Question

Finally after much consideration and negotiating; we have our route to Walt Disney in 2017. I have a few questions and Im hoping someone could help.

We are leaving Baltimore mid week and returning 11 days later on Sunday. Going down we are cutting across I-70 and through Harpers Ferry, WV through Winchester and on to 81. From there we plan to see as much of the foliage as we can down 81 but I am curious to know if anyone knows if 81 is finished all the construction down my Roanoke and what did they actually do? I remember construction back in December of Last year if that helps. 

Also, From there we are running 77 to Charlotte and staying at the Carowinds Camp ground for the night. - Any BBQ places in that neck of the woods that we can try? 

Leaving Charlotte we will continue down to 95 and swing into GA where I know boiled peanuts are at every exit but RV friendly Gas Stations seem not to be according to the internet searches. Any recommendations of places to get gas and a snooze between Savannah and Jacksonville?

From there we are headed points south to Titusville - How far is that from Port Canaveral? I think or I should say it appears to be about 30 min but I want to be sure. 

Titusville to Orlando for the Mouse - Stating in Fort Wilderness for 6 days. 

Coming Back we are shooting up 95 and Havent planned that yet but it should be interesting. 

11 answers to this question

We have been south from Mass a few times we go down inland to avoid cross Bronx,Gw and Baltimore harbor tunnel. As far as gas we fill up on highway might be a little more but no hassle. Have a great trip.

6 hours ago, Jrock said:

We have been south from Mass a few times we go down inland to avoid cross Bronx,Gw and Baltimore harbor tunnel. As far as gas we fill up on highway might be a little more but no hassle. Have a great trip.

I live just west of the Harbor Tunnel. I am right at the end of I 70 so avoiding the tunnel is easy because I get on 95 south of the tunnel. My issues is ALWAYS DC and Richmond. That's one reason why I am taking I 81 down not 95. Not for the Richmond or DC headache. 

Suggestion, if you ever have to come through Baltimore, take 695 toward Towson to avoid the toll on the bridge. Its a wee bit longer but it avoids the issues of bridge warnings and stuff. They are quick to through a bridge warning for anything under and 68K lbs. 

Be aware that there is no foliage left to see so if you are taking that route for that reason you will be disappointed.  If you just want to drive an extra 110 miles to avoid the DC beltway that's OK, too.

Not sure why you (anyone) would want to go to Titusville on their way to Orlando but if what you want to do is go to Port Canaveral then you should go to Port Canaveral.  There is a great campground on the ocean and on the canal that leads the great ships in an out of the port.  It's great fun to watch them come or go if your timing for their arrival or departure coincides.

I used to live in Alexandria and if it was me (and it's not!) I would go right down 95 and get there as fast as I could but your plan won't delay things very long.  I just don't think you will really be doing much sightseeing along the way.

Hey Bill

This year the foliage started late and then just disappeared. I just like looking at the mountains personally but the DW feels trees are more important. 

I forgot your from Alexandria, i think you told me that once before. Living in Alexandria you didn't have to deal with the Baltimore side of the 95 world too much but people here (how do I say this nicely) simply don't drive so we will have jams because a plane took off and idiots wanted to look. Yes I am trying to avoid DC as much as possible. ME and the stretch of 95 from DC to Richmond NEVER get along. The stretch of 295 though DC they were working on when you were in this neck of the wood and THEY STILL ARE do nothing but they working!!   We are leaving Baltimore at noonish because the DW works overnight that Tuesday so DC wont be the issue per sae, but Richmond will. Some people say 295 around Richmond works but its just never worked in my favor. Now if you get me to Petersburg with out me having a coronary then I am Good. 

I want to got to Port Canaveral but I may be confused, I was told there was a Kennedy Space Museum or something near Titusville Is that not the case? Now i could be wrong, but I thought the Port and the Cape Canaveral were like 5 miles away? There is a awesome Golf resort that I have always wanted to see, and play so that's the reason behind Titusville - not to mention I have 3 other people to keep happy and thats where they picked. Golf was a plus 1 for me!

16 hours ago, BillAdams said:

Be aware that there is no foliage left to see so if you are taking that route for that reason you will be disappointed.  If you just want to drive an extra 110 miles to avoid the DC beltway that's OK, too.

To answer the extra 110 miles thing, my father in law (Should say OutLAW) asked me the same question because he felt that I was "Burning to much Gas" and it took me a few minutes to come up with an answer but i finally said in the nicest way I possibly could, "I just bought a house on wheels, and I am on Vacation. So in other words I just bought an opportunity to stop and explore everything I possibly can along the way so my 8 year old can see that there is a world outside of God Forsaken Baltimore City." So that would be the other reason, I have 3 days to kill to get to Disney and after having someone roll my Suburban and I walked away pretty much unhurt - I have learned to slow way down and take the high road in life. 

Yes, the Kennedy Space Center is very close to Titusville (as is Cape Canaveral).  Port Canaveral is maybe 20 minutes distant.  If that's your goal then stopping at Titusville makes plenty of sense.  I just was in VA with our Prevost and getting around the Fairfax, VA area wasn't too bad but I remembered right away why I was so happy to leave the DC area so many years ago.

I completely understand you taking the route you chose and I have done the same thing many times to avoid an area or to include and area.   Both are equally good reasons.  Have a great trip.  The only good thing I ever found about Titusville (lived there 3 years) was all those shuttle launches and the Space Center.  Have a great trip.

Grew up near you, live north of Hagerstown (in PA) now, just off I81.  We've run your route many times. We've also been able to run south on 81 to cross over to I95 south of Richmond and avoid the worst of Bmore/DC beltways.  Stop for fuel in South Carolina, since it is the cheapest, is always our plan to get through GA.  Not Titusville, but we've stayed at Jetty Park for Cape Canavaral.

2 hours ago, whateverearl said:

Grew up near you, live north of Hagerstown (in PA) now, just off I81.  We've run your route many times. We've also been able to run south on 81 to cross over to I95 south of Richmond and avoid the worst of Bmore/DC beltways.  Stop for fuel in South Carolina, since it is the cheapest, is always our plan to get through GA.  Not Titusville, but we've stayed at Jetty Park for Cape Canavaral.

OK ... how are are yall from Chambersburg? 

Keon.  Since you take regular gas, any station off the Freeway will accommodate you...I'm the one who has problems due to size.  SC does seem to have the best price!  I can't help you on BBQ, not my favorite meal.  Palmetto RV Park, just North of GA, boarder, off I-95 is good and there is a large gas station there. 

Have fun!  :D 

Carl 

Keon, we just run through D.C. Done it many times and I agree I don't like it either. The new highways made it much better but still problematic depending on the time of day. So pack up the family and head out in the early AM. I also run the EZ Pass lane for tag holders only and scoot right past the traffic, that ends at Quantico but is still a help. 

If I wasn't on a schedule I'd consider alternative routes. DW usually has something planned at Disney and in order to keep the reservations I just point the car or coach and go. 

There are plenty of places to get Gasoline along the way and not many that could present a problem for you until you get to I-4 in Florida. The fuel stops are in congested areas and the ones that are not don't look inviting for a family. So make sure you jump on 4 with a full tank. I ran that route every year for several in our last coach. The past few years we ran the car down and just stayed on property in a hotel. My youngest loves the hotels on property so I try and keep the peace plus the view was great.

IMG_1685.JPG

44 minutes ago, whateverearl said:

We're about 10-15 miles south of C'burg. Just a mile north of the Md line.

Very familiar with the area.