homefreefmca

Traveling

We started camping in approximately 1977with a rented 14 foot trailer.  

As our family grew, our neighbors lent us their hard top camper. We were hooked. Bought a used Starcraft camper for $1200.  With 3 young ones we camped at mostly provincial parks and had great family outings with sisters,brothers and their families.

When we got our first motorhome (Class C) in 2000 - was going to rent one until I found out the cost would be a good down payment, so we bought it - we traveled over 4,000 miles in just over 3 weeks.  Just like boaters we got 2 foot its and moved up to  a 34 foot Class A  gas model.

We used it on our maiden voyage when we retired in 2001. Spent first winter in Florida.  We loved the lifestyle and decided we would try full timing. this meant having to find a motorhome that we would be happy with year round.

In 2002 we found Granma's bus ( as our 3 year old grandson called it). For the next 10+ years we traveled all over Canada & the USA -  the Keys to San Diego to Homer, Alaska, Newfoundland & Labrador and all point in between. We truly have been blessed. We now call ourselves 1/2 Timers as we bought a modular home in our park, just in case. We go mostly to Yuma. People ask us how long it takes us to get there. We tell them, it takes anywhere from two weeks to a month, got to stop and smell those roses, right. Hope you enjoy our little story. HAPPY TRAVELS.

Sounds like a good plan to me. I have had people just stare when I tell them we are going some place (say Maine next summer) and they say how long will it take you and I say I don't know. Then the question is when will you be back, I git weird looks when I say before Thanksgiving. Most people can't imagine being gone for more than 2 weeks maybe 3 at the most. Like some have said it is nice to travel at your own pace, if you see something interesting stop and explore it.

Bill 

It's not the destination, it's the journey you take!  :)  Several times, I'll be going someplace and take a side road couple of hundred miles off my route...after a week, make some calls, cause I would be late.  Very late, like a month! :lol:  It's how I found Ajo, AZ and Rocky Point, MX. the first time! :wub:

Carl