jimburnett

Spokane to Phoenix in January

Question

Hello all - homebound until January but planning and extended trip to Phoenix leaving Spokane in Mid-January.  Will be traveling in 40' motorhome with toad so looking for the safest route taking into account passes and snow.   Any suggestions from those that have done parts or all of this trip in the winter?

13 answers to this question

jimburnett,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

Not sure there will be a good answer until just before you leave when you can consult the weather forecast. May be able to do the "shortest" route if you catch the storm tracks just right, or may be better off crossing west and coming down the warmer/west side of the mountains to California and then east.

The Siskiyou Pass at the Oregon/California border can be very iffy.  Can't tell you then number of times that I've had to change plans due to snow/ice on the pass.  Keep an eye on the forecast.  The passes between Eugene and Medford can also be a bear.  I'm not sure how the coastal roads would work.

7 hours ago, jimburnett said:

Hello all - homebound until January but planning and extended trip to Phoenix leaving Spokane in Mid-January.  Will be traveling in 40' motorhome with toad so looking for the safest route taking into account passes and snow.   Any suggestions from those that have done parts or all of this trip in the winter?

Welcome to the forum. I would think going down the 101 would offer the best weather. After you get down into Calafornia you could move to I-5 to LA you can use the 210 around LA then take I-10 into  Phoenix. 

Bill

1 hour ago, jimburnett said:

I am wary of the Siskiyou Pass for obvious reasons but I don't see where the 101 helps me a whole lot - can you explain?

Going down the coast is warmer. I would look at 90 west to 395 south to 182 around Kennewick to 82 and then follow 84 to Portland then I-5 down to Albany and take 20 to the coast. Or you can just go down I-5 and hope the pass is clear.

Bill

Jim, You don't want to mess with 101.  In January, I would invest in chains and bite the bullet...go over to I-5 and take it to the Barstow cut off from Bakersfield, then stay on I-40 to Needles, take 95S to Blythe and I-10E to Phoenix. :)

As CarlAda said, you have 2 iffy passes on I-5 and (if I remember) one between Spokane and I-5...The Bitteroot range is not an option!

Carl

Since snow is not going to be on the pavement on I-5 all day every day during January, as long as you have some flexibility in your travel schedule I would just take I-5 on a pleasant sunny day.  You should have a great drive with a beautiful view.

Enjoy.

From the Northwest I enjoy US95 in Oregon and Nevada as a way to "get south" on my way to Phoenix , but I-84 can be a handful in winter from Hermiston OR to Payette Idaho. Not always good for a motorhome. I carried chains ( law in Washington) in my 18 wheeler. From Spokane in January  in a motorhome, I would head south on 395 to the Tri-Cities, cross the Snake into Oregon, head west on I-84 , head south on I-205 around Portland, to join I-5. As has been mentioned, there are some potential trouble spots in both Oregon and California. Pay attention to the weather. I would stay away from  the LA area, but that is my preference. In California, I  leave I-5 at exit 278, head east on CA 46 to south on CA 99. In Bakersfield take CA 58 to Barstow, joining I-15 at the end. North on 15  about 4 or 5 miles, head east I-40 to Needles. Head south on US-95 to I-10 in the Blythe area. Of course east to Phoenix.

Following my directions will keep you well away from the traffic and congestion often happening in the LA area and following I-10 east through town after town. You will also miss the Grapevine on I-5 that can get very messy in the winter.  US 95 from Payette Idaho south will take a traveler all of the way to I-10 on the way to Phoenix. Been there, done that, in the winter even.

I've tried I90 through Idaho (hit Snow)to I15 and down. I84 to I15, hit snow east of Twin Falls to I15 twice and snow at Cedar City, Utah twice. My preferred route from Grand Forks, Canada, is 395 to I84 to Twin Falls. Hwy 93 to Ely. Hwy 6 west to Hwy 318 south to where it meets Hwy 93 at Ash springs, Hwy 93 to I15 and your in Las Vegas. In five trips I had compact over the pass east of Pendleton  twice, once each way. I leave the middle of Jan. and watch the 10 day forecast.

18 hours ago, manholt said:

Jim, You don't want to mess with 101.  In January, I would invest in chains and bite the bullet...go over to I-5 and take it to the Barstow cut off from Bakersfield, then stay on I-40 to Needles, take 95S to Blythe and I-10E to Phoenix. :)

As CarlAda said, you have 2 iffy passes on I-5 and (if I remember) one between Spokane and I-5...The Bitteroot range is not an option!

Carl

Chains are a no-go on my Tiffin - use them on my cars and trucks but not a motorhome

I mentioned the possibility of the Grapevine being messy in the winter. Already happened and the season is young. The Grapevine  was closed for several hours due to snow on New Year's Eve .

Any road can be bad for "hours" but it's very rare for something like that to happen without warning.  As long as you can plan ahead and you allow flexibility in your travels there really is no Interstate in the US that I would avoid just because it happens to be Winter.