jeff753

Rally Attendance and Vendors

14 hours ago, billandlise said:

As I said before, I have not attended any Rallies yet. That's on the agenda for 2017 (4 now including Indy) but from what I'm gathering maybe FMCA need consider:

4 Regional Rallies instead of the 2 National ones. This is intended that people choose ONE to attend each year, not be able to attend all. Matter of fact, setup the computer to not ALLOW multiple attendances based on Membership #.  Chapter event attendance could benefit from this as well. 

If staying with National Rallies, break them up.

A Beginners Rally.  A Rally specifically designed for those new to Motorhomes with Seminars and Vendors selected accordingly. 

A Working Mans Rally. A rally with a schedule designed to accommodate people still employed such as Seminars running from 3-8 pm, Vendors open Noon till 10pm, etc.

A Remember When Rally. A rally specifically designed for the longer term members who have been there done that and would love to talk about it. 

Just a few thoughts for reflection, please chime in. 

These are really good ideas billandlise! I like the idea of the regional rallies, working man's rally, etc.  If they were smaller, it would open up the options for holding a rally at smaller venues.

Also, expand the appeal to beginners to the magazine as well.  For quite a few years, there was an article titled "full timers primer".  What about now having a "first timers primer" article each month, or something similar.

I hope FMCA directors are watching.

Chris G.

F3508s

Chris,

I love to see the F Numbers with either an "S" or "D" on them. It means that the wonderful tradition of RVing is being carried on in a family. 

Many here have expressed concerns about the health of FMCA. Some have merit while others just seem to be sour grapes. I have a thought for everyone, "get involved". It is easy to sit back, criticize and complain and do nothing to help. Join a chapter, get involved work with or even become a National Director. Go to your area rallies and again get involved.  Going to a National Rally and get involved is a way to help in the areas you feel need help.

It has been spelled out many time why National Rallies are held in particular locations. In many cases it is not held at a time where working families can attend. However if you are a member of a chapter in your area there will be better chances to go.

Another thing is to get with families with children and start a chapter that will fit the needs and time for get to-gathers for Family fun. There are so many types of chapters out there. Some love to Square Dance, other like to go dirt biking, folks with the same religious faiths, Quilters, hunter, Bikers, Ham radios operators, the list can go on for ever. 

Back in 1963 a group of families got to gather because they liked to camp and socialize with other campers. How long many of them had been camping to gather, no one knows but they saw the need to organize and work to help others families enjoy the comrade-re they had. That is why it was called The FAMILY Motor Coach Association.

Lets liken FMCA to your family Christmas'. It is always held at Grandma and Grandpas. It is a tradition, but Grandma and Grandpa are getting old and it is hard for them to keep having the family gathering but still do because they want it to continue but no one is willing to step up and take up the tradition. So how about stepping up and help take some of the burden off of those that are working so hard to keep the tradition going.

I volunteer, How About You?

Merry Christmas to all,

Herman    

23 hours ago, kmcabee1960 said:

I just read on another forum that one of the issues people are having is the posting or lack of posting dates far enough out of various Conventions, Rallies, etc.  More specifically, that FMCA doesn't post their dates far enough out in advance.

On behalf of the FMCA ENERGIZED Task Force and U60 Please feel free to keep the discussions going. 

The only thing we use from this forum is identifying issues and solutions! 

Our Mission is:
"Pursuing new members, ideas and enthusiasm for the future success of the organization"
In addition our current goals include:
-Recruit new members for FMCA both under and over 60.
-Establish a voice within the leadership of FMCA
-Sponsor more age related events and activities at Rallies.
-Explore new/additional benefits and initiatives for members
Towards the goal of “Sponsor more age related events and activities at Rallies” we created FMCA ENERGIZED.

5 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Chris,

I love to see the F Numbers with either an "S" or "D" on them. It means that the wonderful tradition of RVing is being carried on in a family. 

Many here have expressed concerns about the health of FMCA. Some have merit while others just seem to be sour grapes. I have a thought for everyone, "get involved". It is easy to sit back, criticize and complain and do nothing to help. Join a chapter, get involved work with or even become a National Director. Go to your area rallies and again get involved.  Going to a National Rally and get involved is a way to help in the areas you feel need help.

It has been spelled out many time why National Rallies are held in particular locations. In many cases it is not held at a time where working families can attend. However if you are a member of a chapter in your area there will be better chances to go.

Another thing is to get with families with children and start a chapter that will fit the needs and time for get to-gathers for Family fun. There are so many types of chapters out there. Some love to Square Dance, other like to go dirt biking, folks with the same religious faiths, Quilters, hunter, Bikers, Ham radios operators, the list can go on for ever. 

Back in 1963 a group of families got to gather because they liked to camp and socialize with other campers. How long many of them had been camping to gather, no one knows but they saw the need to organize and work to help others families enjoy the comrade-re they had. That is why it was called The FAMILY Motor Coach Association.

Lets liken FMCA to your family Christmas'. It is always held at Grandma and Grandpas. It is a tradition, but Grandma and Grandpa are getting old and it is hard for them to keep having the family gathering but still do because they want it to continue but no one is willing to step up and take up the tradition. So how about stepping up and help take some of the burden off of those that are working so hard to keep the tradition going.

Merry Christmas to all,

Herman    

Don't view it as sour grapes....few it as feedback.   If we don't ask what we can do to improve younger attendee percentages then we are doing FMC and younger Rvers a dis-service.  If someone brings up an issue it gives us things to look at to improve and it gives our members a chance to provide feedback.  

Before we decide to agree or disagree we first need to decide to understand.

Jeff,

The way you stated this post was like a bad car salesman. "This car has had a bad transmission,  many recalls and doesn't run too well but hey it's still a good buy ".

Everything we say about FMCA should be telling of all of the positive there are and not mentioning any negatives. Try selling everything positive about FMCA Energize. Tell folks that their help is needed to implement those positives. I think FMCA Energize is needed to help FMCA and not tear to it down.

Herman 

7 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Jeff,

The way you stated this post was like a bad car salesman. "This car has had a bad transmission,  many recalls and doesn't run too well but hey it's still a good buy ".

Everything we say about FMCA should be telling of all of the positive there are and not mentioning any negatives. Try selling everything positive about FMCA Energize. Tell folks that their help is needed to implement those positives. I think FMCA Energize is needed to help FMCA and not tear to it down.

Herman 

There ya go. There is the attitude and reasoning that makes the younger people go...why do I want to be involved? We can't discuss the problems in order to fix them without getting this attitude. We're supposed to get involved and "sell everything positive". But We're not feeling positive, Herman.

To use your analogy, you want to be a "good" car salesman. Everything's perfect, runs like a top...until you get a mile down the road. But hey, then it's your problem, you bought the car.

15 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

I have a thought for everyone, "get involved". It is easy to sit back, criticize and complain and do nothing to help. Join a chapter, get involved work with or even become a National Director. Go to your area rallies and again get involved.  Going to a National Rally and get involved is a way to help in the areas you feel need help.

You're really paying attention to the posts in this thread, aren't you? We are discussing the difficulties we are having doing this very thing and trying to develop solutions, even temporary stopgap solutions, to those difficulties.

The sour grapes people will never post on these forums, they will use every OTHER social media out there, as vindictively as possible. The people commenting on here are making suggestions, bouncing ideas around and yes, commenting on the issues that effect them the most in an attempt to identify the issues we can affect, determine how to address the issues and gather the support to act. That's how it can improve. And hey, posting on here IS involvement. 

I had thought from your previous posts that you understood and appreciated that. That YOU were going to be a source of aid, the older statesman helping the young whippersnappers. These last 2 posts revert back to the same old same old.

15 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Another interesting analogy. The tradition you refer to is all but dead now across the USA. Those were your generations Grandma and Grandpas and your parents. Very few younger than the youngest Baby Boomers even understand the family gatherings you are referring to. Good or bad, Society today is vastly different in so many ways. Let me illustrate it this way: 

In your signature, you show you are from Whitewright, TEXAS. That's great, you are and should be proud of where you are from. It's part of your identity.

Now look back up at our (the younger posters) signatures, how many even have a hometown listed? The younger generations do not identify with a place like Baby Boomers do. I'm not saying thats good or bad, I'm saying its a fact.

So, Do you want to hold on to tradition or do you want to help FMCA navigate THIS society and thrive?

Bill Anderson, F433108

Fulltiming Somewhere, USA

2011 Tiffin Allegro

pulling 2015 RAM 1500

Bill,

Thank you for your comments, I hope to visit with you in Chandler. I'm too old for the FMCA Energized Group but maybe at the Forum "Meet & Greet". Brett is working with Chris for a place to meet. Brett will post here on the Forum the date, time and location in Chandler. 

Am I old school, most likely yes. Do I believe in traditions, Yes. Do I believe in change, most definitely. I want help improve many things in FMCA. How do I do that, I get involved. I volunteer, I get myself elected to positions where I can help both my home chapter and South Central Area. If I were younger I would be trying to go further up the line where I could do more. All I am trying to say is when you have an idea for betterment, it is better to promote the ideas with a solution then condemning what the situation currently is.

I have heard many thoughts here about what need to change. I hope that you are getting involved in helping to make those changes.

May you, Lise and your family have a Merry Christmas and a Happy and safe New Year.     

Herman

I'll add my comments even though I don't have a dog in the fight.

We don't do rally's, caravans or travel with friends and we don't for one simple reason - we don't like schedules. That being said, I see there has been one major criticism of FMCA and that is it caters to the older motorhome owner. In my humble opinion, that's a true statement so I don't consider that a criticism but rather stating a fact. When I notice RVer's with children they are normally camping in a travel trailer and as far as I know those are banned from FMCA membership so that automatically eliminates the majority of RVer's with kids. I, personally, don't see many families with children camping in motorhomes but then again, I don't stay at  Jellystone campgrounds.

There have been many suggestions made for changes and/or additions to make FMCA more kid friendly in the previous posts so I don't see that this thread has been just about criticizing FMCA. Anyway, and again this is just my opinion, but a little constructive criticism can be a very productive tool to make any organization, business, school, etc better.

One final thought, as I see it, if someone offers a suggestion to do something different they must be criticizing FMCA for how it is currently being done.  That's just being plain narrow minded. This isn't football where defense is the best offense.

Since we joined FMCA my wife and I have often discussed where the future is going to go. We see the same at the Holiday Rambler club, declining memberships, most of the younger crowd doesn't want to be tied to a club. I can say without a doubt we are a bit old fashioned I guess. We are in the process of joining a local FMCA chapter in 2017, it's at the top of my list. I believe the comradely among these groups is strong and building friendships amongst people that share common interests is a good thing. We will experience a rally for ourselves in the future, hopefully sooner than later, at that time I will think about how I feel things could be better for the families in our age group and make suggestions. I don't expect any changes based off of my suggestions alone but I do plan on becoming more involved in the future years as I truly believe this is a great organization and what it stands for. 

I also believe part of the problem is the decline in Motorhome purchases while the RV industry with towed RV's is growing. Times are and have been changing, dual family income is almost a must anymore and people don't have much time outside of their normal day to day grind.

For Motorhome families there has to be some time and desire to meet other people and just have some fun, if nothing else to sit around a fire and discuss where we want to travel as a group. I don't know the answer as a newbie but discussions on the forum and laying it all out on the table is a good thing for the future.

Merry Christmas everyone. 

Read with interest the comments about getting involved. I have found that even when you offer to help many times you are bypassed even when the leadership is saying no one is stepping up.. I have offered several times and offered suggestions for some adjustments in how things are done and it seems to fall on deaf ears.. Leadership talks a good game to your face but goes home and seems to forget the conversation.  I suggest that they need to make that follow-up call as those who offer have put the ball in their hands and only need a little encouragement to jump in. 

On December 23, 2016 at 1:43 PM, hermanmullins said:

Jeff,

Herman 

Herman 

When I'm in a campground speaking to non members that's what I do but this is a forum for Current members (most of them on the task force) to discuss issues and try for solutions.   This is simply one of the information gathering tools the Task Force needs to work issues.   This forum allows us to converse between conventions.  

Without communications, both positive and negative, we cannot help shape FMCA into the FMCA that we will ultimately inherit.

Just because someone believes the organization could improve in a particular area, doesn't mean they aren't on the same team. 

Jeff Walukonis

We were young once with kids and owned a class B, then a trailer and then a class C. With kids we were guided by school vacations, jobs, and locations, time was precious. FMCA was the furthest thing from our mind, Disney, amusement parks, historical sites and recreational areas were on our mind. Jellystone Parks, KOAs and campgrounds that gave Good Sam discounts   were where we stayed. We didn't have time for rally's or chapters even though we paid our Good Sam dues.  One of my sons has had two 5th wheels and just got a Class C bunkhouse so he and his wife and the 4 boys can do what we did when he was young, go places and do things. 

We are old and retired and can go when we want to FMCA suits us. My son is young and tied to schedules Disney suits him. That's how life works. 

10 hours ago, gulya said:

One of my sons has had two 5th wheels and just got a Class C bunkhouse so he and his wife and the 4 boys can do what we did when he was young, go places and do things. 

Tom and Carol, that is the age group FMCA Energized is targeting. I also completely agree with your post above. I am 44 with two kids in high school, my time is so limited I just barely have a chance to do all of the seasonal stuff to the coach before we set out on another weekend excursion. Both of us work so finding time for a rally can be a struggle, especially if its longer than 5 hours away.

DW and I just had this conversation the other night, FMCA has become a routine topic in our household, she knows how determined I am to attend while she is trying to plan as much with the kids before they venture out on their own.

Also, we are headed to Disney this summer, funny you should mention that :D

On 12/23/2016 at 5:48 AM, hermanmullins said:

Chris,

Merry Christmas to all,

Herman    

I'm so glad I noticed this post.  My wife & I recently purchased a motorhome & joined FMCA.  Over Christmas we surprised our grown sons with the news.  During the discussion & reminiscing about my parents motorhomes & the boys mentioned fond memories of going places with their grandparents.  I showed them my FMCA plaques, that haven't been mounted yet, & they mentioned how neat it would be to find my Dad's FMCA number.  Little did I know that I could request to have Dad's number with a "S".  I just called FMCA to have it changed & ordered new plaques from Kiley.  I can't wait to tell my family about it & I'd be willing to bet the number with a "G" will be on a FMCA plaque in the near future also.

Thanks for the heads up Herman & thanks to FMCA for this feature.  This is a wonderful benefit & will help insure the continuity from generation to generation (at least in this family).

24 minutes ago, Weiss said:

I'm so glad I noticed this post.  My wife & I recently purchased a motorhome & joined FMCA.  Over Christmas we surprised our grown sons with the news.  During the discussion & reminiscing about my parents motorhomes & the boys mentioned fond memories of going places with their grandparents.  I showed them my FMCA plaques, that haven't been mounted yet, & they mentioned how neat it would be to find my Dad's FMCA number.  Little did I know that I could request to have Dad's number with a "S".  I just called FMCA to have it changed & ordered new plaques from Kiley.  I can't wait to tell my family about it & I'd be willing to bet the number with a "G" will be on a FMCA plaque in the near future also.

Thanks for the heads up Herman & thanks to FMCA for this feature.  This is a wonderful benefit & will help insure the continuity from generation to generation (at least in this family).

Out of curiosity please let us know the number when you have it. Great to have you on board!

1 hour ago, jleamont said:

Out of curiosity please let us know the number when you have it. Great to have you on board!

F 081605 S - was originally assigned F 463401.  

17 hours ago, gulya said:

We were young once with kids and owned a class B, then a trailer and then a class C. With kids we were guided by school vacations, jobs, and locations, time was precious. FMCA was the furthest thing from our mind, Disney, amusement parks, historical sites and recreational areas were on our mind. Jellystone Parks, KOAs and campgrounds that gave Good Sam discounts   were where we stayed. We didn't have time for rally's or chapters even though we paid our Good Sam dues.  One of my sons has had two 5th wheels and just got a Class C bunkhouse so he and his wife and the 4 boys can do what we did when he was young, go places and do things. 

We are old and retired and can go when we want to FMCA suits us. My son is young and tied to schedules Disney suits him. That's how life works. 

I wholeheartedly agree.... and this is one of the major reasons why we have a limited population of those under 60. 

No doubt the vast majority of those under 60 are still working.  Many have kids and have less "free time", therefore every day is precious.  In addition, most of these occupy Fifth wheels and travel-trailers as well.  Having said that, there is a small (growing) group of motorhomers that have kids, or not, but they are under 60.  Some full time in a motorhome with roadschooled kids.   Some of them retired early kids or not.  What we did at West Springfield was to try to make that small group of 94 (task force members) and their kids have a good time with fun stuff in addition to the regular rally.  We put the kids together on day one with the Kidz Meet N Greet so they could meet other kids.  We also had fun stuff for the adults to do too.

Since we have Energized the Under 60 Task Force it allows us to try to help grow FMCA not only amoung our demographics.  In addition, we now have Task Force members on many of the National Committees (thanks to Charlie A) and becoming National Directors too. 

Obviously if people come to rallys and feel they had a good time they may consider it in their limited time next year. 

Although we live in Myrtle Beach (when we are home) both sets of grandkids live in Madison Wi. When the rally was there in 15 we brought the girls over for the ladies events and a chapter gathering. We brought the older boys over for an entertainment night, Charlie Adcock was roaming through the crowd and stopped to welcome our son and his boys and they thought that was cool.  

My 45 yo daughter and her husband are tent campers so not that interested. Our 38 yo son and his wife had 5th wheel parked in a permanent site, and they were intrigued with the display coaches ultimately they purchased a class c this fall. The fact that the rally was near them made it possible to include them. Will they ever become FMCA members, probably our son will but will he be active-- hard to say.