QuiGonJohn

Kwikkee Steps Not Working

I have a 2006 Winnebago Aspect 26A on a Ford E450.  Have Kwikkee steps (single step).  The step stopped working.  Camped this past weekend, it was fine all weekend. Stopped at a park to have lunch on the way home, steps would not extend.  Tried everything I can.  Even looked at the manual (which I have for the motorhome and the steps are in there), but I could not make heads nor tails of this problem.  And I am usually pretty good with things, swapped TV's in the motorhome on my own and have done other maint/repair work, changed genset spark plug and oil, etc.  Can anyone help me with some simple steps to t/s.  The steps have a light under them. It goes on if you open the door and out if you close it.  I have 2 breakers for the steps, (round push type), they both seem fine.  Any help would be appreciated.  I really hope to fix this without a visit to the RV Shop.

First thing I'd check is the ground wire.  There's a green wire from the motor to a ground.  Remove it at the point of contact and completely clean the contact area then reinstall.  Mine had significant amount of road grime built up that was preventing a good ground.

Next, take some Isopropyl alcholol and clean the door contacts and make sure that they operate freely.

Hopefully, one of those steps may solve your issue.

Take a Rubber head hammer or regular wrapped in a towel and hit motor, make sure your in the clear, when it comes out...clean all off step with either soap and water or Simple green and water (you need to do that monthly) and lube all moving parts after each cleaning!  Most times it's the arm between motor and step that hangs up...little computer chip in there and right now, it probably thinks the step is out..you need to jar it loose, then it will reset itself to the door!

Also, make sure that step is completely out and looked before any weight is put on it...including the dog (if you got one)!  In the section of Step, there is an amazing amount written about this problem! 

Carl

I will work on these suggestions.

I went back to the FORUM HOME, but did not see a "STEP" Section, Electrical, Chassis, Systems and others, but did not see "STEP"  Where can I find that?

Carl, as best as I can tell, there is only one set of Door Contacts, a magnetic contact on the Screen Door and the Door Jamb, this functions correctly for the light under the step, so I would imagine it is the same for controlling the step itself.

On my door contact, there were 3 buttons together (that was on a 06 Inspire) with alcohol and exercised them several cycles.  Yours will likely be different, but you get the idea.

In the upper right is the "search" box.  Just put in "Steps".  Yes, it will bring up other topics with the word steps in them, but quite a lot about your steps.

So I did not get anywhere with banging on the motor.  I see the arm that as best I recall, rotates position when the motor operates.  But have been unable to move that arm.  I also see a green wire, with it's own wire cover, that does seem to bolt to the chassis, so this must be ground.  Could that wire at ground be the problem even though the lamp under the steps works right?  I guess if the lamp is grounded itself, it may not use that wire.

5 hours ago, QuiGonJohn said:

So I did not get anywhere with banging on the motor.  I see the arm that as best I recall, rotates position when the motor operates.  But have been unable to move that arm.  I also see a green wire, with it's own wire cover, that does seem to bolt to the chassis, so this must be ground.  Could that wire at ground be the problem even though the lamp under the steps works right?  I guess if the lamp is grounded itself, it may not use that wire.

Yes it could be the problem. Try taking the wire loose and cleaning all surfaces.

My guess is the light is grounded through the mounting screws.

Bill

The step has a current limiting switch(controller) and when it reaches the current limit it shuts off. If the step is in a bind position the current will reach the limit at will not operate.  Typical problems are dirt/debree in the gear teeth or possibly a broken tooth in the motor. Unfortunately I am not where I can get to the provider that I ordered my step motor from (kwikee step) but the price was less than 75 dollars. Ordering through a dealer would have been over $200.  I have seen them advertised on Amazon.  Just be sure that the motor you need is the left hand motor or the right hand motor. It is how the motor is attached to the gears.  I think they also make motor gear replacments for the step motor but I don't remember the details.

On 10/31/2016 at 5:08 PM, manholt said:

....clean all off step with either soap and water or Simple green and water (you need to do that monthly) and lube all moving parts after each cleaning!...

Carl

Good advice.  If not kept lubricated, they will not move.

Well it was very difficult to remove the ground wire, the bolt wound up breaking.  Preliminarily, it is not a ground problem.  But I have yet to sand the lug as well as the grounding plate and re-attach it.  Tomorrow, hopefully.  Does anyone know where I can get this testing pigtail the manual mentions?  It's starting to look like I'll wind up buying a cheap step I can place there when the motorhome is parked.  Right now a cinder block is serving that purpose.

BTW, I do not seem to be getting Topic Updates, even though my email address is correct and I have that box checked to get the updates.

So no luck with the ground wire.  Sanded the lug and the contact surface, new bolt, nut & washer, still not working.  Guess next I will try to rig up 2 wires to my battery and connect to the connector and see if I can get the motor to respond.  My manual mentions which colors should move the motor in which direction.  Frustrating because I cannot even extend the steps manually to better get at the motor.

You should be able to disconnect the linkage from the motor to allow access to the motor.

Jim

manholt - I did a search and really did not find much more than what is already in this thread. 

abyrd - I will look at unhooking the linkage if the test I plan to try with wires to the battery does not yield anything useful or get it working.  It seems perhaps where the linkage bolts to the bar that it rotates, I might be able to take that off.  I have to look closer at it.

John, 

There is a pin with a cotter pin that needs to be pulled. Once you have removed the pin the step will be released . Once the step is loose I will be willing to bet the motor will operate. I have had this happen twice.  Had to replace the motor and drive both times. PPL $221.00 approximately. 

Herman 

So I finally had a chance to work on this again.  I got the steps free.  It was not a cotter pin, but a pin with a "C" clip on one end.  Clip came off easy enough, had to hammer the pin out.  Now steps are free to move.  Still no action from the motor.  I get just a small amount of movement on the arm that attached to the steps.  I guess next I will have connect wires to the battery to test the motor.  Also the arm is in 2 parts, one connected right to the gear box, then another on a rounded joint.  That moves quite a bit, not only turn but can move some vertically.  Not sure if this is normal.

If it is the motor and you order one make sure it is the same as yours regarding "left"/"right" hand.  A picture is worth a thousand words.  Amazon has Kwikee motors. Saw one there the other day searching around for $82.  I'll be home tomorrow and if you remind me I can give you the information on where I purchased my motor.

Even better if you have the serial number off yours...can be hard to read, if it is, spray some graphite on the numbers and lay a piece of white paper over it and rub...number transfer... Wayne knows that, just forgetful at times!  :P:rolleyes: 

1 hour ago, Wayne77590 said:

If it is the motor and you order one make sure it is the same as yours regarding "left"/"right" hand.  A picture is worth a thousand words.  Amazon has Kwikee motors. Saw one there the other day searching around for $82.  I'll be home tomorrow and if you remind me I can give you the information on where I purchased my motor.

The last time I replaced a motor I went  to Auto Zone and looked at the pictures of door window motors.  It turned out to be a Ford LTD drivers side 1989.  It cost $43 last summer.

I love KISS!  :lol: Like trouble shooting, it seems that most times, the answer to the problem is the last item on the list...good place to start.

Carl

Yeah!  Finally got it working.  Besides all the help here I found a video on You Tube where the guy talks about the connector where the power plugs into the motor.  This is a 2 pin connector, right on the motor.  I also watched a manufacturer's video on testing.  I disconnected this connector and hooked the motor direct to 12 vdc.  Got it to work in both directions. Then I took his advice about putting a slight twist on these prongs.  Reconnected everything and it all seems to work right now.  I have to replace the pin and lube all the joints, but it looks like this is resolved. 

Thanks again for all the help.  I have included the links to the 2 videos I mentioned below, in case others come along and need this help.

How to fix plug right at motor

Kwikee Electric Steps Diagnostics