listed on a sign, as they are in Indiana, a motorhome would follow the car speed limit.

A couple of years back we were stopped by CHP in California and was informed that motorhomes followed the same rules as trucks.

#8 kalynzoo

kalynzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 12:38 PM

In California Trucks and anything towing a trailer are limited to 55mph. A motorhome with 2 axles is not a truck and may travel at the higher posted speed. It is my understanding from seminars with CHP that buses and motorhomes are not limited to 55mph. Since I do not travel over about 62mph and usually at 55mph in my MH I really don't sweat the details.
Therefore, if you like to go faster, you'll find me in the right hand lane, just wave as you pass.
Happy Trails.
Cookie & Gary Kalyn
2005 Adventurer 38ft
Saturn VUE
Rving over 30 years

#9 TBUTLER

TBUTLER

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,394 posts

Posted 10 November 2009 - 12:50 PM

California is 55 MPH if you have a toad. The toad qualifies as a trailer. Illinois is posted 55 for motor homes. There are other states that may be posted specifically for motor homes but those are two that I encounter frequently. I make it a practice to follow the truck speed limits just because I would rather travel a little slower and I figure I'm a larger vehicle like a truck. I also follow the truck restrictions for left lane that you encounter on some hills and in some cities. I figure if those working guys can slow down and follow the rules, I can too.

I too will be in the right lane most of the time. It minimizes the lane changing and makes driving so much more relaxing. The exception would be in city driving. I prefer to be one lane over from the right lane to allow entering and exiting traffic to get on and off without having to maneuver around me and vice versa.

Tom and Louise Butler
2004 Monaco Windsor, Cummins 400 ISL
Roadmaster Sterling Tow Bar, Brakemaster, GMC Acadia, BikeE Recumbent Bicycles

After 9 1/2 years full time in our motor home and being Winter Texans we are now living at Sandpipers Resort in Edinburg, Texas. Now we are Summer Chickens!

"The tipi is much better to live in; always clean and warm in winter, cool in summer, easy to move... If the Great Spirit wanted men to live in one place he would have made the world stand still." -- Flying Hawk, South Dakota Oglala Sioux

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users