jimmyfc1

Winter Storage Leveling

jimmyfc1,

Welcome to the FMCA Forum.

You will likely hear both pro and con on this.  Personally, on three coaches over the last 18 years, we have always stored with jacks DOWN.  No adverse issues, and appreciate having some of the weight off the tires and suspension.

If not in a clean area, I would wipe down the pistons before retracting after long storage.

i leave ours down more than 6 months at a time.  Depending on the type of jacks you have, you may want to wipe them down with hydraulic or transmission fluid to clean them before retracting, but other than that there should be no problems leaving them extended.

7 hours ago, jimmyfc1 said:

Thank you. I will wipe them down and leave them down.

The key here is to wipe them down before retracting them after they sit for any extended time. The reason, well a couple of reasons, makes them retract easily and helps prevent damage to the seal in the ram.

It would be beneficial at the start of storage to wipe them down to protect the exposed shafts from coroshion.

Bill

I read someplace to put cribbing under the jacks so they don't have to extend out that far and I would think it would prevent stretching the retract springs. Any thought on this theory?

If you dump the air the coach should not be too high.  If it is too high, does your jack controller give you the option of lowering the coach once level?  My Valid has a "four corner lower" button.