rkbcmoyer@aol.com

Camera Or Mirror For Front-End View Of RV

Yes, Magellan makes a combination GPS with 7-inch monitor and a backup camera. The camera automatically comes online when the shifter is placed in reverse and overrides the GPS to give the driver a view of the rear of the RV. The camera is in a license frame that is designed to be placed in the coach’s license bracket. For this application, the camera could be placed in the motorhome’s front license plate bracket and energized by a toggle switch. Good luck. 

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Can you give us more insight into what you want-- Not familiar with a camera aimed to the FRONT. Sure, plenty of rear view cameras.

5 hours ago, rkbcmoyer@aol.com said:

Trying to find a mirror or camera that views the front end of the RV. Any suggestions?

Welcome to the forum. Why do you feel the need to see the front of the coach? Are you looking at something like the school buses have?

Bill

Depth perception, :o. Or maybe he want to have visual when he is about to rear end the vehicle in front of him.:unsure:

Just my opinion but I think we have too many things that take our eyes off the main objective "Safely Driving 15 to 20 tons of motor vehicle on the highway. "

Herman 

5 hours ago, TheGadgetGuru said:

I saw this mirror on the front end of a Publix truck. At that angle, it seems to provide a view of the front bumper and the blind spots. 

Screen Shot 2016-10-13 at 5.21.06 PM.png

Welcome to the forum. Looking at the picture that is a severely convex mirror. That far away it would be hard to see much in it.

I can see the sides of my coach using the existing mirror set up. I have convex (wide angle) mirrors on the bottom and regular ones on the top. I am still trying to figure out why you need to see the front of the coach.

Bill

Can't really add much to what Herman posted. :P

BillAdam.  Your probably (I hope) correct. 

There are a few times, that I would like to have a small mirror, mounted under my front TV, aimed at the kitchen floor.  Earlier this Summer, I had forgotten to put my sink corian cover on, hit a nasty stretch of construction and the cover hit the tile floor, it did no damage, but it did a job on my nerves! :rolleyes::unsure: until I could pull over and check it out.  All my coaches, prior to the last 2 had them and it was handy.  My DW used to cook breakfast and make lunch, while we where rolling, It gave me peace of mind. Same for her, when she was driving and I was in kitchen! :)

Carl 

The mirror in the photo is what we call an NYC mirror up here. They are required on commercial vehicles in NYC so when the light turns green you don't drive over the person in the crosswalk. We run a dash cam all the time when the coach is in motion, DW will pull screen shots off of it for her scrapbooking if there was a beautiful view we saw while on the road. I use it for proof...just in case. I miss not having a mirror up front to look back inside of the coach while in motion.

I am confused why a mirror is a want on the front of a coach, maybe a C with fender mounted mirrors to help with lane changing, but not an A the mirrors are already up as far as they can go.

I got a small dash cam that is mounted below the slope of dash.  It's powered by a lithium battery and has a USB port so I can down load to computer...got it last week!  It's close to Deer rutting season and should one decide to commit suicide by hitting me, I want proof...Now, if they only carried insurance! :P 

This type of mirror is common on busses in Europe and the Middle East. I found it interesting that from the driver's seat, they do provide multiple views at a glance. In areas with narrow streets, the downward facing mirrors allow the driver to see the front bumper to know exactly how much distance remains between the front corners to a curb or another vehicle. Also, it's fun to watch tour bus drivers parallel park these buses!

IMG_2910.jpg

IMG_3414.jpg

The multi camera systems that I have used on my motorhome have 4 camera monitor.  You can switch to any one of the cameras or see 2 or all 4.  I have never installed the front camera but the systems I have been installing are made for commercial applications like garbage trucks.

School bus drivers use mirrors mounted on the passenger (right) side looking across the front of the bus, this is to make sure there are no objects (children) immediately in front of the bus that are too short to be seen by the driver. Many delivery truck drivers have this same setup as well as US Mail delivery vehicles, some even have a similar setup to look across the back of the vehicle. Some folks have a loss of depth perception which makes them paranoid of getting too close and will stop much too short if no visual aid is at their disposal. So to answer the OP's question, truck stops as well as most auto part stores do sell mirrors that can be mounted in a position to achieve the goal of seeing the front end of the coach. Also there is an assortment of rear view systems available on ebay and other places on the web, many with as many as four cameras with one monitor, camera can be placed in any position on the vehicle to make viewing of any area that you would like to monitor at any time for any reason.

Kay.  I would think that a camera would work on a class A...not mirror!  We don't have front fenders for mounting. Having said that, if OP's depth perception is that bad, then OP can't judge proper distance in any direction and I don't want to be on the same Highway or RV park, with OP!   :wacko:

Carl