readysetgo

Class A Tire Covers

readysetgo,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

One of the more important attributes of a good tire cover is that it not only keeps UV light off the tire, but also keeps it COOLER. So, if you use "on the tire" covers white tire covers are better for the tire than darker ones.

Just about any RV shop will carry them as do Wallmart. Just make sure you get the size for your tires. My tire covers are for 22" and I picked them up at the RV shop. 

I have the ones where I have to lay down on the ground/driveway and fish a bungee cord around the inboard side of each wheel and then push a plastic ball thru a loop. All this to hold the cover in place. Then repeat the process to take them off.

Save yourself aggravation and time and just go ahead and buy the covers that have a built in spring. You merely spread the spring enough to go over the tire O.D. and then release it when the cover is in place. Reverse the process to remove.

Sorry I can't remember the manufacturer but someone here on the site will undoubtedly know who it is.

I have 2 of the MagneShade tire covers coming for my 315 80R 22.5 tires tomorrow.  Will report back.  I have the Adco Deluxe covers from Camping world on my rear tires (strap with velcro to fasten similar to the ones nitehawk talked about.  They're okay, but get dirty very easily and the strap is a pita.

Magne Shades are top quality.  I had five of their shades on my previous coach and have six tire covers on this one.  You need to check out the link, scroll down to the middle...easy on easy off, and you can still see the center of the wheel:

http://www.magneshade.com/

My tires are smaller but my Classic Accessory brand have elastic on the top part that slips over the top of a tire so it doesn't need any other retainer. Never tested in high wind.

Here is a brand I found. the snap ring sounds like a reasonable idea.

Please use white if going with a vinyl cover that goes over the tire.   I did confirm that the screen mesh covers that hang down flat from the side of the RV are almost as good as white vinyl based on temperature measurements I made at Redmond in 2014.

See my blog post on why you should run white covers.

The Magne Shades are held in place with three bungees that are sewn on.  Also, you tell them the size and number of each tire and they make them for your sized tires...I have two 315s and four 295s.

Just got my MagneShades in yesterday and had a difficult time getting them on due to tight clearances on my front tires.  I understand that they just changed the design for the straps that hold them after June of this year.  As my coach sits now, I believe the leveling has left the front end lower giving me little room to get my hands in the wheel well to get the strap behind the tire.  Am going to have to play around with different ideas getting the straps properly in place before giving any further comments.

29 minutes ago, CarlAda said:

Just got my MagneShades in yesterday and had a difficult time getting them on due to tight clearances on my front tires.  I understand that they just changed the design for the straps that hold them after June of this year.  As my coach sits now, I believe the leveling has left the front end lower giving me little room to get my hands in the wheel well to get the strap behind the tire.  Am going to have to play around with different ideas getting the straps properly in place before giving any further comments.

Based on the the site, some people put the covers on before leveling.  Sometimes I unhook one of the sides, loop the other two over the tire, slide the cover on and rehook the last one.

Yes, not quite as simple as the video on their website implies.  Thanks for the ideas....soon as the winds die down, I'm going to go mess with them a bit.

edit:  Unhooking one of the sides as you suggested worked much better.  Thanks!

It's a 45T, so yes we have a tag.  I don't know the date when it started, but somewhere around 2010 they started putting tags on all the Eagles.

On 11/17/2016 at 0:48 PM, nitehawk said:

I have the ones where I have to lay down on the ground/driveway and fish a bungee cord around the inboard side of each wheel and then push a plastic ball thru a loop. All this to hold the cover in place. Then repeat the process to take them off.

Save yourself aggravation and time and just go ahead and buy the covers that have a built in spring. You merely spread the spring enough to go over the tire O.D. and then release it when the cover is in place. Reverse the process to remove.

Sorry I can't remember the manufacturer but someone here on the site will undoubtedly know who it is.

I stopped using the bungee cord and just pull the covers over and let them hang. So far so good but did have one blow off during a heavy wind. Put it back on and it stayed. 

I also have trouble getting these big hands over the top of the tire but I do have a solution.  First I push as much of the fabric over the top of the tire that I can, then DW uses her small hands to finish the job.  Works for me, but then she cleans the roof of the MH 'cause she doesn't trust me up there.

I also have some mesh tire protectors that are held in place by suction cups. The work fine but high winds do have an effect on them and they are a pain to roll up and store.  I like the Magna Shade ones in the video and Roger and Clare are wonderful to work with. I may go that route.

I have the Adco deluxe also and have the big paw problem. They are easer to put on if I remember to do them before airing down I also don't bother with the straps only had one blow off once so far 

We have the screen mesh type that snap onto the coach body and hang to the ground. They came with the coach along with side and an exterior windshield cover (only use the tire covers). I was going to toss them at first and go with the white Adco covers that only cover the tires but after I thought about it we use these all year.

I also park all 6 on Horse stall mats now vs wood for under tire protection. Last year the wood failed from the weight of the coach and that concerned me.

I use 2 x 10's with 3/4" plywood attached as a "crack holder."  I have had the same set for 9 years and just recently on of the 2 x 10's under the plywood split and the wood screws have rusted so it is time to replace them.  Plywood is very pliable and will keep the 2 x 10 from pulling apart if it splits. 

Time for me to get some new ones.  I carry 6 pieces of 2 x 10's with plywood tops. Four are 16 inches long with 45˚ beveled end and 2 are 12 inches long.  The 12's can be laid on top so there is an easy transition rolling up on the wood.

I checked a number of the flat, hang down screen/mesh covers at Redmond in '14 for keeping tire temperature down and was surprised to find that the Black were almost as good as my white vinyl ones   I think the mesh allows heat to get out,

So in theory white mesh would be best with tan mesh next then black mesh followed by white solid  then big jump in tire temperature to solid colors with black being worst.

Sorry but I can't address ease of fitting. I have no problems. Just an advantage of having a Class-C

I have read that black is better for keeping out UV and heat, believe it or not. I'll try to find the article.

Search on "black or white to block uv on rv tires" without the quotes for lots of information.

My covers are white with a felt backing so UV will not get through. Also the ADCO covers are treated for UV but how long that will last I don't know.

On 12/3/2016 at 1:43 PM, Wayne77590 said:

I have read that black is better for keeping out UV and heat, believe it or not. I'll try to find the article.

Search on "black or white to block uv on rv tires" without the quotes for lots of information.

My covers are white with a felt backing so UV will not get through. Also the ADCO covers are treated for UV but how long that will last I don't know.

While some think that it is carbon black that blocks UV I have used a UV meter and confirmed even a piece of cardboard blocks direct UV.

My concern is the damage done by heat.  UV can only affect the surface of a tire while heat can harm the structure.  Did you read my blog post on white covers I mentioned in earlier post?

Well I write often that black is the best UV blocker available, being a HAM, we have known this fact for years because we build antennas using wire as a dipole and hoisting it into the air and leaving it there for years, white or any color other than black will last only two to three years, while I have used black rope and it is still there after 21 years. With that said, Roger is correct about white being the best color for covering your tires, the heat is the concern for protecting your tires because it reduces heat, unless you have some special tire that is colored, it is already black, so by nature it is already the best UV blocker. My biggest concern about tires is them sitting on asphalt, petroleum based, so is the tire, concrete, it is alkaline, which will start premature deterioration, and many soils and gravel can be alkaline or acid causing the same effect in prolonged periods. Better they sit on newspaper than nothing when staying awhile.

On 12/15/2016 at 5:12 PM, kaypsmith said:

Well I write often that black is the best UV blocker available, being a HAM, we have known this fact for years because we build antennas using wire as a dipole and hoisting it into the air and leaving it there for years, white or any color other than black will last only two to three years, while I have used black rope and it is still there after 21 years. With that said, Roger is correct about white being the best color for covering your tires, the heat is the concern for protecting your tires because it reduces heat, unless you have some special tire that is colored, it is already black, so by nature it is already the best UV blocker. My biggest concern about tires is them sitting on asphalt, petroleum based, so is the tire, concrete, it is alkaline, which will start premature deterioration, and many soils and gravel can be alkaline or acid causing the same effect in prolonged periods. Better they sit on newspaper than nothing when staying awhile.

Thanks for confirmation.

I would be much more concerned with oils from asphalt attacking the tread surface and moisture migrating through the rubber and attacking the steel than alkaline from dry concrete.  Rubber is pretty resistant to acids and bases if you keep the moisture away. Not sure that newspaper or cardboard would do much other than absorb moisture.

My concerns are #1 heat, #2 oils, #3 moisture #4 Ozone from motor or ozone generator  all others would be #5

I myself park on 2x8x12 planks on crushed concrete that drains well with all tires in carport shade except one which is under white vinyl cover.

Carport is on North side of shop.

carport.jpg