Sign in to follow this  
krischampy

Converter Issue

I had a new converter put in in April.  In October I traveled 1000 miles and when I arrived at my destination I started having problems with it not charging the house batteries.  We found if we plug into another outlet it works fine.  We have removed the outlet and it seems fine but it will not work when plugged into that outlet even though the outlet is reading the correct voltage. Any ideas?

krischampy,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

With 120 VAC confirmed to the outlet and the converter working when plugged into another source, the first thing I would do is replace the outlet. It may be just corroded enough or loose enough that your converter plug is not making good contact.  An inexpensive place to start.

Could also be a bad connection upstream from that outlet.  Is the outlet that is not working a dedicated outlet for the converter only or is it part of a chain on outlets?  If it is dedicated I would plug something else into that outlet (drill, toaster, etc.) and see if it works.  If it doesn't measure the voltage at the outlet when something is plugged in - I would venture a guess it is not 120 volts.  A bad connection anywhere back to the panel (or  even pedestal) can cause this problem.

You didn't say what kind of rig you have.  Is it 30 amp or 50 amp?  If it is 50 amp when you plugged into a different outlet you may have been on the "other" 120 volt leg (you may have a bad leg at the pedestal).

Good luck,

Lenp

Sounds like you connected to a defective pedestal. Also, you might want to check the continuity of all the circuits of the shore power cable end to end, even wiggling the connectors while making the test.

What model converter do you have? Make and model. 

Link to a owners manual, does it look like how you electrical setup is on page 29.

http://www.forestriverinc.com/Images/ForestRiverOwnersManual-Motorized.pdf

Link to an aftermarket inverter installed in a Georgetown.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/forums/f16/georgetown-inverter-install-91636.html

Georgetown Electrical drawing.

file:///C:/Users/Data%20Base/Desktop/Georgetown%20Battery%20Connect%20Center%20113174%201%20OF%201[1].pdf

Battery Control center information.

file:///C:/Users/Data%20Base/Downloads/Battery%20Control%20Center.pdf

file:///C:/Users/Data%20Base/Downloads/rv%20custom%20products%20%20SD1070001[1].pdf

Rich.

Agree, pedestals/shore power can be defective.

But, it would affect far more 120 VAC-powered items than just a converter. Is this the ONLY circuit that is not operating properly?

They just redid the pedestal before I arrived, it is my winter workamping job so they were making sure all was good.  Everything else is working just fine...when the folks next to me return from their vacation...he is going to try replacing the outlet...I will just run it on an extension cord for now

Again:

Agree, pedestals/shore power can be defective.

But, it would affect far more 120 VAC-powered items than just a converter. Is this the ONLY circuit that is not operating properly?

4 hours ago, krischampy said:

They just redid the pedestal before I arrived, it is my winter workamping job so they were making sure all was good.  Everything else is working just fine...when the folks next to me return from their vacation...he is going to try replacing the outlet...I will just run it on an extension cord for now

Are you running only the inverter / charger from the extension cord? or using the 50 amp shore power cable.

Like Kay mentioned if everything is working from the other site, then it is not the coach or primary cable, but something at your site shore power pedestal/supply.

Rich. 

The only thing not working is one outlet everything else is working fine, the outlets are all on the same breaker in the coach.   The coach is plugged into the 50 amp service and works fine..it is just the outlet in the bay that the converter is plugged into.

Thanks for the update.  Sounds like we may be back to "start by replacing that one outlet".

But, are you sure that the converter is on the same breaker/circuit as all the other outlets??? Most coaches have a separate breaker/wiring for the converter.

41 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Thanks for the update.  Sounds like we may be back to "start by replacing that one outlet".

But, are you sure that the converter is on the same breaker/circuit as all the other outlets??? Most coaches have a separate breaker/wiring for the converter.

The other possibility is that one GFI located in a closet somewhere.

Rich. 

Check the wiring at the culprit outlet. It is possible that one leg of the wire came off the screw.  After all, we are a rolling earthquake going down the highway. Or the wire could have broken, blah, blah - I'd start by checking that outlet wiring by taking the outlet plate off and eyeballing it.  It could be the other end of that wire also.

Just thinking out loud.

What happens when you plug a two pronged lamp into the outlet? Have you checked for reversed polarity? If you don't have a polarity tester, use the VOM tester, the narrow spade to the round ground should read 120 volts, the wide spade to the round ground should read no AC voltage, be sure the tester is set to read AC. If not in this order then polarity is reversed, many UPS's and other charging circuits are not friendly to this condition, also they do not like a circuit that the earth ground has been omitted, the test specified will verify if this is a condition. The op states that 120 volts present at the outlet, but this does not verify that there is not a loose connection, or a reverse connection, or if earth ground is present. The lamp test is to verify that there is not a breakdown in the outlet itself, sometimes voltage will appear as long as there is no load, but will break down when current is called for, "resistive load". I should have clarified, I'm speaking at the receptacle level, not the coach level.

Since this is 50 amp (at least, that is what we can ASSUME, as the OP said they have a 50 amp coach) reverse polarity is all but impossible.

Yes, if plugged into a 30 amp outlet with adapter, reverse polarity could be a lot more likely issue.  Said another way, reversing ONE hot and one neutral can happen.  Reversing TWO hots and a neutral-- can't see that happening.

Rich.  Good thought about GFI...thankfully mine are visible, 2 in kitchen one in bathroom.

Brett. Point taken!

Wayne.  I would be looking at the receptacle.  Everything else, besides a GFI has been covered...

Carl

Typically there is a series run of outlets to each GFCI. If the polarity is reversed the GFCI will trip.  In a GFCI circuit the Hot has to go to the hot lug of each receptacle in series.  Looking at the recepticle there are two upright slots and a round slot, round being ground.  The larger of the vertical slots is the "neutral" line and the other is the "hot" line.  The electricity flows from "hot" to "neutral." If there is any imbalance of the flow the GFCI will trip. It doesn't take much to trip a GFCI.

If plugging into the GFCI receptacle provides voltage then the circuit is complete then I would think that there is a possible exception of an open circuit in the series.

I'm not an electrician so whatever I say may be refuted.

Don't know why I didn't notice this before, but found another GFCI today.  It's right next to where the power cord plugs in to coach...it was tripped, pushed it in and now I have no blinking lights in coach again! 

My 50A cord comes out and retracts by an electric motor into and from a bucket, the other end is permanently plugged into the surge protector...makes it easy to replace cord, I have a new 50 foot, 50A in La., that I will put in before AZ. in Feb.  The current cord is 30 foot...bucket is half full.

Carl 

13 hours ago, hermanmullins said:

Carl,

Could you take a picture of the GFCI and where you found it. It may help some folks, me included in the future.

Thanks,

Herman

Both of our American Coaches are probably like Carl's.  The plug is in the electrical compartment with the power cord...last basement compartment, street side.  It is there so the engine pre heat can be plugged in.  In both my ACs, you had to plug in the pre heat, then turn on the switch to active the plug.  The switch was in the back of the inside of the coach.

FIVE.  I have no plug back there with the GFCI, other than the 50A...mine has two switches, one in closet and one on my Magnum control panel (Aqua hot diesel, Aqua hot electric and pre heat)...I have used it once.

Herman, I'll send you a photo.  Since I'm taking photos of the other side also, I blew a HP hose for my Jacks Wed. and have to replace it today!  My next coach will be air level only, that's all I use anyway...used the jacks twice in 3 years! :angry:

Carl