rcieslak67

Loss Of Tire Pressure

I had 6 new Goodyear RV tires installed three years ago at Camping World of Northern Michigan in Houghton Lake, Michigan. Since that time I have had nothing but problems with tire air pressure loss. Last year on my way again to Camping World I had an inner rear tire come completely off of the rim which ruined the tire. I have had several tires go flat just with the motorhome stored, Camping World has installed the braided tire pressure extensions onto the rears twice now once new purchase and once under warranty. I now have a flat right front tire and I just don't understand what is the problem. I always monitor and maintain at least 90 psi air pressure. What do other RV's do for tire extensions to be able to fill check their rear and front tires without struggling?

My suggestion is go to a tire dealer that specializes in truck tires. Apparently this Camping World doesn't know how to seat the tire bead and a lot tire of installers will not recommend the braided extensions. There are only three places a tire can leak: from a puncture, from a leaking valve stem or from a leaking tire/wheel bead.

I agree that there is probably a basic problem of improper install of either tire to the wheel, valve body to wheel or hose extender to valve.

Some over or under tighten the hoses or do hot have them solidly bolted down to the wheel.  I have over 35,000 miles on my hoses with zero leaks.

10sagzq.jpg

Hoses should not be tightened with tools. Twist on till any leaking stops then go 1/2 to 3/4 turn more. Spray with soapy water to confirm no leaks.  ALWAYS run either a TPMS sensor or metal valve cap that has a good "O" ring seal in it.

Are you running a TPMS? If you had one dual go flat then the other was 100% overloaded and may have internal structural damage.

Tireman9 - My system looks almost exactly like your installation. I do not have a TPMS system installed. I was just at the motorhome yesterday and I have at least 2 flat tires.

Appears you have a leak from a puncture, an improperly installed valve stem/extensions or the tire bead was never seated properly. Unless someone is letting air out of you tires those are the only reasons for you to have a flat(s). 

I again suggest you take your motorhome to a truck tire dealer (preferably Goodyear Wingfoot dealer), have all the tires broken down and remounted. If you've done much reading regarding Camping World, they don't get many good remarks concerning their service department.

On 12/4/2016 at 5:19 AM, rcieslak67 said:

Tireman9 - My system looks almost exactly like your installation. I do not have a TPMS system installed. I was just at the motorhome yesterday and I have at least 2 flat tires.

Is the MH stored at a storage facility that does not monitor who gets in?  Fill a spray bottle with water and a bit of dish soap. Spray valve, extensions and area where tire joins the wheel. If no leaks discovered then do the tread.  There clearly is a reason you are loosing air.

I realize that many have traveled with the braided tire extensions with no problems. However, they did cause me to have to replace two tires when one of them leaked.  The leak was not at the valve stem but instead at the crimp where the braid entered the metal. The were installed "professionally."

Got ride of them immediately and went to the Dually Valve system.  Never looked back.

Basic problem was caused by braided stainless steel stem extensions that were installed by Camping World of Northern Michigan. Stay away from stem extensions unless they are installed by people who know what they are doing.

On my last motorhome I changed the braided extensionso to rigid truck valve stems. Also go to a truck dealer they usally know how to mount and balance motorhome tires.

IMO many times the failure of a part or accessory can be traced to faulty installation of the part in the first place. For some reason the concept of not having a hose rub against a wheel or hub cap and to ensure the hose is not loose or over-tight seems to be beyond tha ability of some tech people. Of course it is also entirely possible that training for anything related to tires is at the bottom of the list of things to expend some time and effort on.

I have over 75k miles & 9 years on 2 sets of hose extensions with no failures but maybe I'm just lucky.

Many people have lot's of miles and many years on valve stem extensions.  Personally, I don't use them as they are just another failure point as far as I'm concerned.  It is more difficult to air up the tires without them but I'm willing to forgo a little convenience for peace of mind.

No matter what your system is you should be running a TPMS. Leaks can occur for a variety of reasons. With sufficient advance notice it is possible to stop and take corrective action before the tire is damaged due to running with low pressure. TPMS are good for many years of service with only the few $ to cover sensor battery replacement every few years. You only need to avoid one tire failure to cover the cost of the entire TPMS system. Good investment IMO