Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Profile Information

  • Gender
  • Location
    North Alabama
  • I travel
    With Pets
  1. Thank you all for your comments, that is what I was trying to do, at least make sure that I am legal in Alabama, and it seems that I am. Thank you all again for your valuable feedback. Donald
  2. That is exactly what we did, our coach has a 50amp service and I used the 30 to 50 amp adapter so we could plug into the 30amp plug that my brother in law had wired up for us, at their hunting camp, it was wired up like an old 220 dryer plug, and it fried everything listed above, we were so excited to see all of our family members and talking and for that split second it never crossed my mind to get the meter out of the coach and check the plug. Lesson learned and upgrades made. Hope others can learn from my mistake.
  3. Thank you Kay, I am trying to make sure that we are doing everything legal, not so much for here in Alabama, it doesn't seem they care too much about RV's but we are planning some out of state trips and I want to make sure we don't find out we made a mistake when we are already thousands of miles from home. Thank you for your input. Donald
  4. I can tell you from experience that if you are going to be staying places that you are not familiar with then you need to get a meter, learn how to use it, and check the plug before you plug your coach into it. The one time that I failed to check the plug, it cost more that $2000.00 and that was looking for deals and doing all of the work myself. Microwave, inverter - charger, electric side of refrigerator, back tv, power supply for satelite, satelite receiver. Now with some upgrades like the hardwired progressive surge protector, I still put my meter on the plug before I plug up. We tend to get comfortable doing the same thing over and over and never seeing a problem, then when you don't check, you can have a problem.
  5. That is one of the reasons that we bought the one that we did, it has a trigger wire for all 4 of the camera inputs and it comes on when in reverse and when we add the side view cameras then all we will have to do is tie into the turn signal wire. The camera has a timer that you can adjust for the trigger wires so that it doesn't flash on and off while the turn signal is flashing.
  6. We just recently changed out the black and white Jenson rear view camera on our 2001 Monaco Diplomat and we went with a unit we found on ebay. It is a quad camera capable but we only got 1 camera for now to replace the one that was in the back. We got a flush mount camera because that is what our coach was set up for. Here is some good reading on things to consider in making your choice. Also, we were able to use the existing cable that ran from the rear of the coach to the front of the coach, we just had to splice the new ends onto the old wire, works great. http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-to-Choose-Vehicle-Rear-View-Backup-Video-Camera-/10000000000037397/g.html Hope this helps Not endorsing their products at all, just good reading and things to consider.
  7. And I thought exactly what you were saying that is why I started looking for a non-cdl license in Alabama, and have been unsuccessful in finding one. Then we ran across that exemption and was wondering, like you, if all RV's fall under the exemption regardless of the weight? If anyone know of anything that I am missing then I wish you could help point me in the right direction. Regardless of what is required, because of all of the reading and help that I have received from this site, I will get a cdl book and study and learn more about the air brakes. Thank you all again Donald
  8. After reading this post again, I realized that I made a mistake in the type of license that I have, I have a Class D license. You say that Alabama has a non commercial license but I can't find any information on them. They say that the class A,B, and C are strickly commercial? I don't think that we would ever pull anything that has a weight of more than 10,000 lbs as that is the max capacity of our hitch. Thank you
  9. I wanted to share with you what I found out this month. We also have the 1200 LRIM unit and it has had 2 recalls on it, and had both of them completed before we purchased the coach. While we were camping on Labor Day Weekend, I noticed that the drip pan under the refrigerator fins was holding water, so after the weekend of camping and the coach was back home I decided to turn off the refrigerator and do some cleaning and find out why the tray was holding water. It was just a clogged drain line in the back of the refrigerator, after cleaning it and getting the water to drain again I plugged the refrigerator back in to start it up. Nothing, no lights, no display, nothing, the only thing that I saw from the back of the refrigerator was that the add on box from the recall had a red flashing light. I started checking breakers, fuses, wires and everything I could think of and I finally figured it had to do with the little black box with the red flashing light on it so I by passed the box and the refrigerator started up, after seeing that I turned it back off and started to look at the black box to see if I could find anything wrong. I used my meter and checked for continuity on the thermocouple and there was none so then I put a jumper wire in the plug that the thermocouple plugs into and the red light quit flashing and the refrigerator started up. At that point I undid the jumper wire and started the task of looking for a replacement thermocouple and that is where the fun began. After calling 3 different RV dealers in Huntsville Al I got 3 different stories of what I was going to have to do to get it fixed. It appears that you can't buy a replacement thermocouple for these units, I looked all over the internet and could not find one. In short all 3 RV dealers said that I would have to pay for the replacement parts and I could not buy the thermocouple alone, I was going to have to buy the complete kit which is @$150 but they could not sell it to me without me bringing the coach to them and letting them do it which would then cost me the labor plus the parts. Then I decided to call Norcold and ask them why I could not buy replacement parts for our refrigerator, I know there is a liability issue with it being a recall, I just wanted to hear it from them and do a little venting. The Norcold person I talked to was very nice and helpful, after I explained the situation to him he told me to take it to any authorized Norcold service center and if it was determined that the thermocouple was indeed bad as I suspected, then Norcold would pay for all of the parts and labor to fix it. I then called D & N RV service center in Guntersville Al and told him what I suspected and when I told him that the black box had a red flashing light on it he stopped me right there and told me that the red flashing light means that it has lost communication with the thermocouple, finally someone that doesn't talk to me like I am an idiot. Brandon at D & N then told me that he had good and bad news, bad news was that he could not sell me the part that I needed, the good news was that if I would bring the coach to him then he would fix it for free because Norcold would pay for any defective recall parts, and the labor associated with fixing it. I hope that this may help someone out there if they have a similar problem with a red flashing light on their recall part. It seems that it may be standard practice for some of these dealers and service centers to charge the customer and then turn it in to Norcold as a recall fix and get paid on both ends for the same job. Very sad that these places do business like this. I just wonder how many of the members here have had to get theirs fixed and pay for parts or labor.
  10. I know this has been discussed to the point that you are all probable tired of it coming up anymore, but I did not find any info about the state that I live in, which is Alabama, of course. I am going to copy and paste what I have found as far as the license classes and the one exemption that I found. I know that our 2001 Monaco Diplomat has a GVWR of 30,000lbs so it will be over the 26,001 lbs but I can't find any information on Alabama having what all of you are talking about which is a "non commercial class B" My question is do you think that the exclusion that, I marked in red, makes it legal for me to drive our coach with a regular class C license? Thank you for your time. Driver Licenses - Classes, Endorsements, and Restrictions Classes: Class A —Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating (GCWR) of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more) provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds). Class B —Any single vehicle with a GVWR of 11,794 kilograms or more (26,001 pounds or more), or any such vehicle towing a vehicle not in excess of 4,536 kilograms (10,000 pounds) GVWR. Class C —Any single vehicle, or combination of vehicles, that meets neither the definition of Group A nor that of Group B as contained in this section, but that either is designed to transport 16 or more passengers including the driver, or is used in the transportation of materials found to be hazardous for the purposes of the Hazardous Materials Transportation Act and which require the motor vehicle to be placarded under the Hazardous Materials Regulations (49 CFR part 172, subpart F). Class D – Private passenger, regular operator. Class M – Motorcycle Class V – Water Vessel Endorsements: T – Double/triple trailers P – Passenger vehicles N – Tank vehicles H – Haz- Mat X – Haz-Mat and Tank S - School Buses Restrictions: A – Corrective Lenses B – Motor Driven Cycle D – Outside Mirror - Left E – Daylight Driver only F – Hand Controls G – Automatic Transmission H – Outside Mirror – Right I – Outside Mirror – Right and Left J – Hearing Impaired K – Commercial Vehicles without Air Brakes L – Power Steering M – Power Brakes N – Built up Pedals O – Built up Seat P – Left Foot Accelerator R – Mechanical Signals V – CDL Medical Variance W – Intrastate Commerce Only Y – Learner’s License Section 32-6-49.7 - Commercial driver license required; exceptions. (a) Except when driving with a commercial driver license learner's permit and accompanied by the holder of a commercial driver license valid for the vehicle being driven, no person may drive a commercial motor vehicle on the highways of this state unless the person holds, and is in immediate possession of, a commercial driver license with applicable endorsements valid for the vehicle he or she is driving. Active duty military or National Guard personnel operating government vehicles, farmers operating certain commercial motor vehicles, firefighters and operators of emergency equipment exempt from licensing provisions of the CMVSA are exempt from this article as detailed in FHWA's "Notice of Final Disposition" published in the Federal Register, September 26, 1988, 53 FR 37313, and as hereafter updated. Commercial driver license requirements do not apply to drivers of vehicles used for personal use such as recreational vehicles which would otherwise meet the definition of a commercial motor vehicle. ( No person may drive a commercial motor vehicle on the highways of this state while his or her driving privilege is suspended, revoked, or cancelled, while subject to a disqualification, or in violation of an out of service order.
  11. There is other options that I am sure that you are aware of about your unlimited plan with Verizon. You can buy a phone at full price at the store and not have to give up your unlimited or you can buy a phone from someone and activate it under your number and not have to give up your unlimited. That is what I did at the end of last year.
  • Create New...