Dsellman

2017 Vehicles Towable 4 Wheels Down

Unfortunately, like Motor Homes, a lot of auto makes are selling 2017's now and have been for 3 months!  You're just going to have to contact the various makes yourself!

Carl 

And if the salesperson tells you the model can be towed 4 down, verify by looking at the owner's manual.  Go through the process of putting the vehicle in "tow mode" and make sure the steering wheel either doesn't lock or it can be unlocked (trust but verify!).

Blake

I would not tow anything four down without the manual saying it's okay or something in writing.

There are folks all over the country towing vehicles that are not officially approved for towing.  They are quick to say, "it tows fine, no problems."

That's fine, until there is a problem because that model is not supposed to be towed four down.  Reminds me of RVers towing 16k 5th wheels with 3/4 ton trucks..."tows great, don't need a bigger truck."

According to the "manual" the Ford Edge is towable.  However, you have to disconnect the negative battery cable to tow it.  The negative cable is up under the dash ledge with about 4 inch clearance.  We don't want to work this hard to tow this car.  The salesmen said the F-150 as well as the rest of the car line have to go through the same process or in some just pull one or two fuses.  It sure isn't convenient. Until car companies realize they are losing market share they won't do anything about this. 

2 hours ago, jj@pwross.com said:

According to the "manual" the Ford Edge is towable.  However, you have to disconnect the negative battery cable to tow it.  The negative cable is up under the dash ledge with about 4 inch clearance.  We don't want to work this hard to tow this car.  The salesmen said the F-150 as well as the rest of the car line have to go through the same process or in some just pull one or two fuses.  It sure isn't convenient. Until car companies realize they are losing market share they won't do anything about this. 

Like Carl said put in a disconect switch where it is easy to reach and install disconnect switches for the fuses like this one. https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Ox-BX88271-Bypass-Switch/dp/B009APJ2UU

Bill

Hooking up takes me about 5 minutes, down, half that, don't see how I can do it any faster...but I guess that's too inconvenient for you.  pulling a fuse? 

Carl

JJ,

We all must understand that when Manufacturers design cars they are doing it for the masses. Not for the very small side if the market that would like to tow their vehicle behind a motor home. :o

If it is still an inconvenience for you to try and tow a 2017, you might consider looking for a older vehicle such as a CRV, 4X4 Chevy, Ford or Dodge. Take it from someone closing in on 80, OLDER IS BETTER.

Happy Thanksgiving,

Herman

Or my 2013 Jeep Wrangler...don't get an 09 Wrangler, it fit's! :P

Herman, how close to 80?  Are we having a "Blow Out" party? :)

Carl

Four months and 6 days, but who is counting:P. Never thought I would be counting in decades and not years:wub:.

Haven't been told yet. I am the family Mushroom, kept in the dark and cover in manure.

Herman

2 hours ago, FIVE said:

I just went through the "does it fit" sequence in the link...doesn't fit my 2014 CRV.

There are others out there that is the first one I found as an example. You could wire one yourself probably under $10.00. 

Carl we can have a party for Herman in Chandler Az. I was told we could have a cake but they are worried that many candles would be a fire hazard.:P

Bill

On 11/12/2016 at 6:58 PM, diggermik said:

Found out for sure from Ford that the 2017 Explorer can be flat towed.

According to the on-line manual for the 2017 Ford Explorer it cannot be towed "four down" if it is front wheel drive or four wheel drive. I would sure read pages 144 and 145 of that manual. 2017 Ford Explorer manual

Arriving late to this one but here is a thought.....Personally, I would look at the 2017 towing guide. Look at all of the posts on here with complaints about towing that make and model (previous years of course), see if it was available to tow all 4 down in the year on the forum post, if so move onto the next toad option. While a few are designated as towable all 4 down as we have seen on here that really isn't working out for some people and I wouldn't want that to be me, stuck with a toad that you cant tow or it shakes and wobbles behind the coach. Fighting with the auto maker is not how I want to spend my trip.

On 11/23/2016 at 2:20 PM, wayne77590 said:

According to the on-line manual for the 2017 Ford Explorer it cannot be towed "four down" if it is front wheel drive or four wheel drive. I would sure read pages 144 and 145 of that manual. 2017 Ford Explorer manual

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong, Wrong.

The correct answer - the 3.5l Duratech and EcoBoost models CAN be flat towed.  Read the whole section please.

3 hours ago, wayne77590 said:

Oops! One wrong is enough.  Besides, I was wron...er mistaken once and you caught it.

I can't believe it but you finally got caught. How did you manage to get away with it since Nov, 2016.

I'm truly sorry and you have my condolences Wayne!  :o That's got to hurt. :rolleyes::wacko:

I do think that one wrong, would have sufficed.  5 is over kill, Oh well, sounds like he's headed to :wacko: land...