JGCUPP

Generator Starts While Plugged Into 50 Amp

Twice in the past month we have gone down to our storage building to get something or check on the RV & found the generator running.  The first time the generator must have been running for quite a while because the building & RV were filled with fumes and the tire and side of the RV nearest the exhaust pipe were very hot to the touch.

We are plugged in to a 50 amp outlet.  

As far as we can tell there is no auto gen start feature on our coach.  2005 Country Coach Magna.  We really like the quality of the coach but really DISLIKE the owners manual.  Definitely not user friendly.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this?

I would recommend checking the electronics area of the generator for moisture and/or loose connection.  It is not unusual for moisture in the start connections on the generator to "self-start".

Yes, it does have Silverleaf.  I looked on the menu yesterday to see if I could find an option for the auto gen set but didn't see anything.  I will look again today. 

Can't figure out why it would turn on while plugged in to AC.. Even if there were an interruption of AC power & the generator kicked on it should have turned off when the AC was restored.  As far as I can tell there has been no power outrage.

Power outage without auto gen set start should NOT start the generator.  If no auto gen set start, check for issues such as moisture in the generator start circuit.

3 minutes ago, wolfe10 said:

Power outage without auto gen set start should NOT start the generator.  If no auto gen set start, check for issues such as moisture in the generator start circuit.

Brett, the OP might not know if the is equipped with auto start option. Ether Via Silverleaf or the inverter / charger having the option. Starting twice makes me think the batteries are possibility low on water. Low battery voltage due to shorted cell and them not charging would keep the generator running.

So should they check the condition of the batteries?

Rich. 

Thank you for the suggestions.  I will check the batteries today & will have time this weekend to explore the genstart setting fully.  I printed your attachment.  If this doesn't solve the problem I will have my tech person check the generator circuits for moisture.  That is more than I fell comfortable doing.

Thanks.

Think it would be wise to disable the gen set till you find problem  so it doesn't start a fire running in a confined space. I believe you said it was almost to hot to touch around the exhaust area.

I too have had my generator start up for no apparent reason. I found the control wiring connector (interior start/stop switch) had gotten rain water and shorted the start circuit. I cleaned the connector and sealed it with electrical grease. No problems since.