rascal_js@yahoo.com

Mold in freshwater hose

Our water hose froze the other night. What a surprise we had when the "ice cube" that came out of our freshwater hose was green! Upon inspection of the hose, we found that there was mold inside the hose. We have been fulltiming for 2 years and we have never seen or heard anything about mold in the freshwater hose.

Has anyone had this experience?

Our water hose froze the other night. What a surprise we had when the "ice cube" that came out of our freshwater hose was green! Upon inspection of the hose, we found that there was mold inside the hose. We have been fulltiming for 2 years and we have never seen or heard anything about mold in the freshwater hose.

Has anyone had this experience?

Particularly if you camp where the water is not chlorinated, water plus sun= algae.

Pour 3 to 4 ounces of plain Clorox or other no-additive bleach in the hose and fill with water. Let stand for a couple of hours and flush with fresh water.

Brett Wolfe

Guest Wayne77590

Thanks for reminding me to check mine before I travel this weekend.

We went to a seminar and learned to add 4 oz of hydrogen peroxide to the hose each time we fill our tank, this stops bacteria in the tank and hose and no taste of bleach, which you will get with clorox and it takes forever to get rid of the taste and is not harmful to you. we buy a large bottle at walmart and have a small (4oz) bottle that my husband measures with works great and no mold

Guest 2driftrs

We'll add our 2 cents worth. One of our water hoses is 20 years old and we still use it. If you're storing your rig for a while, fill your water hose with the bleach solution and let it sit for 24 hours. Then, drain the solution, roll up the hose and couple the ends tightly. This prevents air getting into the hose during storage and prevents algae growth. It's always worked for us.

At our last rally, December 10 to 13, 2009 I went around to our members to check out how many had their water filter at the faucet. More the half did. I told each one of the dangers of this. Some thought it was just a way to sell more inside filters, but most were shocked but undertood the problem. I think we will have someone give a talk on this at our April rally. In the mean time I am going to fill a jar with filtered water and keep it closed up to see if it will grow bad things. I will post the results here.

Herman

At our last rally, December 10 to 13, 2009 I went around to our members to check out how many had their water filter at the faucet. More the half did. I told each one of the dangers of this. Some thought it was just a way to sell more inside filters, but most were shocked but undertood the problem. I think we will have someone give a talk on this at our April rally. In the mean time I am going to fill a jar with filtered water and keep it closed up to see if it will grow bad things. I will post the results here.

Herman

Just a follow up on my last post. Here is a copy of a Fox News.com report. on tainted water.

Disreguard the copy. It will not upload. But here is the article

Monday, December 14, 2009

Miami

About 300 guest have been relocated from a luxury Miami hotel after one guest died and at least two others became sick from bacteria in the water. Health officals say the guest at the Epic Hotel in downtown Miami were sent to nearby hotels Sunday to prevent futher contact with the Legionella bacteria. It can cause potentially deadly pneumonia. It is spread in contaminated mist or vapor, not from person to person. An investigation last week by county and state officals revealed that the hotel had installed a water filter powerful enough to remove chlorine from it's city-supplied water, a move that encourgaged bacterial growth.

Just a side note "How did we ever live out on the farm drinking well water?"