dc27526

RV Polishing & Waxing

Newmar 2014 Ventana wax question.  I'm having a problem finding a good mobile detail service. Since I'm near retirement, started thinking why not do it myself.

That brings up the main question. Could anyone tell me where their is a training class on using a electric polisher and what type of wax to use. I could just buy one and start but, I had rather do it the right way.

Plus its another challenge in life. It would be neat to have a degree in RV Polishing and Waxing.

Lucas Slick Mist...spray & wipe with microfiber cloth...I wash my coach with soap and water, once a year and use Lucas once a week, or when the mood strike, it's $7.98 a spray bottle at Wally World...I use a bottle, in 3 full coach applications!

Carl

I don't see anything about any kind of UV protection with that product so I (me and me alone!) would make another choice.

YMMV!

My paint job is 22 years old and it's likely because I used good quality waxes on a regular basis.  UV protection is important to me (me and me alone) and likely has something to do with my paint job having survived this long.  2 coats of clear is considered a standard (poor by Prevost standards) on most RV's.  I suspect that my clear coat failed because the folks that did the repaint in 1994 only did 2 clear coats.  If you want a good quality paint job there will be at least 3 clear coats and on many Prevost's 4-6 coats.  It just depends upon your willingness to pay $30,000 for the paint job.

If we ever hear back from Bill Edwards, he will tell you that it also depends on which type of clear coat you put on, as to how many coats you need...he's got a post on here with Joe, in regards to that..:) 

I have waxed our last coach and I used a buffer similar to the one in the link below. If full paint go to an auto parts store and purchase a high quality polish (a lot of it) and have at it. If not full paint that gets tricky. I have gotten lucky the last two summers in locating a RV detail service that travels through a CG with reasonable pricing. I even had them wax the roof (all fiberglass).

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-10-in-Orbital-Buffer-RB102G/205642375?cm_mmc=SEM|THD|google|&mid=sbY6PieOZ|dc_mtid_8903tb925190_pcrid_50250225579_pkw__pmt__product_205642375_slid_&gclid=CP3zkbz6udACFZBWDQodZ9gJPw

dc --

Washing / waxing a motorhome, depending on the size, is a long one day effort for a good physical condition 55 year old like me.  For my 39 foot diesel pusher motorhome (and previously my 30 foot travel trailer) I use Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax every couple of months and had used Mequiar's Gold Class Carnauba Plus Wax once per year (both available at Walmart, AutoZone, etc.).  The wax job would typically look good for 8-9 months.  This past February 2016 while staying in Kerrville, TX to enjoy the Texas Wine Country, I treated myself to an "in RV park" wash and wax.  The two fine gentlemen from San Antonio that performed the service exclusively use a "commercial" wax product manufactured by Granitize after trying many different waxes during the 20 year history of their RV detailing business.  The name of the wax is "Polymer Wetcoat".   After ten months the Polymer Wetcoat wax coating is just now starting to "dim" a little.   Being a "commercial" product, the Polymer Wetcoat is only available in one gallon size jugs.  But when used for the motorhome, my Jeep and the wife's car, a gallon of wax should be used rather quickly.

Here is the link to the Granitize website --> http://granitize.com/portfolio/polymer-wetcoat-pw-g-0

Wayne,

I took a look on ebay and Amazon. Both had several Polymer Wetcoats and all were in the $18.00 to $25.00/gal range There is a Airplane wax a friend of mine told me about. Said it sheds water nicely and last for a long time. When I can get the name from him I will list it here.

Herman

Herman, one has to be careful as "Polymer" wet coat is different then Auto wet coat.

Years ago Walmart sold a kit with the Mr. Clean logo on it. It came with a soap that had polymers in it and a built in sprayer in the nozzle. One position of, one position jet stream for wetting with soap and rinsing, and one position for final spray. The final spray went through an ionizer and produced some very soft water and there was no reason for drying. It worked great, then Proctor and Gamble stopped making the soap and the ion filter.  I really like the product and it did a superb job cleaning. When they stopped making it I searched for the soap and filters. Filters could not be found and a 16 oz bottle of soap was going for $94....no way Jose!

I have since purchased the Washwaxall kit and it is expensive for the kit but well worth then investment. The deluxe mop pole is wonderful and reaches to 14 feet with the push of a button and a slide of the hand.  Here is where I ordered my kit from but there may be less expensive places, this is the company, Washwaxall

I purchased the "Mop Kit. Internet Special." with bug scrubber.