PRIESTLAKE

Best Black Tank Rinser

Priestlake. Welcome to the Forum.

If you have a foot or hand valve, direct dump from toilet to tank, then I would recommend you flush in a couple of gallons of water, some Dawn Liquid and a small bag of ice cubes, as you leave for the next RV park (make sure you dump your tanks first).  By the time you reach your destination and dump again, you will have no solids!  I used to do that about every 3 months and had no problems for 40 years!  Can't do that now, I have a electric maceration toilet (no valve)!

Carl   

Do not install the Tornado as it will not work very long.  I have replaced mine twice and the 3rd one has now quit turning as well.  I like the simple no fuss flush.  Put it close to the sensors and it will help keep them clean.  The rest of the tank will take care of itself as long as you use plenty of water and only dump when the tank is close to full.  A bit of water in the tank while traveling will also help keep the interior clean while you drive.

Don't bother with putting ice cubes in the tank unless you are willing to drive down the highway swaying back and forth violently across both lanes like a rodeo contestant attempting to win a barrel race on their horse. (you will most likely also get to meet your local law enforcement officer) There is a video out there somewhere demonstrating just what ice cubes do to a holding tank under normal driving. NOTHING!!!

I agree that ice cubes do very little, I use Dawn dishwashing detergent and Calgon water softener with 3 or more gallons of HOT water just be before embarking on a journey. Have never experienced any problem with the black tank, also the same ingredients down the kitchen sink does a very nice job for the gray tank.

Kay, if you read what I wrote, I also used Dawn!

nighthawk.  No need to sway back and forth...don't know where you drive, but my old 70's, 80's and 90's Class A, 24 foot to 32 foot had lousy suspension and was truly a rolling earthquake on any road !  I got the Ice, water, liquid detergent thing from a member of The Bus Nuts, back in 1976 at a FMCA Annual Rally, he had a Flexible conversion!

Carl 

The reason that I recommend hot water instead of ice cubes is grease is a coagulant in cold water and the hot water will help the dawn to dissolve it. Grease is the main thing in the black tank that causes the stickiness. not trying to be gross.

Kay, if you read what I wrote, I also used Dawn!

nighthawk.  No need to sway back and forth...don't know where you drive, but my old 70's, 80's and 90's Class A, 24 foot to 32 foot had lousy suspension and was truly a rolling earthquake on any road !  I got the Ice, water, liquid detergent thing from a member of The Bus Nuts, back in 1976 at a FMCA Annual Rally, he had a Flexible conversion!

Carl 

I wondered how long it would take to double up again!  Some thing never change! :lol:

Kay.  Point taken and it makes sense! :D

Carl

Bill.  By the time I got finished looking at all of them, I blew the morning..LOL

Some really good info, to a point.  :rolleyes: