patriot44

Any Full-time Families With Kids?

My wife and I are seriously considering full-time or at very least part time.  We recently got back from a five week, 5,000 mile trip with our sons and loved it.  We feel like that was a pretty good test, but are still wondering what things we have not considered moving into a full-time or long-term part time (6mo-2yrs at a time) RVing lifestyle.  

Our sons are 2 & 4 yo,  obviously school concerns, but we planned on homeschooling anyway.  My grandfather took my brothers and I all over the country growing up and we feel like would like to pass it on to our children.  Showing them the country rather than just reading about it.  

Thanks for any input! 

I find it's hard to find young families to connect with!  We're planning on part-timing,  it we haven't found any other young families in our area.

patriot44 and jenmacias,

I applaud you both. Your children would learn so much from the adventure seeing this wonderful country.

My only concern is for the children's social life. I have a niece that home schooled all 4 of her children but they lived in one place the entire time. The younger of the two, boys decided that they wanted to play sports and she oped to send them to public school when they reached the 6th and 7th grades. 

If you are able to say travel all summer in the North and maybe meet families from all corners of the country then put them in school in the south during the winter they would have the best of both worlds. Friend all over the country and friends at home.

Remember by being members of FMCA your children have over 75,000 Grand Parents.:)

Just my thoughts 

Good Luck

Herman

In the few years (25+) that I have been RV'ing, I have met three famlies that were full time, 1 with very small pre school age, one with a 10 and 12 YO at the time, the third with pre colledge teen agers, not the same couples. Every case they either planned to or they did home school their children, all of those children were some of the best mannered that I have ever met. Some of the worst mannered children, and I have seen an awful lot of them, were the by-product of public schooling, just out for the summer. Not saying that all of PS children are, just a very large percentage of them, compared to the first mentioned group. I personally despise having to dodge the young bicycler that aims directly at me, and I have done absolutely nothing to them.:wub:

I honestly enjoy homeschooling our 6 yo.  I honestly think that being out of PS system has not done her any harm.  She loves traveling in our RV to see family and explore new things.  I feel like it’s giving her more interest in science than other kids her age.  I wished all FMCA members wanted to be grandparents ;-). But I worry about intruding on their much earned peaceful retirement, so we havent joined a local chapter yet.  Although we might have found a local group that won't mind some youngsters.

Herman.  I thought you was a new Great Grand Parent? :D

He's right, just because your over 65 and retired, don't mean you don't want kids around, just nice to know you can send them home!  One thing we have plenty off is knowledge and we like to share!!!:wub:

Hi there - 

Though late to this thread.. no its not hard to Full Time with kids.. there is an entire community that does it. Though in the Class A and other motorhome there maybe less.. there is definantly many that choose this lifestyle.. We have RV for many years with our kids and now do it full time in a motorhome.. So be encourage that it can be done..