mmfarmer2012

Reverse Osmosis

We use a water softener. Have not thought we needed a reverse osmosis system. My main concern is that system uses between 6 & 10 times the water usage. Also the flow rate of a system probably not enough to handle a whole coach system. Usually they are for drinking water and ice makers. 

I have friends that do the whole house RO but it appears to be huge over-kill to me.  "To me" an RO system that covers drinking water and the ice maker makes much more sense.  Most RO's use 3 gallons of water to make 1 so that's a lot of water going down the drain and it also takes a great deal of time to fill your holding tanks....as in many hours....  Take a look at the GPM flow rate divided by your 100+ gallon holding tanks.

Even if you install only an RO system for your drinking water you will have a lot of waste water you need to dispose of.  If you dry camp much you can have this waste returned to the fresh water holding tanks but then your fresh water tanks get "dirty" with waste water as time goes by.  I would let it drain into the grey tank or on the ground and just know that my water usage is going to be somewhat higher due to the waste water.

I use a water softener for the whole house and a high grade water filter for the ice and drinking water and that works very well for me.

I don't now and newer had a need for water softener or RO.  Sorry!

Roland. I get mine at Home Depot or True Value hardware.  I suspect Wall Mart, Lowe's, Ace and Sears also carry it. I use a pressure gauge at the city/park faucet, then a inline filter and a charcoal filter for both park and fresh water tank, I have a by pass Brita filter on my faucet in kitchen!  I did put a by pass valve in for my water bay filter...for when I flush out my whole water system.  Just remove the in line filter at faucet before you flush out hose...they also get nasty after a year, or less! :o

Carl

For my incoming fresh water tank I use a sediment filter followed by a charcoal filter.  Standard stuff and it saved my bacon when I hooked up at a brand new site.  The sediment filter had over an inch of sand in the bottom which would have been a disaster to my fresh water system.

For the ice maker and drinking water I use the filtered fresh water tank water and this goes through a filter like this that I found at Lowes or Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-Single-Stage-Water-Filtration-System-GX1S50R/202817739

Replace the cartridge every 6 months or so.  I no longer buy bottled water as I have good fresh water that I put in empty water bottles over and over again.  The savings are huge.

Bill, good one!  I never buy water in bottles!  I'll look into that filtration system, need new filter by years end.

Thanks

Carl

I just replaced both of my filters yesterday. The DW and I were at Wally World and I happened to notice a Clearance table. There on the table was a 2 pack of sediment filters marked down to $1.00. Swooped them right up. We later went to Lowe's and found the charcoal cartridges for $16.00 for 2. They also had the sediment 2 pack filters for $11.00. "I Feel Good".

Herman 

12 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

I just replaced both of my filters yesterday. The DW and I were at Wally World and I happened to notice a Clearance table. There on the table was a 2 pack of sediment filters marked down to $1.00. Swooped them right up. We later went to Lowe's and found the charcoal cartridges for $16.00 for 2. They also had the sediment 2 pack filters for $11.00. "I Feel Good".

Herman 

You should, Unlike some others I won't offer to sell you used ones or scratched off lottery tickets.:P

I can't help but chime in on this thread. There are a few great video by the RV Geeks around the best practices to keep your tap water safe and fresh. Everyone here seems to know their stuff when it comes to traditional solutions but there is a brand new option for this now with a technology that turns your RV into a full blown water treatment center like you see in major cities. Never worry about microbial contaminants that come from your campsite water hookups again.

http://www.thervgeeks.com/product-recommendations/acuva-uv-led-water-purification/ 

RO has been around for over 60 years and is used by all branches of the US & Canadian Military, as a portable unit.  Tap water from your house has undergone RO, before you get and drink it. 

Cape Coral, FL. has the biggest desalination & RO plant in the world...15 million gallons an hour of mostly pure drinking water!  RO will remove up to 98% germs....for viruses, you still got to do it the "good old fashion way",  soap and water! :P

I could go on and give Nano examples, but don't want to bore anyone! :P