cmipilot@dghyde.com

Water Leaks Everywhere

After having spent a LOT of money for a brand new, 2008 3 slide Coachmen Concorde Class B+, we immedately began to have issues with water leaks. The first one was a screw (during assembly) having punctured a plastic water line near the water pump. Apparently, the dealers don't fill the water and turn on the pumps to check for leaks before delivery. That problem solved, we now have begun to see leaks all through the coach. I have done my best to narrow down the problem and my opinion is that the type of clamps used by the manufacturers of these units may be inexpensive for them, but the result for the unsuspecting owner is that leaks are almost inevitable.

The clamp is a one-time-use, metal, squeezed-into-place type which has no adjustment and to be removed has to literally be cut off with a dremel grinder. There must be a hundred of them on the coach and now the manifold behind the "water panel" on the outside of the coach where all the water connections are, seems to be leaking at 3 or 4 connections and soaking the carpet and wood under the bed.

Does anyone have any suggestions for solving this problem other than cutting off and replacing every clamp? I've seen a spray material advertised that is supposed to fix leaks. Anyone have experience with that?

After having spent a LOT of money for a brand new, 2008 3 slide Coachmen Concorde Class B+, we immediately began to have issues with water leaks. The first one was a screw (during assembly) having punctured a plastic water line near the water pump. Apparently, the dealers don't fill the water and turn on the pumps to check for leaks before delivery. That problem solved, we now have begun to see leaks all through the coach. I have done my best to narrow down the problem and my opinion is that the type of clamps used by the manufacturers of these units may be inexpensive for them, but the result for the unsuspecting owner is that leaks are almost inevitable.

The clamp is a one-time-use, metal, squeezed-into-place type which has no adjustment and to be removed has to literally be cut off with a dremel grinder. There must be a hundred of them on the coach and now the manifold behind the "water panel" on the outside of the coach where all the water connections are, seems to be leaking at 3 or 4 connections and soaking the carpet and wood under the bed.

Does anyone have any suggestions for solving this problem other than cutting off and replacing every clamp? I've seen a spray material advertised that is supposed to fix leaks. Anyone have experience with that?

First question: Does it leak when on pump pressure or only on shore water connection pressure? If only on shore water connection, do you have a pressure reducer between faucet and coach?

Brett Wolfe

First question: Does it leak when on pump pressure or only on shore water connection pressure? If only on shore water connection, do you have a pressure reducer between faucet and coach?

Brett Wolfe

Thanks for the reply...leaks on both pump and shore, and yes, I do have a pressure reducer between faucet and water filter, and then supply hose to outside water connection bay.

It appears the RV Dealer failed to inspect the water system prior to or at time of sale

which most likely they documented doing so and provided you a copy.

I would put it back in the hands of the dealer if he is still in business ASAP for 100%

inspection of testing of the system under pump and shore water keeping in mind other

options. Have you contacted Coachmendirect?

We have an '04 motor home with what sound like the same kind of clamps. They are a pain to remove, I've done it with a hack saw (very carefully). We've not had any leaks which suggests that the clamping device may have been worn or improperly set when your unit was built. You didn't say when you purchased your Concorde. If it was purchased recently, I would contact Coachmen and see what they offer as a solution. They may have a number of these with the same problem and may be amenable to correcting the problem at their expense. A good manufacturer would do something to satisfy the customer.

If you are well beyond the warranty period you may have to rely on the good will of Coachmen or fix it at your expense. Fixing it quickly should be a priority as water damage can multiply the damage significantly. If you get a mold problem it could become quite expensive.

We have an '04 motor home with what sound like the same kind of clamps. They are a pain to remove, I've done it with a hack saw (very carefully). We've not had any leaks which suggests that the clamping device may have been worn or improperly set when your unit was built. You didn't say when you purchased your Concorde. If it was purchased recently, I would contact Coachmen and see what they offer as a solution. They may have a number of these with the same problem and may be amenable to correcting the problem at their expense. A good manufacturer would do something to satisfy the customer.

If you are well beyond the warranty period you may have to rely on the good will of Coachmen or fix it at your expense. Fixing it quickly should be a priority as water damage can multiply the damage significantly. If you get a mold problem it could become quite expensive.

Purchase was in July of 08 so warranty is gone. Dealer fixed the first couple of leaks but as luck would have it, the majority showed up in the months after the warranty expired. Coachmen is now gone, bought out by Forest River and so any after-care is iffy at best. I'm still looking for a viable clamp alternative (don't think the standard screw type hose clamp is the answer) and possibly a tubing type alternative as well. What I have now is the semi ridgid type which is nearly impossible to work with if temperature is below about 65 degrees. Thanks for the suggestions. I'm concerned about the mold as well.

Ouch! Sounds like you are pretty much on your own on this one. I don't keep track of who has gone under in the RV industry. I would recommend that you find a reputable shop to tackle this one and the sooner the less it is going to cost you. As I mentioned, the complications of this could really get costly. If you want to do the work yourself, you could take it to a repair shop and have them look at the problem and give you some suggestions on how best to fix it. If you give us a location where you would want service, perhaps someone will be able to make a recommendation.

I had six leaks in my 2002 Diplomat which I solved by replacing all fitting with copper fittings. No water leaks since although I have a continuing problem with the compression fitting just under the sink.

2002 Dip

This is PEX plumbing.

There are 2 types of crimp rings, Stainless Steel with a bump on the band or a smooth copper ring. My coachman Freelander 2600SO has the Stainless Steel crimp rings.

You can get crimp tools at Lowes or Home Depot or ebay. They are pricey ~ $75 or $100. There are also special tools to remove the clamp.

This is the same system used in most houses today so a local plumber could re-crimp the connections.

This company carries both types of crimps and lots of fittings. http://store.flairit.com/c-5-plumbing.aspx

If installed correctly PEX is a good system. It sounds like the factory crimp tool was out of spec and did not crimp the SS rings correctly.

Ed

You wouldn't have had much luck with Coachmen even before they went under. Our friends bought a new Coachmen and had an ongoing problem with the fiberglass cracking by the "bug eye" side mirrors. Coachmen told them that once the one year warranty was over they wouldn't do any more repairs to it, even though it was still cracking. Needless to say we both warned people away from Coachmen. And then they wonder why they go bankrupt. It might be called customer service. I have a Damon Tuscany and we are headed to the factory with a 2 year old unit and they are repairing everything at no cost even though the warranty is over a year past the expiration date. This is our second Damon and that is why we bought another one.

OK, let me throw this out there. We recently purchased a 2000 Beaver Patrioit, 33'. The coach has been sitting inactive for well over a year so we knew we would have some problems. We have worked through most of these and are planning a short trip for further bonding. I cleaned the fresh water tank, 100 gal with Clorox. Drained and refilled. While loading coach yesterday discovered water leak. Saw it dripping and carpeted floor of storage compartment soaked. Removed water and located leak. Coming from fresh water tank, looks like fitting going into tank. It is a plastic or teflon fitting with a flange butting up against the water tank. Its leaking at the flange, probably a pinhole. Drained the tank. Bought some sealant at marine store that is supposed to work well. Now awaiting tank to stop dripping and dry out so that i can apply it. The fitting needs to be replaced but we are making this trip and haven't the time to search for the part. We will probably have to get this from Monoco. In the meantime temporarily fix I hope. I am thinking the weight and psi of 100 gal of water were too much and leak developed. Anybody experience same problem?? Input appreciated.

I'm not familiar with the 2000 Beaver and the water tank system. A flanged fitting sounds like there might be a nut on the other side. Likely a soft seal of some kind that has dried out and hardened during a long period of storage. Replacing the seal and/or tightening the nut may solve the problem. Fortunately, Monaco was purchased out of bankruptcy by Navistar and now operates as Monaco RV, LLC. The parts department is up and operating so you can get parts for older coaches if needed. I recently purchased some parts with a phone call. The number is 877-466-6226. They are on the west coast so call after 8:00 PDT.