pjfromny

Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar Arm Will Not Lock

We have a Blue Ox Aladdin towbar.  Have had it about a month now.  Hooked up today, and one arm will not lock into the extended position.  Have tried driving around a parking lot, and reattaching vehicle.  No service places are open this weekend, and its fairly important we travel.  Can we adjust this?  Thank you for any help.

Sounds like the locking pawl is either stuck or broken. I wouldn't tow with it malfunctioning.

Try to get some Corrosion-X or some other rust buster inside the lock mechanism. Then work the "locking lever" back & forth a bunch to see if this frees up the locking pawl end.

Are you sure the arm is fully extended? Measure both the functioning arm and the one that won't lock to verify pullout.

If all else fails try contacting Blue Ox for advice.

Thanks, Nitehawk.  We pulled the cap off the end of the lever, and can see that when the arm is extended, the handle goes up (meaning the opposite end of the handle drops down as it should ), but it won't stay in place.  Its more like its too loose than not loose enough.

We tried calling Blue Ox, but they are not open until Monday.  we may just need to leave the truck and travel without it.

55 minutes ago, pjfromny said:

Thanks, Nitehawk.  We pulled the cap off the end of the lever, and can see that when the arm is extended, the handle goes up (meaning the opposite end of the handle drops down as it should ), but it won't stay in place.  Its more like its too loose than not loose enough.

We tried calling Blue Ox, but they are not open until Monday.  we may just need to leave the truck and travel without it.

One other thing to try is spray penetrating oil into the arm and slide the arm out sharply to see if the lock is just gummed up. If it starts working spray some oil in to keep it lubed.

Bill

Is the small locking arm on top of the bar stuck?  We had that happen and Blue Ox said to hit it with a hammer...I did and it's been fine since.

If all else fails, hit it with a bigger hammer.:D

I guess the question to ask is: Does the non-locking small arm travel as far as the functioning small arm? If not, try the percussive persuasion Five suggested. (hit the darn thing with a hammer)

...or try: if pulling forward to lock the arm turn the wheel in the direction of the unlocked arm and then pull forward with the MH.

If backing the TOAD up to lock the arm turn the wheel in the opposite direction of the unlocked arm. Move very slowly in the backward direction with the TOAD and if resistance is felt give it gas to bump the arm out.  (if sitting in TOAD and left arm is not locked, turn wheel to right and back up TOAD.)

It is always nice to have someone stand beside the hitching mechanism and watch the locking arms come up.

Bill,

I realize that and in my experience the arm can come all the way up but it may not appear to be locked. If there is no pressure on the arm the lock will move freely.  I think the best test is to pull the arm out by hand and let try and lock in place. If it can then be pushed in without depressing the arm lock it may be defective.

Just throwing out some alternatives.

Yep, riding around in a parking lot and turning in both directions should cause the arm to lock.

16 hours ago, FIVE said:

If still having a problem, call Blue Ox, they are very helpful.

Dang! Why didn't I think of that. Sheesh!

To finally finish this thread.  Blue Ox responded within a few days and asked us to check for the spring, which we could not locate.  So, probably it broke and fell out.  We took the tow bar back to the place we bought it, they ordered the part, and fixed it.  We think its working fine now.  Thanks for all the ideas and advice!