jbhotaling

Upholstery Fabric Delaminating

A recent upgrade to a new to us coach a 2009 Thor Magellan and on our first trip of a month the sofa bed with attached recliner leatherette ( or whatever it is) started coming off in 6" chunks. I initially thought that the dealer did some cleaning causing it. After a search on another forum I have learned that this is an ongoing issue with sub standard material for many others. When we looked at the MH to purchase there was no indication of this issues so I'm guessing the dealer doing prep and detail aggravated  a problem waiting to happen. Just wish it didn't happen on our first trip. 

Today I went to a RV restorer which advertises in FMCA magazine which  was only 15 miles away from me. A very nice place, very big and most likely the most expensive. I got a quote to recover the sofa/recliner and both driver and passenger chairs for $4,480.... OUCH!!!

I needed a few small items and went to my local RV parts store Giant Recreation World in Ormond Beach who knows me well and asked for information. They had a business card for a woman who does sewing for RV's boats etc. They have used her often with outstanding results. Called her and am waiting for her to look and give a quote. I will keep you posted on my results.

jbhotaling.  I would talk to Dealer about it, after asking if the interior of the coach was detailed before you got it.  If it was, then ask if it was done by a contract firm or in house cleaning crew!

Sorry for your troubles.

Carl

Call Thor.  We had the same problem with our 2007 Tuscany.  They offered a 1/2 off price on the front Captain's chairs.  Buy 1 cover and get the second free.  We had to pay for the labor to put them on.  Cover cost was around $500 for the one chair.  At that time they would not cover our Euro recliners that had the same problem.  We replaced the chairs instead of recovering them.

PS  We were second owners of the coach.

After much research we pulled the trigger with the $4,480 quote.

Local auto upholstery shops in the area are in their busy season and *maybe* could fit me in sometime the first few months of the new year. Their ballpark quotes were from $3,000 to $4,000, yes they knew about RV's but that warm cozy feeling just wasn't there.  With the sewing person recommended by a local RV dealer I/we soon realized this was beyond their ability.

After reading many many posts on the Irv2 forum about the ongoing problems with the delamination till I got blurry eyed we decided to do the captain chairs as well and be done with it. Captain chairs weren't delaminating but had wear marks probably from the chair to far back and rubbing on each slide. 

The coach is off on Wednesday for its facelift to Classic Coachworks in Ormond beach, Fl. This is a VERY large RV remodeler and we feel confident a superior job will be done. Looking at coaches in progress I was impressed. And DW (dear wife) got to pick out a different shade of grade 1 ultra leather. 

All in all we are extremely happy with the rest of the coach, love the floor plan, everything works and i think i can fix / upgrade from this moment on. 

Bruce & June Hotaling, 2 Cockers, Maggie & Sadie
2009 Thor Magellan 36R 37' F53 w/5 star tune
2012 Ford Fusion hybrid & 2010 Ford Ranger Toads