wolfe10

Do you park your coach with a full fuel tank?

First, let's look at what happens if you park your coach with 1/4 tank of fuel -- assume total capacity 100 gallons.

As you burned the 75 gallons of diesel, that space in the tanks was replaced with AMBIENT AIR, at whatever temperature AND HUMIDITY the outside air is at that time. So you now have 25 gallons of diesel and, particularly, if driving in a hot/humid area, 75 gallons of hot HUMID air.

OK temperature drops to the dew point OF THAT HUMID AIR IN THE TANK. It CONDENSES. And since water is heavier than diesel, it goes to the bottom of the tank where it can cause "algae" growth and/or rust the tank.

Each day, as the temperature rises, air and diesel in the tank EXPAND-- actually, air just goes OUT of the tank through the vent line. This happens even if the 75 gallons of air in the tank was dry and/or cold.

Each night, as the temperature falls, air is sucked into the tank through the breather line. As temperature continues to drop, the water vapor CONDENSES and goes to the bottom of the tank.

Repeat 30-100 times. NOT GOOD!!!!!

And yes, even if you are a desert area, your tank WILL get down to the dew point and there will be condensation.

If you fill the tank before parking, there is a MUCH smaller volume of air to condense. Also, liquid (fuel) expands and contracts much less with temperature change than a gas (air) so there is far less "breathing" of the tank.

Because I grew up on diesels in boats and KNOW what a problem “algae†can be in diesel that is stored, I do add a biocide if storing fuel over 3 months.

Brett Wolfe

Guest Wayne77590

Thanks Brett.

Can you recommend or suggest a biocide additive?

Thanks Brett.

Can you recommend or suggest a biocide additive?

Wayne,

They are all virtually the same-- a variety of weed killer.

And you will NOT find them at trucks stops etc-- fuel storage is NOT an issue for trucks.

You will find them at MARINE STORES, since boats have the same diesel storage issues that we do.

And since you are in a boating area, no problem.

Here is one: West Marine Biocide

Other advantages to a full tank as opposed to one only 1/4 full are you're always ready to travel & your generator is not ready to run out of fuel. :rolleyes:

Guest Wayne77590

As PKunk stated.

During Ike evacuation I had just over half a tank. We evacuated and the darn hurricane came right up our area. Power was lost and we started the generator, happy as hogs. I will say that fuel consumption was very slow, but when it got down. after 2-1/2 days to between a half and quater tank I told DW we were looking for some place with electricity. I headed to Austin, TX from Willis, TX, and when the fuel indicator was in "the red" I had to pull into a very tight gas station for Diesel fuel, and back out, with DW directing me. I was never so happy to find a station that had pumps running and diesel fuel on top of the electricity.

Keeping a full tank is the only way to go as far as I'm concerned.

Brett,

I'm familiar with West Marine and will drop by there. I don't think I'm going to store for more than 3 months. Is that a good determining criteria? I may be down from knee surgery for several weeks. How do I know if I should add biocide?

Is there anything that needs to be added when cranking it up to run after using biocide?

Hurry up and get back to Texas so we can sit and chat over coffee and donuts about this stuff! :rolleyes:

Brett,

I'm familiar with West Marine and will drop by there. I don't think I'm going to store for more than 3 months. Is that a good determining criteria? I may be down from knee surgery for several weeks. How do I know if I should add biocide?

Is there anything that needs to be added when cranking it up to run after using biocide?

You need a biocide IF:

1. As a remedy if you ever see black slimy "gunk" in your fuel (usually first visable to you in the primary fuel filter/water seaparator).

2. As a Preventive if storing diesel. My basic benchmark is that I use it if I will not be burning a tank of diesel within 3 months. I know of no hard and fast rule that says not needed if XX days but needed of XX plus 1 day.

It is merely added to the tank when you fill up. It will circulate throughout the fuel system within a couple of miles.

There is absolutely no change in the way anything works. The biocide I use doses at 1.5 oz/ 100 GALLONS.

Ask anyone who has had "algae" contamination and they will tell you an ounce (OK 1.5 ounces) of prevention is worth a LOT of $$$ worth of cure.

Brett Wolfe

Guest Wayne77590

Thank you for all the information.

I'm all for preventative medicine maintenance.

I always fill up before I go into a campground for a stay and also when I arrive home. I have had several times when I needed the coach for an emergency and it is nice to know that it is full and ready to go. Last September 14th we had a real bad wind storm here is Ohio and we were out of electric for 7 days so we camped in our driveway and also ran electric cords to our fridge and freezer along with one to our next door neighbor and saved all our food.

I always add biocide to my fuel tank every time I fill-up and use a diesel additive as well. It doesn't cost that much and I know my tank will be free of alge, etc. I have found Walmart in my area sells both biocide and diesel additives. It is worth every penny for just the peace of mind to know I'm protected. It is a lot easier to keep a tank clean than it is to get one cleaned. Happy RVing All!!

I am a service Rep for Vehicle Systems out of Colorado, I ran into the (bug) referred to as (Algae) actually a "Fungus" while servicing the Aqua-hot fuel system. This fuel contamination can completely destroy a fuel system in a very short time if let go.

Power Rearch Inc, out of Texas manufactures a product called Pri Ocide used to kill the "Bug", another of their products is called Pri D,

www.priproducts.com

Orman Claxton

Wayne,

They are all virtually the same-- a variety of weed killer.

And you will NOT find them at trucks stops etc-- fuel storage is NOT an issue for trucks.

You will find them at MARINE STORES, since boats have the same diesel storage issues that we do.

And since you are in a boating area, no problem.

Here is one: West Marine Biocide