hayesfamily

Rolling Down The Highway With The Kids

Our two biggest trips will be a Week long in the Shenandoah the week of July 23 and we will end our week in Doswell VA at Kings Dominion Camp Ground Area.  
On this trip I am looking for things to do with a 19 y/o and a 8 y/o. The baby homeschool's and we tend to school year around so if anyone knows where I can find good Civil War stuff related in this area thats not traumatic for him that would be awesome. The grown kid has a phone so she would just need something that will hold her attention for 3 min.

Also, October 18th we leave for Orlando for a 10 day in the Orlando Area. We are going to make stops in North and South Carolina's Georgia over 3 days and Finally sometime Saturday get to Orlando. On the way down I considered taking a day to head over to Cape Canaveral. No experience camping in that area so suggestions would be nice. Also, never been to Orlando with out Disney or Universal. I am staying in Fort Wilderness and we will have a toad with us but I would like to get into something other than Disney on that Saturday and Sunday. Does anyone know where the "Not so Tourist" areas are so I can get some authentic Mexican or Caribbean style food and do something other than seeing Mickey and his friends? There has to be somewhere that folks go to "get away" from the mouse and his money trap. 

Keon, We stayed at the Kings Dominion CG this past year, nice CG, we weren't fans of the amusement park. After you have been to Disney its tough to go somewhere else and be satisfied, especially at their rates.  If you want Civil war stuff head to Gettysburg PA, its not far from you and you will have a lot to keep you entertained. If you do choose to go that route Gettysburg Campground is our favorite, if you want a day to just sit and relax they have a packed schedule of activities for kids. If you are looking for an amusement park I recommend Knoebels in Elysburg PA, no admission fee you just pay for the rides and the park is full of history, it has been there since the 20's. They have a CG I don't recommend staying there, if you have the toad stay just down the street at JD campground, they have nice large sites and full hookups (Knoebels sites are not level and only have 30amp electric, no water or sewer and their bath houses are...well that's another story) plus if I wanted to use bathhouses Id buy a tent.

Next summer we are headed for Cape Canaveral while we park the coach at Fort Wilderness, then onto the Keys, St Augustine and maybe Sanibel island. We are in the planning stage for that trip and I haven't began to look for CG's yet.

Keon, while traveling to Orlando if you are traveling I-95, Sananah/Tyby Island, is just a jog off I-95, Ft. Pulaski is a great and very informative place in regards to Civil war sites. Also, Chattanooga Tn., Chickamauga  battlefield is a very worth while site for the same reason. Tn. probably not on way to Orlando from Virginia, but a planned trip there could certainly be awesome if you are into the CW.. St. Augustine predates the CW, but the old Spanish style housing and Fort are great for history.

Joe. If you go to Sanibel/Captiva Island, look for a CG in Ft. Myers and use toad...narrow roads and lot's of traffic is the norm!  You might want to visit Pine Isl. also. 

A good place we stayed at just outside Disney World is Tropical Palms in Kissimmee old 50s style town right outside park they even have cruse night on sat also only about an hour from Kennedy space center 

6 hours ago, Jrock said:

A good place we stayed at just outside Disney World is Tropical Palms in Kissimmee old 50s style town right outside park they even have cruse night on sat also only about an hour from Kennedy space center 

Drove through that Campground in September and I got to admit, they do a very good job of keeping it maintained.  I am not going to lie and say I wasnt concerned about its distance from Fun World and that traffic activity but once you get back into the Community it's very quiet.

I also explored to other campgrounds one being the KOA closer to the Walmart and Medieval Times as well as the one closest to Summer Bay and if I had my choosing of the three it would definitely be the KOA. The reason for that is very simple, the KOA was just absolutely fantastic in the ground I mean 10 out of 10 out of 10 from what I saw. There was no question whether or not the sites were reasonably level and the ambience was that of a 4-star hotel. Everything that I would have wanted to do within walking distance and that was a humongous Plus.

9 hours ago, jleamont said:

Next summer we are headed for Cape Canaveral while we park the coach at Fort Wilderness, then onto the Keys, St Augustine and maybe Sanibel island. We are in the planning stage for that trip and I haven't began to look for CG's yet.

Keep me posted on your plans for this trip. I am planning to leave the coach at Fort Wilderness and driving over to Cape Canaveral but I wasn't exactly sure if camping in that neck of the woods was even available because I would like to stay a day or two there. Nevertheless keep me posted I'm kind of sort of planning a trip for 2018 similar to what you're talking about. 

Keon, TGO in Titusville would be very convenient for you for the space center.  I'm sure there are others.  Agree with the suggestion to use rvparkreviews.com to find suitable campgrounds. 

You have a lot of ground to cover in 10 days.  Travel safe and enjoy! 

We just got back from Orlando, Fort wilderness was very nice. "Jetty Park" was a pretty nice campground near Cape Canaveral,  you could walk right over to a nice beach. And watching the cruise ships go out was pretty cool, the kids enjoyed that 

3 minutes ago, patriot44 said:

We just got back from Orlando, Fort wilderness was very nice. "Jetty Park" was a pretty nice campground near Cape Canaveral,  you could walk right over to a nice beach. And watching the cruise ships go out was pretty cool, the kids enjoyed that 

What did they have for hookups (jetty park)? Their website is pretty poor on information.

Yes, the website is vague and their check in process is a little cumbersome.  However once we got to our site,  we had full hook ups ( sewer, water, 50 amp elec).

However, I would recommend walking the road to your site or driving your TOAD,  we had to choose  our path to the campsite carefully because of low hanging trees