Carmar122

Fuel Filter

I'll try Chris McCord at Spartan tomorrow. I really find it hard to understand the thought process of not filtering before lift pump. I use to do a lot of drag racing first thing everybody did was put a fram fuel filter right out of tank. It protected fuel pumps needle and seats well everything from contamination. In my opinion if we're going to run one filter give it to me before lift pump. 

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 5:35 PM, Carmar122 said:

Hi all, here's the update as promised. I got coach back from cummins today. Engine surging and bucking under load turned out to be a clogged lift pump. Couldn't believe my eyes algae in pump was black and looked like tar. They also found rocker box was leaking oil. Replaced pump and resealed rocker box and new valve cover gasket. Came to about $2100 but luckily saved 10% with my cummins power club card. Definitely worth the $19.95. So if your ever in need of cummins service in New Hampshire cummins in concord n.h, on integra dr did a good job. They are very close to loudin n.h. We're NASCAR holds two races a year. 

Curious if they broke out the cost of replacing the lift pump and rocker box gasket.  Just curious what the lift pump replacement cost was... 

Hi glen, lift pump was $448.12 and unfortunately labor was not itemized. Labor for diagnostics, repair and road test plus shop supplies was $ 1404.00. These prices are after my Cummins Power Club 10% discount. Hope this helps. Try to keep tank full when storing and now I throw at least two oz of biocide every time I fuel up. 

Carl and Margaret

2004 American tradition 40 w

2013 Honda CR-V 

New Hampshire 

Carl, the Biocide will kill whatever is alive in the tank, you might want a fuel treatment product to keep it from reoccurring, boost your cetane level, lubricate the system and absorb/breakdown the water. I had a similar problem in June of this year. Once I added the biocide and killed the bugs I started adding fuel treatment to help with the poor quality fuel that is around. It made a noticeable difference in the performance of the coach. Bugs are only part of the problem, they feed and grow on the bio product and water suspended in the fuel, take those out of the equation you should be good. I would seek advice from Spartan on an inline filter before the pump also.

Carl, I run Diesel mate, which is hard to find and purchase without buying a case all in one shot. A case will run around $300.00 which lasts me a year or so. Power Service Diesel fuel supplement is another one I have heard good reports on and you can purchase that at almost any auto part store.

Contacted Spartan they referred me to cummins on filtration. Cummins opinion is adding a 10 micron filter would be no problem. However there thought was fuel is constantly returning to tank so it eventually filters all fuel. Ultimately dumping fuel and cleaning tank would be the best answer. I am not going that route though. Biocide and power source diesel kleen and fingers crossed. Oh and always stored with a full tank of fuel. Thanks again Carl. 

2004 American tradition 40 w

2013 Honda CR-V 

Carl, I like the filter before the pump to catch any thing that you might pick up at/ with bad fuel. Ultimately all the fuel will go through the filter cleaning it so I think you are good to go.

Bill