tommythedon

Steering Stabilizers

My coach is new this year with 10,300 miles.  It has a Freightliner XC-R chassis. On highways I encounter frequent "drift" that is worse when being passed or on uneven road surfaces.  I also frequently monitor my tire pressure to proper specs.

I am considering adding a steering stabilizer though the factory rep said it should not be needed.  My dealer service rep has recommended a rear anti-sway bar.  I don't know enough about this as it is my first Class A coach.  I am confused as to whether either of these 2 fixes are worth the investment.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks  Tom K

Tom,

Is your tire pressure based on the GVWR sticker or actual weights?

Have you had the alignment checked-- caster is important to tracking, as is toe-in?

Tom.  You in a gas or DP coach?  Make and Model would help.  As Brett said, have the alignment, toe, caster checked before adding anything.

Carl

Tom

Tire pressure speced by manufacturer is for the coach with each axle loaded to GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating).

If you are under that (and I assume/hope) you are, you could be running well over-inflated.

For example, correct tire pressure for the tires on our coach is 70- 120 depending on weight.

If you are, say 20 PSI over-inflated, it will make for squirrelly handing.

So, step one is to weight the coach: Individual wheel positions best, but axle weights second best.  Then go to your tire manufacturer's inflation table to determine the minimum PSI.

And, with a new coach, I would have RIDE HEIGHT checked and then alignment checked.  This is recommended as soon as a brand new coach is loaded.

Only after the basics are done would I look at after-market devices.

If coming to the FMCA Convention in Chandler AZ next spring, some to the Suspension Seminar-- will be discussing this kind of thing.

All 6 tires?  You might have too much air in them, go find a place to have your coach weighed, each corner and front back, with what you normally have in coach on the road.

I carry a lot less air in mine and I'm at 45 foot.

Carl 

Good grief, I wrote the above, before you answered Brett...what is going on! :angry:  And where has my answer been for the past 21/2 hours?

Carl

Carl,

You probably need to contact Todd at FMCA.  Perhaps he can help figure out the anomalies you are experiencing. Double posts and delayed posts are not common-- at least, no one else has mentioned it.

Anyone else experiencing either of these issues?  Details please.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, Tommythedon said:

My coach is new this year with 10,300 miles.  It has a Freightliner XC-R chassis. On highways I encounter frequent "drift" that is worse when being passed or on uneven road surfaces.  I also frequently monitor my tire pressure to proper specs.

I am considering adding a steering stabilizer though the factory rep said it should not be needed.  My dealer service rep has recommended a rear anti-sway bar.  I don't know enough about this as it is my first Class A coach.  I am confused as to whether either of these 2 fixes are worth the investment.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks  Tom K

Just because it is new doesn't mean the front end alignment is right. In your owners manual it will talk about this. Basically it will say something like It was right for the weight at the factory(at that moment and dry weight) but if you add any weight it may not be right. I would load it up like you were leaving on a trip full fuel, water, propane, and I would add 50% grey and black tanks. Then have the ride height set and all wheel alignment.

Bill

Regardless of tire pressure I had the Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer installed on my coach. It is one of the better things I have done. No more road drift. No more heavy sway when 18 wheelers pass, better stability when cross winds present. Blah, blah, blah.

Brett, I will post my problems on the issues in the "locked out of the FMCA website" post on the "forum support tab" so we don't cloud up this post. 

Thank you

Tom,

What coach do you have.  Then we will know exactly what suspension you have.  Freightliner offers the same chassis in different configurations depending on what the coach maker wants.

So, some XC chassis have solid front axles, some have IFS (Independent Front Suspensions).  Very different.

Tire pressure will not affect alignment, but over or under inflated tires can have not just safety concerns, but can make handling squirrelly.

Ride height CAN affect alignment.