fagnaml

Drawer & Cabinet Locks

Driving I-10 between Houston, TX and Baton Rouge, LA for LSU football games "bangs the *$%#^" out of the motorhome especially the Louisiana section of I-10.  The highway has numerous jarring bumps, large cracks and pot holes at concrete pavement joints, bridge to road transitions, etc.  I never complete the drive without two or three kitchen drawers bouncing open.  Drawers in the pantry bounce and slide out pushing open the pantry door.   Has anyone used "child proof" drawer and cabinet safety latches to keep drawers and cabinet doors closed while driving on a rough highway?

Bed Bath & Beyond, Baby's R Us, etc. have adhesive drawer/cabinet safety latches that would be easier to install than those requiring screws:

Option 1 for drawers & cabinets --> https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/kidco-reg-adhesive-cabinet-and-drawer-lock/1014844619?categoryId=12276

Option 2 for drawers only --> https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/kidkusion-reg-4-pack-adhesive-mount-drawer-locks/1045719745?categoryId=12276

What is the opinion of the forum?   Am I the only one that experiences drawers and cabinet doors opening while driving on rough highways?   As always, thanks for your thoughts and guidance!

As we were going through Macon Ga. last summer a jar of spaghetti sauce came out of the cabinet we were using as a pantry. The jar broke and red tomato sauce went everywhere.  We found some flexible ties that are stiff enough to hold with rubber on the outside. We tie the cabinet handles to each other before we start on a trip. It takes about 2 minutes to install them and about 2 minutes to remove them. Lowes and Home Depot have them but I can't remember their name.   ccmsm

I would look at the latches first. Bad or loose latches won't hold the drawers or doors shut. Replacing what you have with a good strong latch would solve your problem. In a cabinet where you might be concerned about item shifting and falling against the doors you might consider putting in spring loaded curtain rods across the opening to keep items from moving. Also you might consider putting down some rubberized shelf type paper the will keep items from sliding. 

However if you would like to keep double cabinet door secured you could just make a "U" shaped hook the would just drop over the two knobs to keep them from popping open.

Or you might stay off those Louisiana road ways.:rolleyes:

CC, you will be finding sauce in place you never thought of for years to come. I hope it didn't stain anything.

Herman  

Mike and Cindy,

I too would start with replacing latches.  I had a cabinet in the bedroom that would often open on it's own when on the road.  Quick fix was to replace the 5 lb. latch with a 10 lb. latch.  It was less than $10 at our local RV supplier.  Now the cabinet door stays closed unless I pull on it!

Blake

Make and Cindy, my wife uses this type; on cabinet doors in the galley. We have never had a problem but our pantry faces forward, so if I were to panic stop there is a good possibility it will open and make a real mess. We do have a lip that is around 2" high but you never know. On the loop type of handle it just goes through the bottom.

http://www.toysrus.com/buy/cabinet-locks-straps/babies-r-us-slide-locks-2-pack-5f62a4b-56144576

fagnaml.  The only time I have your problem is on Hwy. 35, going from I-10 to south of Kaplan, La. and I-10 between Lafayette, La. and the Henderson Bayou!  For those trips, 4 times a year, I use adjustable "double" curtain rods inside my cabinets.  I get mine at Wall Mart.

Luck

Carl  

When we first got our coach, I found a broken drawer latch. After a search on Google for "cabinet drawer latch", I found a hardware distributor that had the exact replacement latch I needed and it was not expensive (I ordered two, 'cause you never know...). You might find what you need at a place like Grainger. Good luck!

--Tim C.