CraigandTammy

House Batteries

8 hours ago, bates4cs said:

I have an extra battery that is not deep cycle, and not sure if it would hurt tying in with the deep cycle. 

Bates4cs,

First, welcome to the FMCA Forum.

I agree, mixing types of batteries is not ideal. But, if all are the same technology (i.e. wet cell, AGM or gel) and the smart charger or smart inverter charger is properly programmed for them, if you already have the battery, do it.

9 hours ago, bates4cs said:

Had solar installed 200 amps, running to both house batteries and main engine battery and aftermarket gadget battery.  I'm praying something doesn't go wrong.  Starting a conversion, and hoping electrical would have been the best place to start.  I have an extra battery that is not deep cycle, and not sure if it would hurt tying in with the deep cycle. 

Is 200 AMPS a TYPO? This would be very expensive, I would think 200 watts, ie. 16+ amps.

38 minutes ago, manholt said:

You can do that?  How does that work?  Learn something new.

Carl

Again, not ideal, but as long as all batteries on the charger or inverter/charger want to be "treated the same" (charging voltages, particularly in float mode) it can be done.

The biggest negative is if one of the batteries is bad/has a bad cell-- it can cause the charger to overcharge all the batteries in an attempt to supply correct voltage to the low battery. 

Said another way, even the smartest charger producing exactly the correct float voltage for a 12 VDC battery (say 13.2 VDC for example) will be WAY overcharging a battery with one dead cell so it is actually a TEN VOLT BATTERY!

9 hours ago, bates4cs said:

Had solar installed 200 amps, running to both house batteries and main engine battery and aftermarket gadget battery.  I'm praying something doesn't go wrong.  Starting a conversion, and hoping electrical would have been the best place to start.  I have an extra battery that is not deep cycle, and not sure if it would hurt tying in with the deep cycle. 

Welcome to the forum. I would charge it off the same circuit that charges your engine batteries as they ar not deep cycle.  

Bill 

I was also wondering about the 200A ?  Not even sure that they would fit on roof ?  Total overkill.

So, if I understand the battery thing...You can do it, but not really recommended unless you don't have a choice!?  Personally, I would go get an equal battery and save the starter battery.

Carl

Carl,

Yes, suspect 200 watts of solar, not 200 amps.  But, that is certainly enough to keep up both battery banks while in storage if stored outside AND they feed through a smart controller (regulator). And, of course that there is some method of charging BOTH chassis and house banks.

Concerning mixing batteries:

The primary issue is: "is one battery more likely to fail/have a cell go bad"?

That is why mixing batteries of different ages is not a good idea, as the newer battery will likely fail when the oldest battery fails.

So, anytime a new battery is added to the mix, assume its life will be similar to the oldest battery.

Thanks guys, Yes it is watts.  I had the installer remove the odd battery, and never even thought about adding it to chassis batteries. I purchased a battery tender, so maybe I'll goof around to see how long that will keep the extra battery charged.  The only thing I'll really run is a refrigerator, so I'll find out if 200 watts will keep a midsize fridge going in the Washington Clouds. I just hope I have enough of a charge for a couple of weeks offgrid.  The panels are monocrystalline, and appear to be working well.  I think I'll run the refrigerator to see how long it goes before I set out.  I'll take a generator just in case.  It will be on big test.  I appreciate your responses. 

I have a tech. question.

I have a 2016 Thor Vegas and when I went to start it today to run it for awhile both the house and the vehicle batteries are dead--can't even start the generator..  some how I left the house battery power switch on and it drained both batteries.  my question is how do I charge or jump start the batteries? or  will it recharge the batteries  if I connect it to a shore power source--I had an outlet installed on the out side of my garage and have a 50' RV power cable...  should I just call AAA.

GMA,

If you can get your jumper cables to the coach go ahead and jump start it. It would be good to have your vehicle change the coach batteries for a while before starting it.

Herman 

GMA. Welcome!

When your on 50A, your house batteries should be charging.  On some makes, like mine, it does not charge the engine batteries so you need a trickle charger for those.  I had a automatic charger/maintainer installed, NAPA 85-300A-CA.  I just plug a 15A extension cord into it and a outlet in my bay or campground post, when I'm away from my garage.  It's attached to battery all the time.

Carl 

Since you do have shore power available, I would NOT jump start it.  Hard on alternator to make it charge two large deeply discharged batteries.

Better, plug in.  If your battery voltage is too low, many built in chargers will NOT begin to charge.  If that happens, just put a small charger (I have an old 6 amp Sears charger for that) on the house battery until the on-board charger can take over.

As Carl said, on some makes, the on-board charger only charges the house bank, not chassis bank.  Do not know how yours is wired. If the chassis batteries are not charged by the on-board charger, use that small plug-in charger to bring them up.

Sure, if you have to leave right now, jump it, but if you have time, do it the "more gentle" way.

17 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Since you do have shore power available, I would NOT jump start it.  Hard on alternator to make it charge two large deeply discharged batteries.

Better, plug in.  If your battery voltage is too low, many built in chargers will NOT begin to charge.  If that happens, just put a small charger (I have an old 6 amp Sears charger for that) on the house battery until the on-board charger can take over.

As Carl said, on some makes, the on-board charger only charges the house bank, not chassis bank.  Do not know how yours is wired. If the chassis batteries are not charged by the on-board charger, use that small plug-in charger to bring them up.

Sure, if you have to leave right now, jump it, but if you have time, do it the "more gentle" way.

X2

Brett, Kay.  He has 50A Shore power on side of garage installed for coach!  Why the house batteries are dead is another issue, I suspect a bad cell or no water in acid battery, either way it does need a small charger to bring them back enough for converter to kick in. 

My suggestion is based on acid and filled to proper level with distilled water.

2 hours ago, manholt said:

Brett, Kay.  He has 50A Shore power on side of garage installed for coach!  Why the house batteries are dead is another issue, I suspect a bad cell or no water in acid battery, either way it does need a small charger to bring them back enough for converter to kick in. 

My suggestion is based on acid and filled to proper level with distilled water.

Really not clear.  His statement about shore power begins with "If I connect it to a shore power source.......

So, yes, I ASSUMED that it was not plugged in when the batteries deeply discharged.  Certainly could have made the wrong assumption.

Yea!  We tend to only see what we expect to see sometimes...been there too! :D 

That word "assumed", has a way of biting me in the end...:o:lol: