Sign in to follow this  
mikecoke

Toad vs. Gravel Dump Truck

On our way South for the Winter traveling down Interstate 5 just north of Sacramento. Traffic came to a sudden stop and, after we had stopped, we felt a big wham. I said S*** there goes the VW.

We were towing a restored 1972 VW Beetle. A fully loaded transfer dump truck with trailer could not stop and plowed into our '72 Beetle, "Barney." Barney was totaled and the good thing is that the Swagman bike rack that mounts to the hitch bar stopped Barney from hitting the back of the motorhome. Both bikes were damaged, the hitch was bent, the ball mount bar was bent under 180 degrees and, to top it off, the Swagman bike rack came out undamaged.

PB170035.JPG

More Pic can be seen at Barney's web page below

Barney's Web Page

Mike

Mike, Wendy & Gordon our Yellow Lab

The CokeCachers

2004 Winnebago Sightseer 27C - Toad 1973 VW Beetle

Retired National Park Ranger

Boondocking with Solar Panels, Inverter & Generator

Motosat F1 D2 Internet Satellite System

Click to see where we are >> http://map.datastormusers.com/user2.cfm?user=2276

Shame. Glad you were not hurt, it could have done a lot more damage if it hit the rig. As for the VW bug, they never really die. If you don't have it restored I would bet that every piece will go to maintaining or restoring another bug.

Mike, Wendy and Gordon,

So glad you weren't hurt in this accident. Sorry about Barney. He took quite a punch in the nose not to mention his behind. Hard to believe it didn't damage your motor home. Hope you have better luck with your next toad.

We've driven that stretch of I-5 many times and have encountered the stop and go traffic in and around Sacramento. We do our best to stay out of it but sometimes there is just no escaping the traffic tie ups.

My biggest fear ... Glad you weren't hurt and the RV came through it undamaged. Hopefully you can replace Barney. Those Vee Dubs are getting harder to find.

Ouch, that must have hurt, and it looks like it left a mark. My condolences for Barney. Good thing the dump truck wasn't going much faster or it could have really been a mess. One piece of advise, have the frame on your MH check for bending or buckeling, seeing as how the tow hook up was bent. Those things take a lot to bend.