Sign in to follow this  
stonegl1955

Flat Towing With a Hitch Extention

I'm considering moving our bicycles off the back of the tow (Chevy Equinox) and putting them on a dual hitch extention (Curt Mfg. 45792 or similar) between the coach and tow vehicle. To do this I will need to run an additional 18" hitch extention (Camping World 26514 or similar) out of the lower dual hitch extention, bike rack in the top, to insure my Blue Ox Alladin (7,500#) has enough room to fold into the storage position with the bikes in place. Blue Ox has a 10,000# 12" extention but I don't believe that gives me enough room between the bikes and tow bar to store it as it is designed. As I read the specs on these extensions they are both rated at 4,000#. According to GM my tow vehicle curb weight is 3,758# to 3,993#. We do carry some ancillary items in the vehicle as we travel that will most likely push it above 4,000#. Does anyone have any experience/suggestions on this type of set up?

I wanted to add a dual hitch to my setup, but I use a drop bar to lower the tow bar height properly.  I use Roadmaster equipment and they have the necessary parts to do the setup.  I contacted Roadmaster as to the feasibility of this setup and they strongly cautioned against it, even though my equipment exceeded my towing needs.  They don't recommend multiple attachments like that.  They suggested a dual hitch with a bigger drop, but there isn't one that gives me an 8 inch drop.  I suppose I could have one welded, but have put it on the back burner for now.  I'd suggest calling Blue Ox for their recommendations.

I had a similar problem when I had my Jeep Wrangler re done for off road use, between the 3" lift to accommodate bigger and longer springs and then 34" tires on 20" wheels.  I found that my tow bar to hitch was at about 30 degrees from level...I had the same shop that did the Jeep, weld 2, 2 1/4" square angle irons together (off set)  The one that goes into receiver on coach is 20" long and the one on top (for Roadmaster) is 14" long...now I tow Dead Level !  Too insure that the welds will hold we put a 1/2' x 6" bolt, 2" and another 5" from the end of the top receiver.  The nuts of each is welded on! :D   

Carl

stonegl.

We had a fab shop build our hitch extension to accommodate the height of our Dodge Ram.  Like Carl's Jeep, our Ram is lifted 4" with 35" tires so we needed to raise the height and make it so the receiver end would allow the tow bar to be level to the ground.  We also added length to allow us to open the engine cover to cool things down in the engine bay when parked for the night.  I think a fab shop could build you an extension and make a "false" receiver for your bike rack.  I can weld but did not want to do the job myself but rather leave it to the professionals.  Thus using a fab shop.

Blake