CarlAda

Backing Up The Coach With The Toad Attached

Just sitting here at Seven Feathers RV Park, browsing forums, and watched a Marathon bus pulling a Jeep come into the park.  As he turned into his site, he must have realized he turned too quickly and the rear wheels and toad would be cutting across the left edge of the site.  Next thing I see is his unit backing up, toad and all!  He only backed up 5-10 feet or so before getting out, surveying the situation, moving a picnic bench, then pulling in to his space.  Not sure what kind of tow bar he's using.  Seemed to pull the car forward alright for the short period and he has yet to unhook it.  Hopefully no damage to his bar!

On another note, that coach is gorgeous!

I would not attempt to back up (with the toad) in the middle of any turn.  Too much of a chance of bending the tow bars.  Two weeks ago we were exiting a CG and could not quite make the turn off our lane...the RF mirror would have hit a road sign, the MH it's self was clear.  I started the toad and put it in R, foot on the brake and moved an inch or so.  That little bit reduction in pressure let me get the toad loose from the MH...with a little help from a hammer on the locking pins.

I did learn, one thing.  This coach advertises a 60 degree turn.  I don't know if that is true or not, but the coach will turn sharper than the toad can turn without hitting it's tow bars.

This summer I watched a guy at the Downtown Riverside RV Park in North Little Rock, it has a big circular drive but he missed his spot and started to back up. Several people started to holler at him to stop. He backed up about 15 ft. Later he was trying to get his car unhooked. He had jammed the arm locks so bad they couldn't get it to release. I had to get my medium hammer (80oz) and go tap on the levers and finally got it to release. I felt bad for the guy he was on his first trip ever with a motor home and the dealer had hooked up the car and he had never unhooked it before. I did notice the towbar was upside down, helped him turn it over as he was totally wiped out by all of it.

Bill   

More likely to damage the car than the tow bar as the wheels will turn in the opposite direction of the intended turn damaging the front end steering system. 

I have backed ours up a few times, lucky I was straight and only had to back up 5 feet or so. I was looking in the camera for the toad wheels to begin to turn, then I would have stopped and unhooked, they stayed straight the entire time.

I read a post one time where a guy ran out of fuel two businesses down from a fuel station in a 45' coach and he was pulling an F-150, he put the truck in low range and pushed the coach into the fuel station via the tow bar. I cringed as I read it :blink:

Back in the 70's I had a Toyota station wagon that I towed flat.  I had built the tow bar and to test it I towed it behind my pickup truck.  I was surprised that I could back it up and the front tires tracked ok in reverse.  I was in a parking lot and was doing s turns going backwards.  My Silverado that I now tow will only back up straight.

Have not tried this but/ locking the steering on toad for backing a short distance. Often wondered. We have the NSA tow bar. Looks heavily built to me.

Yes you may be able to back up a short distance but the question is what damage are you doing that you can't see. The towbars are designed to handle the load and stress in one direction. The guy I helped in my post, he only backed up a few feet. His towbar was seriously jammed up. You have to wonder how much damage did it do the the locks on the legs.

Bill

So no one really knows for sure? Bill, you are an expert on most things. I know that. Take a look at an NSA tow bar. Rated at 7500 lbs. I am guessing that if I over ran a turn by a little, I might be able to back up a bit with the toad steering locked, Don't know because I have not had to do so. Some of the parks  I was in this past summer were puzzling. I carry the Blue OX bar that came with the coach as a spare or a loaner for some one in trouble. 

Bill good point, but think about the person that has no toad brakes, now the bar is taking similar stress everytime you stop.

18 minutes ago, obedb said:

So no one really knows for sure? Bill, you are an expert on most things. I know that. Take a look at an NSA tow bar. Rated at 7500 lbs. I am guessing that if I over ran a turn by a little, I might be able to back up a bit with the toad steering locked, Don't know because I have not had to do so. Some of the parks  I was in this past summer were puzzling. I carry the Blue OX bar that came with the coach as a spare or a loaner for some one in trouble. 

There is probably a reason all the manufactuers say not to back up. I wish I had one to cut open and see if there was damage. More fun would be to do a "anuel" X ray and look for damage and how it progresses. Makes me wish I still had access to a x ray booth.

Bill

Our NSA tow bar has a capacity of 7500 pounds. Our toad weighs 3400 pounds. Had a case Labor Day weekend in Bath NY where I wished that I could backup. The turn was marked on the park map but you could not read it until after passing the turn point. Never thought about unhooking the Subaru because our site was a pull thru. The park was alive with traffic piling in for the weekend. Big family resort. For me to stop, unhook, park the Subie in the grass, and walk back later would have caused a traffic jam. Would have been a job getting into our site even without our toad. Because of the angles. Had to pull out of the park, turn around, and then come back in. I am good at following directions, but not when you can't read the sign until after it is passed.

I have NSA tow setup. Missed a turn leaving rest stop on Florida Turnpike.  Toad was straight behind MH and was able to back about 8' to make turn.

2nd time I tried at a truck stop fuel lane  - toad began to jack knife immediately so I stopped.

No ill effects to tow bar, but sure is difficult to keep toad straight.

Don't recommend it.

If your DW is in toad steering, it's then a lot easier, trick we learned in the 80's, backing out of Canada to USA side, after refusing to pay $1,800+ in liquor tax that included cooking sherry!  about 100yds.

Carl