CraigandTammy

House Batteries

I recently purchased two large Duracell Ultra High Capacity 6 volt batteries (lead-acid type) from "Batteries+ Bulbs" to replace five year old Interstate brand coach batteries --> https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/rv/deep-cycle/6/sligc115.  

The pricing for the Duracell batteries was slightly less than for Interstate batteries.  I chose Duracell batteries simply because of the proximity of the Batteries+Bulbs store to the RV storage facility and that Duracell is a trusted name in the battery business.  I have not had good reliability with Wal-Mart Everstart batteries in a couple of my vehicles thus I didn't consider Wal-Mart for coach batteries.

I sure like the maintenance free environment of my LifeLine house batteries.  Expensive, but ....  Guess it depends on your needs.  Lots of people don't mind the battery maintenance ..... for me, it's worth paying extra to not have to concern myself with that.   

6 minutes ago, CarlAda said:

I sure like the maintenance free environment of my LifeLine house batteries.  Expensive, but ....  Guess it depends on your needs.  Lots of people don't mind the battery maintenance ..... for me, it's worth paying extra to not have to concern myself with that.   

Me too.  And, the harder it is to access the batteries and/or the older I get (stress the second part) the more I appreciate the Lifeline AGM's. Basically install them, program inverter/charger and forget them. Works in both sailboat (where batteries are more critical and exposed to more "stress") and the motorhome.

The 6CT's are too tall for my application.  I use the GPL-4CT which is more a "standard size" 6 VDC deep cycle AGM battery.

If the 6CT's will fit your application, go for it.

I have 4 GPL-8DL house batteries.  Not looking forward to the bill when I have to replace those babies.

My chassis batteries are wet cell and it's a pita to get to the cells just due to the wiring.  When they go, I'll be looking for sealed batteries.

What about Lithium batteries? Saw them at the meet in Chandler and did some research on them and they seem like a great thing. Contemplating replacing my house batteries with these (if I get the thing running...). They are hideously expensive, (like $2000 to replace my 4 "golf cart" batteries), but seem very low maintenance, (as in none), will hold their charge sitting idle for great periods, charge up faster, and last many years longer than wet cells. Or have I just swallowed the Kool-aid on this?

Tim, I would love to have one, it could replace all 8 of my house batteries and be 600 pounds lighter...but, they stll have a nasty habit of catching fire...think the Dream Liner Airplane or Tesla! :(:o 

2 hours ago, CarlAda said:

I have 4 GPL-8DL house batteries.  Not looking forward to the bill when I have to replace those babies.

My chassis batteries are wet cell and it's a pita to get to the cells just due to the wiring.  When they go, I'll be looking for sealed batteries.

What are your chassis batteries? Freightliner had OEM start batteries on sale for $69.00 ea. They are the maintenance free type. I think they are groupe 31. 

Bill

1 minute ago, WILDEBILL308 said:

What are your chassis batteries? Freightliner had OEM start batteries on sale for $69.00 ea. They are the maintenance free type. I think they are groupe 31. 

Bill

Off the top of my head, I'm not sure.  I believe they're group 31s.  But, they're quite good right now and no need to replace.  Thanks though!

Well, fire with the lithium batteries may be something to think about. But I think for the most part the risk is exaggerated. When you look at how many items, and cars have lithium batteries (every Prius, Volt, and all the hybrids and so forth), it isn't like they are igniting that frequently, but the cases that do get a lot of publicity. Still, not good if you are the one it happens to. 

But it isn't like wet batteries have never exploded, or just cracked and dripped acid all over the place, and so forth. 

AGM's avoid some of this, but extra $$ when they go bad, and they do, sometimes just from the vibration of driving or hitting a big bump they will short internally (ask me how I know...). 

Nothing is perfect. 

I dont drive my coach that often and even with a trickle charger on them, it seems like I have to replace my house batteries about every 18 months @ about $400 a whack. But, compared to lithium, financially, it may end up being a wash.

Tim.

The only Coach that I know off that uses Volta Lithium battery is the 2017 and 2018 Prevost by Liberty! 

I have used all kinds of high dollar AGM's in my race boats (when I had them).  Lifeline are the only ones that held up to the pounding of 120+ knots in offshore racing!  I have AGM's in my coach, by NAPA (Western Auto) currently...only ones I could get in an emergency at the location I was at.  So far, they are holding up far better than I expected.  I do about 30% Freeway.  If your replacing batteries every 18 months, you got a serious problem!  That has nothing to do with the integrity of the battery!

Carl

AGM's for me, just ordered them. Four 6V cost me $896.00. No TAX (benefit to living close to Delaware :P) Personally I will not go back to wet cell. I have enough to constantly look at with routine maintenance, adding four batteries just adds to the list that is already too long, then dealing with watering, equalizing charges while they gas etc...etc...etc..:(

I bought Universal Battery AGM's when my 10 year old Lifelines seemed to be holding less and less capacity.  The UB brand is Chinese but about 1/2 the cost of the Lifelines.  They are not as heavy so maybe not so robust, but I have already had them for 5 years and they are doing great.  Dollar of dollar and year for year I am now at the same cost per year as the Lifelines and any life beyond now is money saved.

Anyone have any personal use info on FullRIver AGM batteries?  I saw them at the battery store when I was having the battery replaced in my car. 

18 hours ago, TimWright said:

What about Lithium batteries? Saw them at the meet in Chandler and did some research on them and they seem like a great thing. Contemplating replacing my house batteries with these (if I get the thing running...). They are hideously expensive, (like $2000 to replace my 4 "golf cart" batteries), but seem very low maintenance, (as in none), will hold their charge sitting idle for great periods, charge up faster, and last many years longer than wet cells. Or have I just swallowed the Kool-aid on this?

Tim,

Before you purchase lithium batteries check to see if your inverter will support them  Owners manual on our inverter specifically says not to use lithium.

Blake