RonaldNC

Automatic Retraction of Jacks

Over the past couple of weeks, my jacks have twice retracted immediately when I turn the ignition key to "on".  I contacted Lippert and they said that the system is automatically retracting the jacks because it thinks the parking brakes are not "on".  This is part of their "Drive Away Protection System".  The only problem is... my parking brakes were on!  They said the system identifies the parking brake status based upon a "ground switch" from the parking brake.

Does anyone know where I can find the sensor for my parking brake or probable locations of the Lippert electronics?  I've reached out to Monaco, but haven't heard anything back.

Thanks,

Ron

2009 Monaco Cayman 38PKQ 

Ron, The best information would come from Monaco. Your coach is equipped with air actuated park brakes, so I think there has to be a air operated switch connected to the output side of the park valve. So it could be right under or around the dash area. A loose connection on the ground connection at the switch, at the chassis grounding point or at the LCI control board.

There is one post where the ground wire was to small and caused a similar issue. 

Rich.

My 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor has always retracted the jacks automatically when the ignition switch in the RUN position, (regardless of parking brake position)  brakes will not automatically retract when in the ACC position,  switch must be in ACC position to raise and lower jacks.

12 hours ago, Dickandlois said:

Ron, The best information would come from Monaco. Your coach is equipped with air actuated park brakes, so I think there has to be a air operated switch connected to the output side of the park valve. So it could be right under or around the dash area. A loose connection on the ground connection at the switch, at the chassis grounding point or at the LCI control board.

There is one post where the ground wire was to small and caused a similar issue. 

Rich.

I'll pull the panel and try to locate the park valve.  Will the LCI control board be located near the valve?  I've looked in all the usually places that hold most electronic components.

Hopefully, Monaco gets back to me soon.  They use to have a technical support phone number, but now you have to submit a message through their website... not nearly as good.

Thanks,
Ron

20 hours ago, abyrd said:

My 2004 Holiday Rambler Endeavor has always retracted the jacks automatically when the ignition switch in the RUN position, (regardless of parking brake position)  brakes will not automatically retract when in the ACC position,  switch must be in ACC position to raise and lower jacks.

Mine must be different.  The manual indicates that I have to "air up" before retracting the jacks... which I've done for the last 7 years with this coach.  If you don't, you are likely to pop the windshield out.

Thanks,

Ron

Ron,

Thanks for the info, I will check my wiring schematics to check the jack circuits.

Jim

Just for closure... Monaco Technical Support got back to me today.  They helped me locate the Lippert leveling control module on the curbside bay, nearly under the refrigerator, attached to the roof of the bay.  It's wired between the parking brake/leveling control on the left cockpit and the pump on the driver side rear.

We suspect that either the parking brake switch has a poor/loose ground or the switch itself is going bad.  I'm going to pull it out of the cockpit in the next few days and check it out.

Thanks for all the help.

Ron

As a final follow-up (and for other's potential benefit), we got it solved!  I found the number for Monaco Technical Support and had a great discussion with a Tech with over 30 years experience.  He said that he was 99% sure it was the Nason parking brake switch in the console on the left side.  I ordered a new one from Monaco (Mason SM-1C-66R/WP28, Monaco part number 16614841) for about $50.  They sent it overnight and I installed it that day.

Well, it solved the problem and things have worked fine since.  It was a bit of a pain to install, as you have to remove about a dozen screws, then pull the guts out carefully (don't want to break the plastic cover), then unscrew the switch (which was on tight).  Overall, it took about an hour to get it done.

Thanks for everyone's help!  Hope it helps the next guy!

Ron