QuiGonJohn

Exterior Maintenance - Cleaning and Waxing Fiberglass

Anyone have a recommendation for wash wax service in the Phoenix area? I was thinking about getting my coach done while we are there this winter. Carl, what did you and Linda have to pay for the wash/wax?

Roland

Mine was $150 for wash & worth every penny...they got rid off 90% of my bugs in front (commercial strength White Lightning) and hot water pressure washer set at 700 psi (hot water came from my outside shower)!

Linda's was $250 for was/wax/ and heavy layer of wax on roof (Maguire's).

About a mile from Flagstaff cut off from I-10E is a Pilot truck stop with Blue Beacon, they do a really good Job....$64 ! 

If you are up to cleaning and waxing your coach yourself here is the best I have ever used. I have been using Lew's Slick Mist for several years since I heard about it from Carl which I found to work well. 

I go the receipt from a friend of  mine. She and her husband cleaned their coach and truck each time they parked (too much for me but that was Corbett. God rest his soul).

Here is the receipt.

CONNIE'S Simple Wax

32 oz. Distilled Water

16 oz Cheap Turtle Wax

1 tsp Dawn Dishwashing Liquid

1/2 tsp Lemon Juice

Shake well

Spray it on and wipe it with a Microfiber cloth. You do not have to wipe off or buff it. Just wipe it on being sure to cover the area completely and you are done.

You will have to use several Microfiber cloths. It works well to remove mild dirt but it the dirt is heavy it is best to rinse it off first.

The cost is Distilled Water, $1.00 , Turtle Wax $3.95 both from Dollar General. Dawn from kitchen and Lemon Juice from the refrigerator. 

Give it a try and let me know what you think. 

Herman

Herman thanks for that formula. I might give that a try for next time. 

I am 1/2 way to completion on our coach now using these two and an orbital buffer with a lambs wool bonnet and microfiber towels, no decals on our coach full body paint.

CC5C1FE8-7C87-40BA-94C9-4C055EDC09D3.jpeg

Just be aware that Dawn will remove any wax and the lemon juice is acidic. Before doing bodywork and/or painting a car, we would wash it with Dawn. 

3 hours ago, elkhartjim said:

Just be aware that Dawn will remove any wax and the lemon juice is acidic. Before doing bodywork and/or painting a car, we would wash it with Dawn. 

Interesting you mentioned that. I was always told not to use dish soap on a automotive finish.

Hopefully bill e will chime in

Yup,  best to use a car wash SOAP, not detergent such as Dawn.  Dawn is great for cutting grease (AND removing wax).

Also, do not use a soap of any kind that has citrus products in it on the roof.  The birds are attracted to the scent and it has been told that they can peck a hole in the roof or skylight trying trying to get to the fruit.

I'll stick with Lucas Slick Mist.  If it's good enough for show cars, it should be good enough for the coach!  :P:)

1 hour ago, manholt said:

I'll stick with Lucas Slick Mist.  If it's good enough for show cars, it should be good enough for the coach!  :P:)

Carl, do you use the Marine version or the regular?

I think I’m going to give this a try next time

Between me and Linda, 6 each and 5 of them full.  In my coach, I got about 40 micro cloth's!  She has the same in her coach....we will leave hers in barn for Summer!

I finished up ours over the weekend. Not a bad project, the orbital buffer made it much easier along with the scaffold my neighbor carried over when he saw me on the ladder.

Next onto the roof coating. Not sure if I will have time between now and NM. 

1 hour ago, manholt said:

$200 and good to go, huh!  Why not Dicor w/Acrylic ?

Dicor with Acrylic is for rubber roofs, mine is fiberglass, plus my clear coat is peeling in some spots facing upwards, i'm going to clean that up and coat over it with fresh Nyalic so it doesnt get worse.

29 minutes ago, manholt said:

Joe, I have dicor/acrylic on my fiberglass roof.  That's why I had white streaks!

Interesting...I figured a clear coat like on the side walls would be best to keep the fiberglass protected especially one with a UV protectant. Ours is just fiberglass and the paint comes up 3-4" from the sides onto the flat surface, the center portion isn't painted, I get streaks down the sides, the Nyalic should stop all of that and keep it protected. 

Had our coach washed and the wheels cleaned in Perry 2016. The coach looked good and the wheels came out beautiful. They hit me up for another $50 to put a coating on the roof. Don't know what they used but I have not had any streaking since it was applied. 

Herman

31 minutes ago, hermanmullins said:

They hit me up for another $50 to put a coating on the roof.

Probably a Polymer wax. I use to get that done every year.

Linda had the same done at Six State and will do it again this year!  Roof is doing good, they used  the same wax that Joe used to use, before he belived he was a metal coach!  Even the boat is painted aluminum! :(

4 hours ago, manholt said:

Linda had the same done at Six State and will do it again this year!  Roof is doing good, they used  the same wax that Joe used to use, before he belived he was a metal coach!  Even the boat is painted aluminum! :(

:lol: