QuiGonJohn

Kwikkee Steps Not Working

Do you happen to remember, or have paperwork with Auto Zone's part number, then I could directly match it.  All I know is I held mine up against the closest LTD one I could find, and the mounting holes did not line up.

I do not have the paper work because it was for my friend while I was visiting him in Ct.  This was 2 years ago.  The one you looked up may have been for a right hand door.  The one we got was for the drivers door, pretty sure of the year 89 but they may not have made the LTD that year so see if another model of full size has the right picture.  I know is was a Ford product. I had no idea of what make and model it was when we walked in the door so we had to look through a lot of pictures on the computer.

Wayne, yes, in fact I downloaded and saved the guide.  Right now it looks like I'll either order from there or American RV (I think that comes just a little cheaper).  I plan to order tonight or tomorrow at the latest.

I own a 2008 Mandalay with Kwikee  Electric steps, my problem the steps will not retract , I have cleaned door contacts, I assume there is power to the step motor as indicated by orange light is on at step button. Has any experienced this problem?

Light doesn't necessarily mean power to the step motor.  If you try to retract it and give it a little push assist, will it work then.

Read this entire thread to get some ideas of what others have run into.  

Check all wires including the magnetic switch by the door, motor and other connectors.  Check underneath and look at the gears for missing or chipped teeth. Look for road debris around the gear mechanisms. Lubricate all pivot points and the gears.  

Others will be around for more advice.

So I finally got my steps working.  I had ordered the motor from American RV, but had a battle with broken bolts.  Had to unbolt the entire step assembly from the coach.  Then remove the motor and gear linkage.  Open the gear linkage to set the main gear to use the "other 180", put that back together after repairing the broken motor bolt (wound up welding a stud into the hole).  Put it all together and back on the coach.  Steps work nice now.  But now the light does not work.  Any guidance on "changing the bulb" or other reason the light may not be working.  Man these steps have sure been a hassle.  Worst case, we can live without the light.

I forgot what brand coach you have.  On mine, the second inside step has 2 screws holding top in place, remove that and you will find an inline fuse to step. You might also have a stab in fuse, where all other 12Volt fuses are at.

Coach is a Winnebago Aspect 26A (2006).  Are you saying a fuse for the step light?  My first thought was to connect 12v direct to the one wire going to the light and see if the light illuminates.  (I gather it only has 1 wire and uses physical ground to complete the circuit.)  Perhaps with the grinding we had to do to remove the gear assembly from the step, either the bulb or fuse broke. 

If the bulb or fuse broke all you have to do is put the smoke back in and it will work.

Or, take the bulb out and look at the filaments. If you see one broken or dangling get a new bulb before you start other trouble shooting.

Checked for fuses, breakers etc. no issues there.

Pulled the cover off the step light, then unscrewed step light from coach.  Tested with 12v.  Bulb is good (12v direct to each side of bulb).  But when I connect 12v to the light assembly wire and touch to ground on the light assembly it will not light, (it did light one time for a brief second, but mostly no go).  I figure either the wire has a break internally or the socket is messed up (as in the hot wire not connecting into it good or it's internal ground to the assmebly is no longer a good ground).  So it looks like I need to order a replacement step light assembly.  Does that sound right?  Any other suggestions?

I also just tried baring the wire very close to the part the bulb connects to, then touching that spot and the ground plate on the bulb assembly to 12v, no light.  Same pair of 12v wires I used when connected direct to the bulb I do get light.  So it really looks like it is a problem in the socket the bulb plugs into.

Got the replacement step light a couple weeks ago and finally got around to installing it, (delays due to Hurricane Irma, etc.).  Works great, so it was just the unit went bad, I gather a break internal to one of the leads, or corrosion, whatever.

One other update on my steps.  A couple months ago, just before Thanksgiving, I mounted a mud flap to the rear end of a compartment that sits just in front of my steps.  I figure this will help to keep the steps (motor, linkage, etc.) from getting quite as cruddy from driving.  When the steps are retracted, this mud flap hangs just as low as the bottom of the whole step assembly, and as wide, from the edge of the coach and inward, as the step assembly itself is.