Sheeterangel

Slideout: Outside Air Leaking In Around Refrigerator

We are in Ohio where it is very cold.  We noticed that our slides are leaking very cold air from outside.  Seems to be around the refrigerator.  Pulled in or out, it is still leaking cold air.  I am thinking it is coming from the two refrigerator vents on the outside.   My question is can I cover these vents?  I am hooked up to shore power.  Or if you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

In a word, NO you can not cover the outside vents.  Air circulation behind the refrigerator is critical to the cooling process.

But, sealing the sides so that the outside air does not get into the coach should have been done at the factory and IS something that you should do.

1 hour ago, Sheeterangel said:

We are in Ohio where it is very cold.  We noticed that our slides are leaking very cold air from outside.  Seems to be around the refrigerator.  Pulled in or out, it is still leaking cold air.  I am thinking it is coming from the two refrigerator vents on the outside.   My question is can I cover these vents?  I am hooked up to shore power.  Or if you have any other suggestions, please let me know.

Sheetterangel, 

Welcome to the FMCA Forum !

Like Brett said-No !! to sealing any of the outside venting areas for the refrigerator. The sealing is between the interior side walls and the top and bottom. If you could post the Make,Model and year of the coach, one of the members might have a coach that matches yours and could offer some information on how there unit is sealed. Should you not feel comfortable doing the work then offer some information on where you are located in Ohio and someone might offer a good location to have the problem corrected.

Rich.  

Check the corners where the slides meet the coach.  Some are very drafty, I carry some rags to stuff in there when it's really cold.

I have the same problem on my curb slide and do like FIVE...hot summer and cold/cool winter!  Right now I have a sock in there! :)

Carl

7 hours ago, manholt said:

I have the same problem on my curb slide and do like FIVE...hot summer and cold/cool winter!  Right now I have a sock in there! :)

Carl

I hope it's not a used sock.  :blink:

16 hours ago, Sheeterangel said:

Do you have a residential refrigerator or an absorption unit?  If it's an absorption unit don't block the outside vents.  If residential refrigerator more or likely the outside vents should have been blocked off as it probably already vented front to rear and back.