manholt

AC Heat Pump

Always wonder how low it will go, before it blows cold air, instead of hot.  It's now 36 outside and I'm still nice and warm...:) 

Carl

OK.  Now 34 degrees outside and 72 inside!  :) Since the sun is coming up, it may drop to 33, but not for long enough to make a difference.  Humidity is 91% and pressure is falling.

Carl

Most heatpumps are not effective below 40 degrees, but they do include heat strips which take over when the compressor cannot separate enough heat from the air, yours must be working well.:)

I have basement air/heat and the heat pump works great.  If there is a great differential the propane heater will kick on to help the heat pump and once ambient is reached between the two of them the propane shuts off and the heat pump takes over.  Works well, knock on wood for the basement ac/heat.

I only use it when on Park power...I figured this morning, I was real close to using my diesel Aqua Hot.  Needed it twice this August, in Ruidoso, NM. 29 and 31.

Carl

I like to use the heat pump when on park power as long as I don't pay extra for it to save propane.  The DW don't like the A/C or heat pump because it's loud.  

Carl,

I know it is said that a Heat Pump will operate down to around 34 degrees. However one December we were in Burleson, Texas for a Christmas Rally and had both Ice and Snow. Our Aqua Hot was not working (hot water included). Our Heat pump worked down to 28 degrees. I know it was not suppose to but we were grateful it did. Afterwards I had the electric element in the AH replaced and we had hot water however the shop could not fix the AH its self. Lloyd DeGerald Repaired it in Madison. Photo Cell.

Before I forget it,

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO EACH AND EVERYONE!!!!!

Herman

Carl, did you take a wrong turn and head north :ph34r:?

Ditto, I will run the heat pumps when on park power, I don't care to as they are so noisy and the hot air they tend to produce usually dry. I prefer the Aqua Hot....that system really has us spoiled with being so quiet and moist hot air :wub:.

I tried to run ours at 32 (they were off for several weeks) and all I got on the display was "ICE". That soured me from that point on. I believe if they were already on and warm they will run into colder temps, its when you try to start them and they have been soaking in the cold is when they become useless.

I can remember only one time where we got caught in cold snowy weather in this coach.  We were traveling up the Central Valley in California towards Oregon and headed over to Highway 1 to avoid the "pass".  Pulled over for the night in a rest stop and ran the furnace all night (no hookups for heat pumps).  Woke up to a nice coating of snow but stayed cozy all night long.

Didn't even have to use a sock!! :D

Blake

What is this, a traveling sock? :lol:

I believe that Snow act's like a blanket and will help to insulate against heat loss! :o

Joe, I do agree that Aqua Hot is moister, along with my other current problem, is that I have about 30 gal. left in tank...I will make a fuel station in Weimar, TX. very happy!

Herman.  Happy Thanksgiving to you, also! :)

Carl

Carl, do you reuse the sock or carry extras to seal up leaks :lol:

Herman, Happy Thanksgiving to you as well and everyone else reading this post.

If I remember to remove it, I throw it in the wash...they belonged to my mother, so they don't fit on my foot...no mistake made! :)

Carl

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

The heat pumps only work down to the low 40s after that it will turn on the heat strip and if that isn't enough my system changes to the furnace. The one constant is no two systems/coaches are set up the same.

I am trying to figure out how one type of heating can produce wet heat and one dry? They both operate off sealed heat exchangers. The only heat source that would produce any moisture is heat from the Gas range or oven. I know Carl and Jo don't have gas in their coach so I am confused. :blink:

Bill

bill, the Aqua Hot produces heat throughout the coach via small radiators scattered around the interior with antifreeze circulating through them.

With forced hot water like in a house the radiators aren't as hot as the heat exchanger in gas fired hot air system. They don't tend to dry the air out as much. Wish I had an aqua hot in my coach.

Relative humidity. Pulling already dry cold winter air in, heating it, molecules expand, then the indoor air is dryer than before. Glues give it up, skin gets dry to scaly. Heated with wood years a ago using a drum stove. Learned my lesson. Added a humidifier after discomfort and damage.

Thinking that Aqua Heat is a good idea if you live in an RV over the winter. How many of us do in a cold part of the country? Joe and others have said there is additional maintenance. Don't care about unlimited hot water. Just the two of us with a ten gallon water heater. Have not run out of hot water so far. My two cents.

2 hours ago, obedb said:

Relative humidity. Pulling already dry cold winter air in, heating it, molecules expand, then the indoor air is dryer than before. Glues give it up, skin gets dry to scaly. Heated with wood years a ago using a drum stove. Learned my lesson. Added a humidifier after discomfort and damage.

Thinking that Aqua Heat is a good idea if you live in an RV over the winter. How many of us do in a cold part of the country? Joe and others have said there is additional maintenance. Don't care about unlimited hot water. Just the two of us with a ten gallon water heater. Have not run out of hot water so far. My two cents.

Having had a couple of OEM propane furnaces and two Aqua Hots, I'd hate to go back to propane.  The AH provides very warm, powerful and quiet heat to the zones selected...works just like the furnace in your stick house.  If it's not too cold, you can use the electric mode, so heating is free.  Plus, if really cold and you need to use the diesel burner, it only uses .4 GPH of diesel.

Too old and too cautious about spending money. Propane works fine for us. 1500 watt electric portables  generating 5500 btu of heat are a nice supplement to propane set at a lower setting  coming on as needed. Pockets are not deep enough.

If your coach does not have diesel heat (Webasto, AquaHot) built in you would not want to try to make a conversion (it that's even possible).  However, once you have had the comfy cozy warmth generated by a good baseboard heating system such as these there is not any chance in heck that you would ever go back.

I almost forgot, the other thing I like is the "Motor Aid" option. When we arrive at a CG I have hot water already since the engine cooling system is tied onto the Aqua Hot, if its above 50 degrees out I turn on the electric side of the system and it maintains the temperature. This also gives us heat throughout the coach while driving down the road. One added benefit....when its cold and the Aqua Hot is on it also warms my coach engine. When you have a DW that likes long hot showers, and two daughters.... this or a Tankless propane is the only way to go. In the morning the showers are back to back and we are off on our daily adventure without waiting for hot water. Its also nice to have my DW sleep through the night, when the furnace would kick in on the last coach she would fly up out of bed and scare the daylights out of me :o.