speck

Finally...After A Long Wait, It's Mine & Home!

Well, first thanks to all on the forums for all the questions you have answered. 

In August I went to CA to look at, and ended up purchasing a 1999 Tiffin Allegro BUS.  I had some custom work done on it (fireplace w/retractable TV) and flew out on Thursday to pick it up.  What a thrill...driving in LA traffic at 3:00pm...white knuckles subsided by 10:00pm in Barstow CA.  Arrived in Colorado Springs this afternoon... 

Was really anxious about the trip, having never had or driven a Diesel, and probably reading too many posts of people having problems.  Only issues not caused by me were a loose battery connection which caused the Check Engine light to come on around Kingman Az.  My engine monitor told me it had lost battery power while the key was on and to shut it down for about 5 sec.  Did that and it was good again. 

Other problem was at about 3:30 this morning just after I left Gallup NM and stopped and adjusted the mirrors from the outside... you guessed it, slammed the door.. darn forgot to unlock it when I did and now was locked out... screwdriver from a nearby hotel desk and a little work and I got a door open. 

Fun experiences (well I can smile about them now) and really looking forward to get some trips planned.  Just short ones to start, but delayed retirement is only 2 yr. away unless I am having too much fun.

Again thanks to all.

Speck

6890572_5.jpg

I always carry a complete set of keys in my jeans watch pocket . Better than a screw driver and no scratches. Hope you made a good choice. Older RVs like ours and yours need a good home. 

Better is to hide a set in a compartment you don't need a key to git in. I have used the propane fill door and the outside refrigerator access panel or the hot water heater panel.

Bill

Campcop: Yes it is very clean, both inside and out.  Only had 28.6K on it, turned over to 30K on the way home.

obedb:  Ironically, the first and second day of driving that is exactly where I kept them.  Then this morning when I started it up I tossed the second set on the dash.

Wildebill308: When I went to look at it in Aug, I checked the tires...they were originals.  The dealer put a new set of 6 on as part of the deal.  Yep, it didn't take me long to find a hiding spot for the second set of keys.

I keep a set of MH keys in the toad and a set in a magnet container on the chassis  I also keep a set of toad keys in the MH.

As for "probably reading too many posts of people having problems" don't let that bother you.  One of the purposes of the forum is to help each other with problems.  We don't make posts that say, "just made a 3,000 mile trip and everything worked perfectly."  We make posts when something is broken or we have a problem and need some assistance.

9 hours ago, Speck said:

Campcop: Yes it is very clean, both inside and out.  Only had 28.6K on it, turned over to 30K on the way home.

obedb:  Ironically, the first and second day of driving that is exactly where I kept them.  Then this morning when I started it up I tossed the second set on the dash.

Wildebill308: When I went to look at it in Aug, I checked the tires...they were originals.  The dealer put a new set of 6 on as part of the deal.  Yep, it didn't take me long to find a hiding spot for the second set of keys.

Good deal, I have had dealers try to tell me don't worry about the date they have lots of tread. And as Five posted you hear from people that have problems not happy travelers.

Just to put it in perspective, according to RVIA "The research, conducted by Dr. Richard Curtin, RV industry analyst and director of consumer surveys at the University of Michigan, reveals the number of RV-owning households has grown to a new peak of 8.9 million households, up from 7.9 million in 2005. According to the report, 8.5% of U.S. households now own RVs, up from 8.0% in 2005."

So there are lots of people traveling that don't have problems. BUT, that's the big but, I do recommend you get the FMCA Roadside Assistance Program for the time you do need some help on the road.

Bill

I use a realtor lock box for RV door access keys. DW doesn't like to carry heavy objects in her purse so many a time she puts here set in the glove box of the TOAD.  The TOAD has key-less entry and we can get in anytime for the keys from the door panel entry buttons.

I do the same as FIVE...I also have the outside keys duplicated...most important ones are Fuel, Water and Front door! 

Go enjoy our beautiful country!

Carl

Nice coach!  I've had mine self lock twice now for some reason.  So far I've had the second set with me, but there will come a day.............

I have to reply with a story. 

Many years ago in times of ole, I was working in a garage doing inspections. I had a 1963 Chevrolet with a parking light out. When I removed the lens (yes back then you could just replace the bulb) to change the bulbs I found a key.

So being the inquisitive young man I was, I removed the other lens I found a 1 dollar bill. When I asked the customer about it, he said if locked out or low on gas, he was covered. Yes back then a buck would get you 5 gallons of gas.

Herman 

47 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

I have to reply with a story. 

Many years ago in times of ole, I was working in a garage doing inspections. I had a 1963 Chevrolet with a parking light out. When I removed the lens (yes back then you could just replace the bulb) to change the bulbs I found a key.

So being the inquisitive young man I was, I removed the other lens I found a 1 dollar bill. When I asked the customer about it, he said if locked out or low on gas, he was covered. Yes back then a buck would get you 5 gallons of gas.

Herman 

That was back when Noah was still working on his boat.:P

Bill