blakeloke

A Step By Step Pictorial Of Our New Flooring

Tomorrow I drive the coach up to Ernie for a much anticipated flooring change.  Carpet was getting a bit worn and we had a few broken tiles.  So, Deb and I have been demolishing the old carpet and tile (not an easy job) and can't wait to see the magic that Ernie does.  At the same time, Victor will be recovering the sofa and captains chairs.

Here's some pics....

And will post more of the "after" in a couple of weeks,

Blake

20161108_190855.jpg

20161113_170322.jpg

20161113_170407.jpg

Wow!  Great work.  We just had Ernie replace our carpet with new carpet and we are in TN today with lows in the 20's.  Glad we did not go with wood as standing on our tile floors will give you severe brain freeze (of the feet)!

The whole coach stays warmer with carpet but most folks don't travel to the cold like we do.  If we were "normal" RVers we would have pulled it all out and had Ernie do wood throughout as well.

Be sure to post the "after" pictures.

If going back to ceramic, granite, or wood I would strongly suggest the under floor heater wires, they really do a great job in the winter. I'm sure Ernie has some good suggestions for them. Not only are they good for heating the floor, but help reduce other heat sources from being used as much.

8 hours ago, kaypsmith said:

If going back to ceramic, granite, or wood I would strongly suggest the under floor heater wires, they really do a great job in the winter. I'm sure Ernie has some good suggestions for them. Not only are they good for heating the floor, but help reduce other heat sources from being used as much.

I was going to suggest the same, they are not that expensive either.

Blake, cant wait to see the finished product!

Thanks all........I'm not sure of what Ernie's process is to prep the sub-floor.  But I do know he'll have to level the areas where the OSB came up with the Mastik. 

Bill, think we will go 100% wood and use area rugs to add a "warmer" touch.  Certainly will ask Ernie about heating the floors too.

Will post after pics in a couple of weeks!

Blake

There is a specially made mat that is placed on the floor with the heat elements threaded into that, a thermostat is used to turn it on and off, very low amperage is necessary. I replaced the carpet in my parlor with wood 4 months ago and added the heat there, already have heat strips under granite in galley hallway and bath area. Incidentally, I do not use basement heat any longer because of this.

Oh wow...nice.  I think I've seen that type of mat on DIY channel.  Holmes on Homes.  Will ask Ernie about it.......thanks!

Blake

I called the manufacturer of one of those mats. The rep said the urethane adhesive may have an adverse reaction with the coating of the wires. So, I gave up on heated floors.

May be so, I used a high polymer thinset with the granite, and used locking floating wood floor. Granite has been in place since "13", wood only four months now, floor heat has not been called upon so far this year.

Blake.  Looks like you had fun!  How many Beer stops? :lol:

Looking forward to see the after!  :D Unless I got it wrong, he does not do floating floor or electrical heat under wood...I may well be wrong!  Call him before you get to much input on the brain! :blink::rolleyes:

Carl

Carl, you are correct- no floating or tile or electrical. No sheet vinyl or planks. I'm stuck in a rut with engineered wood adhered to the floor.

10 hours ago, manholt said:

Blake.  Looks like you had fun!  How many Beer stops? :lol:  Hahaha.....many, many beers!  No power tools used so I was safe at the same time.

Looking forward to see the after!  :D Unless I got it wrong, he does not do floating floor or electrical heat under wood...I may well be wrong!  Call him before you get to much input on the brain! :blink::rolleyes:  No worries about too much input and feedback.  I like it and gives me some options.  Will be seeing Ernie in a bit.  I'm in a hotel in Forest  Hill Texas....just need to get breakfast and hookup toad.

Carl

Update:  past two days with Ernie has been great.  He's taught me a lot about how these things are made.  Furniture is out and to the upholstery shop and more demo done.

Blake

20161116_103717_0.jpg

20161116_103734.jpg

Ernie,

Thank for posting the pics.  I couldn't figure out how to pull the pics from your site then repost them here.  Looking good!

Blake

All,

I was just thinking about the water damage and the "soft" floor in the hallway area.  Let me see if I can work through this in case anyone else decides to change out flooring.

1. We had a water leak from the Norcold ice maker line.  Fortunately we were in the coach and caught it rather quickly.  Water pooled up on the tile and carpet area.
  2. Once cleaned up and dried, no evidence of weak spots in the flooring.  I wouldn't expect that in the areas where there was tile.
  3. Monaco built the floor with 1/2" OSB which in retrospect should have been 3/4" marine grade plywood.  I'm also guessing there isn't enough structural support for the 1/2" OSB.
  4. The tile was installed using Mastic.
  5. When I started the demo in the living room, because of the Mastic, I was getting about 1/16" to 1/8" OSB to come up with the tile.  Probably normal.
  6. But in the hallway area, a small section in front of the refrigerator and near the door to the commode room, I got as much as 3/8" OSB in some areas.  Which is 50% of the original material.
  7. Additionally, there is a seam in the OSB where I peeled off the larger chunks of OSB.  But, no support under that seam.  Odd, as that wouldn't happen in a stick and brick house.
  8. Now, off the Weatherford Texas to meet with the Master!
  9. Because we didn't know where structural supports were, Ernie suggested we get a light steel to span the areas where the OSB was thin.  Great idea!  Solution was to get a piece of 4'x8' aluminum diamond plate and turn upside down (diamonds on the bottom).  Much larger piece than was need but better for overall support.
  10. So, Ernie had a friend use his plasma cutter to fit.  Then he used patch to level the OSB, and feather the diamond plate in.
  11. I think this will work great as the 3/8" engineered hardwood will just add more rigidity.

Hopefully Ernie will continue to post more pictures for all to see as I think his work is extremely precise.  The area around cockpit and stairwell looks awesome.  He has installed the flooring underneath the pedestal where the cup holders and A/C controls are.

Questions and comments are welcome!

Happy Thanksgiving from Blake and Deb!!!!

Erniee, Blake...Looking great and I like the light, dark of the wood. :)  I also was surprised, when I saw the OSB and not Marine grade!  Looks like Monaco, like the other cookie cutters, cut cost by going on the cheap! :( 

Monaco knew they was having a financial problem in 2005, by 2006 they was hurting bad and then went belly up around 2007!  :ph34r:

Carl

The OSB is in a large sheet close to 25 feet in length with no seam. When I installed the diamond plate and added the patch to help with the slope, the engineered wood went down without any issues. Everything seems nice and solid.